Creatine and salt question

KLudwig64

White Belt
Reaction score
I remember some time ago where someone on this forum suggested using just "a pinch of salt" mixed with their creatine monohydrate in water for absorption. i'm hardpressed to believe this because i've searched endlessly not only on this forum but on the internet in general and have came up with nothing. i believe the poster who suggested this was Ronin but i could be mistaken. if someone wants to back this up, please do. thanks

I recall this statement as well I believe it was suggesting salt would help increase insulin levels and help with absorption, but Im unsure.

I recall this statement as well I believe it was suggesting salt would help increase insulin levels and help with absorption, but Im unsure.

Why would salt increase insulin levels? I could see an argument for sugar (and I've seen people advocating taking creating with juice) for this reason.

There was a study published that someone posted here suggesting that sodium increased creatine absorption. I don't remember the reason or the source right now though. Try searching it on here.

Sodium spiking has a different mechanism of absorbtion of nutrients vs insulin spiking.

This is from a knowledgeable poster who doesn't come here anymore unfortunately.

No, the best way is through sodium. Creatine is transported into cells via the sodium pump. The reason sugar/insulin response works, but not as efficiently. One of the MANY things insulin does is cause cells to extrude sodium, which then causes them to reuptake Na back.

Back