crippling lower back pain

CauseImbetta

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After a BJJ class I did a wrong movement and was bed ridden for 3 days with terrible lower back pain. I think it's all muscular. What can I do to heal faster? Or even heal at all? To walk I need crunches.

After a BJJ class I did a wrong movement and was bed ridden for 3 days with terrible lower back pain. I think it's all muscular. What can I do to heal faster? Or even heal at all? To walk I need crunches.
Someone didn’t read the forum rules.

See a doctor.

It’s pretty fucked if you can’t walk without crutches.

Someone didn’t read the forum rules.

See a doctor.

It’s pretty fucked if you can’t walk without crutches.
but he needs crunches

ts, like deadshot said, see a doctor. maybe it's just lumbago and it should get better every day. try hot tub, ibu, easy pelvic movements. if you got sciatica, it's another story.

get well

Last edited:
It's getting better thankfully. Was 100% muscle. I just wanted to ask what you guys did in this situation. Any specific exercises, etc.

It's getting better thankfully. Was 100% muscle. I just wanted to ask what you guys did in this situation. Any specific exercises, etc.

Go see a doctor and they will put you on a 5-7 steroid pack and give you non-narcotic muscle relaxers. I've had this happen 3 times. The first time I didn't go to the doctor and let it heal on its own. It took a while. The second and third time I went to the doctor. The steroids help A TON and sped up the process by quite a bit. They will also give you a booklet of stretches to do.

I’ve always been able to do ibuprofen and a chiropractor but if you’re that laid up I’d go to a dr soon. Maybe an urgent care.

My friends are swearing by the effectiveness of bjj-yoga. I'm gonna have to start doing this.

Are you a relatively new student or have you recently intensified your training? I had almost 10 years of grappling experience but started BJJ up again 2 years ago after about 7 years off. First few months I had pretty bad neck and back aches, particularly after rolling with bigger stronger guys. I chalk it up to both my body re-adjusting to the routine, and me being rusty and rolling very stiffly which made me prone to injury.

Several times my neck or lower back were hurting bad enough that I couldn't lie down properly and sleep for 2 nights in a row. Slow stretching seemed to help, as did very light cardio like stationary bike to get the blood flowing. If you're in too much pain to touch your toes (I was), a good low impact stretch is get in turtle position on your hands and knees and arch your back up and down.

In my case, my body adjusted after about 2 or 3 months into training and I started rolling more relaxed which reduced my injury rate.

Get a mri first, then see a doctor.

Are you a relatively new student or have you recently intensified your training? I had almost 10 years of grappling experience but started BJJ up again 2 years ago after about 7 years off. First few months I had pretty bad neck and back aches, particularly after rolling with bigger stronger guys. I chalk it up to both my body re-adjusting to the routine, and me being rusty and rolling very stiffly which made me prone to injury.

Several times my neck or lower back were hurting bad enough that I couldn't lie down properly and sleep for 2 nights in a row. Slow stretching seemed to help, as did very light cardio like stationary bike to get the blood flowing. If you're in too much pain to touch your toes (I was), a good low impact stretch is get in turtle position on your hands and knees and arch your back up and down.

In my case, my body adjusted after about 2 or 3 months into training and I started rolling more relaxed which reduced my injury rate.

I have been doing BJJ for 20 years. Just recently however my back has been acting up. I think it also comes with changing your style. These days I'm more top-heavy getting out of the guard and trying to pass strong legs and of course the second you have bad technique your back goes out the window. I was in bed for 3 days with crippling back pain but now I can start walking around again I did not see a doctor I used a535 rub and a series of painkillers to get through it. I learned now the only thing is time. Time heals all.

Now I do about 50 sit-ups everyday. Strong abs/core will make a strong back. Proper technique will ensure you won't get injured. Good time off will ensure recovery. These three things are gold. Would you agree? Painkillers are just a temporary Band-Aid to a long-term solution.

I have been doing BJJ for 20 years. Just recently however my back has been acting up. I think it also comes with changing your style. These days I'm more top-heavy getting out of the guard and trying to pass strong legs and of course the second you have bad technique your back goes out the window. I was in bed for 3 days with crippling back pain but now I can start walking around again I did not see a doctor I used a535 rub and a series of painkillers to get through it. I learned now the only thing is time. Time heals all.

Now I do about 50 sit-ups everyday. Strong abs/core will make a strong back. Proper technique will ensure you won't get injured. Good time off will ensure recovery. These three things are gold. Would you agree? Painkillers are just a temporary Band-Aid to a long-term solution.

I agree with all of this except the sit-ups part. I used to do tons of sit ups and crunches but found this only exacerbated hunched over posture. I think you would agree your body needs as much muscle around your lower back as possible to keep it in alignment and handle the stresses of grappling, particularly an aggressive top game (like mine) where you're regularly attempting passes, takedowns and initiating scrambles.

Three best exercises I've found to achieve this are in order: deadlifts, squats and hyperextensions on a roman chair. After I got my power rack for the basement, I only do the first two and they've kept my back strong and healthy for grappling.

You also touched on and can't overemphasize the recovery aspect. I'm a believer that there's no such thing as overtraining. Only under-recovery. As an older guy now, I can still go balls out in training and redline myself to roll 6+ rounds full speed, back to back. But if I do that I need to take at least the next day off with good sleep and preferably 2 days. No way I can do that every day, sometimes twice/day like I did in my early 20's. My goal now is to rarely if ever redline my body, so I avoid training when I'm feeling run down. Since I started doing this, my injury rate has gone down dramatically.

I agree with all of this except the sit-ups part. I used to do tons of sit ups and crunches but found this only exacerbated hunched over posture. I think you would agree your body needs as much muscle around your lower back as possible to keep it in alignment and handle the stresses of grappling, particularly an aggressive top game (like mine) where you're regularly attempting passes, takedowns and initiating scrambles.

Three best exercises I've found to achieve this are in order: deadlifts, squats and hyperextensions on a roman chair. After I got my power rack for the basement, I only do the first two and they've kept my back strong and healthy for grappling.

You also touched on and can't overemphasize the recovery aspect. I'm a believer that there's no such thing as overtraining. Only under-recovery. As an older guy now, I can still go balls out in training and redline myself to roll 6+ rounds full speed, back to back. But if I do that I need to take at least the next day off with good sleep and preferably 2 days. No way I can do that every day, sometimes twice/day like I did in my early 20's. My goal now is to rarely if ever redline my body, so I avoid training when I'm feeling run down. Since I started doing this, my injury rate has gone down dramatically.

Cool. By the way, this is amazing and helped me:

Cool. By the way, this is amazing and helped me:

Yeah the hip thrusts on the balance ball look like very similar to hyperextensions on a roman chair. The back stretch machine at the therapist is effective I'm sure but looks a little highfalutin to me. I probably get the same effect by hanging from a pull-up bar or dip bar when my back is feeling tight. If I'm feeling really tight I ask someone to hang on my legs while I hang on the bar.

Last edited:
See a doc but I'd recommend strengthening your core and your glutes. Hip thrusts and planks. Hot baths will help in the meantime also.

Obviously go to the doctor as everyone has said but take it from a person who has dealt with and overcome crippling back injuries and stretch your hips out thoroughly for a week. Other than maybe bed rest, this should be your first action along with walking.

At the beginning your back will be inflamed beyond all fuck. There is no sense in trying to do anything for the first week. After that start walking a little bit and like i said before hammer the hip mobility. A lot of lower back pain stems from excessively tight hip structures among other things.Tight hip flexors/psoas will tug on the lower lumbar. People spend too much time shortening the hip flexors than they do stretching it (if ever) which is why we are so riddled with back issues.

Worry about the preventative measures later. Currently you are already fucked up. Strengthing your glutes and hips should be obvious but at this point it's futile until you fix yourself.

Last edited:

Bingo.

Sit-ups and most flexion based ab work is absolute garbage for back health. Way too much spinal flexion. More emphasis on anti movements should be prioritized. The abs should be trained the way the Spine functions, which is like a sailing mast or a pillar with minimal movement. The more movement you subject your lower lumbar to the more susceptible it is to breakage, much like steel. Spinal flexion shouldn't necesarrily be ommited as it's still incredibly important but it definitely needs to be moderated and endless situps and lack of hip mobility is a fast track to back injuries. The back only has a finite amount of bends.

For instance instead of doing rotational work you should do anti-rotational work. Here is a paloff press so you can see what i mean.

You essentially work all the rotational muscles without the wear and tear of excessive spinal movement.

Anti-Lateral Flexion

Anti flexion excercises are plentiful from deadlifts/squats/ ab roll out/ planks ect. The commonality here is that they all challenge you to maintain spinal stability.

Build the anti movements, hips and glutes, Stretch out the hips and don't sit too often and you will correct most back issues.

Avoid dehydration seriously
N1 thing
(You should NEVER feel thirsty)
Think how much liquid you drink a day (beer doesn’t count as coffee and Coca-Cola) bet you, you’ll realize you don’t drink the 2 liters minimum you should (8 glasses or cups of liquid a day)

Simplest advice I can give you
Take care of your back man
Back it’s serious business
Solve that or expect neck issues in a couple years

Back