Creatine weight gain

Gsoares2***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On average does any one else notice imediate weight gain from creatine?..
I think ive put on five pounds soley from using it.. but i think this is a five pounds that will drop right off when i quit taking it... anyone else experience this?

If you stop using it, you could lose that weight immediately...I guess it depends. Every time I stop using it, I seem to lose the weight I put on.

thats what im thinking.. and hoping as well. because when i began taking it there was an imediate weight gan of around 5lbs. I think it will drop off when i come off the creatine at the end of this month.

I will need to make weight for a competition and that 5 lbs comming off will be a big help.

It's water-weight. Nothing more.

kabuki is 5lbs a norm? in a 200lb guy?

i was hoping and thinking the same thing..

Absolutely, 5-15 lbs of water-weight gain while on creatine is absolutely normal. As soon as you stop taking it, it drains back off.

I always thought that the point of it was that having the increased water in your cells will actually help you increase what you can lift, hence actually increasing your strength permanently, although it will go down a bit once you are off of it.

The point is that you have more ATP and its precurser in your cells so that you have more 'short term' energy.
Personally I can't remember why the water weight comes about.

I put on like 7 lbs of water weight (when I haven't trained, i lose like 3-4lbs then) in like 3 days on it

wasnt really asking about strength gains. More concerned with the weight that was put on immediatley after i began taking it.... i was at 205 now i weigh 212.. I need to be at 195 when i fight.. so thats why i was concerned.

Creatine is known for retaining a lot of water when you take it, especially right off the bat when it is 1st introduced into your system..That is why the labels on creatine products recommend lots of water. It also takes credit for the sometimes "puffy" or "bloated" appearance creatine can give users.

When you cycle it, the water weight will taper off when you are on your off-cycle. Ive heard of people gaining as much as around 15-20lbs when they are on-cycle,and losing most of it when they are off.

Gsoares2 said:
wasnt really asking about strength gains. More concerned with the weight that was put on immediatley after i began taking it.... i was at 205 now i weigh 212.. I need to be at 195 when i fight.. so thats why i was concerned.
Stacking Glutamine while im taking creatine I find helps striation as oppose to puffiness, I've known guys who it has the opposite effect on, might wanna give that try, will add more weight though so best to try when you dont have to worry about lbs.

You guys know that there is creatinepyruvate that you just need to take immediately before traning. No need to charge up 5 days before it kicks in.

wamrage said:
I always thought that the point of it was that having the increased water in your cells will actually help you increase what you can lift, hence actually increasing your strength permanently, although it will go down a bit once you are off of it.
Its biggest benefit I think is the fact that it acts as kind of a buffer for holding off on the lactic acid build up in your muscles, thats really what lets you train longer to exhaustion.

Ian1983 said:
The point is that you have more ATP and its precurser in your cells so that you have more 'short term' energy.
Personally I can't remember why the water weight comes about.

I put on like 7 lbs of water weight (when I haven't trained, i lose like 3-4lbs then) in like 3 days on it

Yeah, this is the point. There are three energy systems on which your muscles operate: the oxidative system, the glycoytic system, and the phosphagen/phosphate system. Creatine phosphate is converted to ATP in the third when the muscles need it.

The water retention is a bonus because it lubricates the joints and increaes leverage: both are believed to help prevent injury with the heavier lifting.

I took creatine for a few months about a year ago. I noticed the water-weight gain right off the bat. I stopped taking creatine though because I found that it made me extremely jittery, for example at wrestling practice after a tuff session I would sit down and my feet and hands would be shaking kind of. It stopped when I stopped taking creatine, I didn't think it was anything serious though.

Back