Creatine and Insomnia

carlsonbjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been taking GNC monohydrate for 2 weeks now, and for the past 7 days it has taken me 2 hours to fall asleep each night. My gains, however, have been great. I take a spoonfull of mono and mix it with water.
So today I am going to start a break from the creatine and see if my sleep returns to normal.

I would like to continue supplementation with creatine, but i am thinking about halving the dose or something. Also, the monohydrate seems to affect sleep more than the other forms.

Any advice on how I should proceed? The thing I like most about the GNC mono is the cost, so I would like to stick to this type.

i've never heard that happening with anyone. what else do you take with it, what are you doing when you take it, etc?

I have never heard of this before. Any other supplements you are taking?

I've been trying to figure out the same thing, honestly. My sleeping has been all sorts of FUBAR the last week or so. I thought it was stress about a specific thing in my life, but once that was over, my sleep was still shot. The only new thing in my diet/supplement/daily routine has been creatine, for about the last 2ish weeks

Then again, may just be stress.

I take a spoonful, which may be more than 5 g.Usually I take it with water at 1 in the afternoon or so. I am taking protein and magnesium right before I sleep. I havent had this problem when I took some post workout mix that had 3 g of creatine, but they were probably creatine ee or some other type as well. I am taking vitamin d and glucosamine too. It might be stress as well, but when I lay down it generally takes me 2 hours to fall asleep.
I think maybe creatine improves cognitive performance and it is keeping my mind too energetic to fall asleep at the moment. But I am going to take a break from it for a couple days and then repost.

and lanp,I have been on the mono for exactly two weeks, so we are remarkably in the same boat. What type of creatine are you using?

Update: yesterday I did not take my dose of creatine and I slept well and for 9 hours. I am going to skip creatine for a few days and then resume with half spoonfull or something.

I have been taking GNC monohydrate for 2 weeks now, and for the past 7 days it has taken me 2 hours to fall asleep each night. My gains, however, have been great. I take a spoonfull of mono and mix it with water.
So today I am going to start a break from the creatine and see if my sleep returns to normal.

I would like to continue supplementation with creatine, but i am thinking about halving the dose or something. Also, the monohydrate seems to affect sleep more than the other forms.

Any advice on how I should proceed? The thing I like most about the GNC mono is the cost, so I would like to stick to this type.

dont take creatine at night. take it in the morning to stay awake...that should do it then..

I've noticed this a little bit also. I'm not sure if it's the result of taking creatine later in the day and/or working out later in the day. I'm fine when I take it & lift mornings and afternoons, but it's seemed to screw with my sleep if I take if & lift (hard!) in the evenings.

Take a look at the ingredients of the creatine and tell us what's listed.

Some creatine supps have added stimulants in there in the assumption that you are taking them prior to working out.

Take a look at the ingredients of the creatine and tell us what's listed.

Some creatine supps have added stimulants in there in the assumption that you are taking them prior to working out.

He said that he is taking the GNC creatine monohydrate which is just pure monohydrate and nothing else. So no stimulants there. But as some suggested already there have been studies that show that creatine might improve brain function which in turn might affect sleep with some people.

He said that he is taking the GNC creatine monohydrate which is just pure monohydrate and nothing else. So no stimulants there. But as some suggested already there have been studies that show that creatine might improve brain function which in turn might affect sleep with some people.

Well there goes that theory.

I'm thinking about buying some anabolic OD because I dont recall having sleep trouble while I took that, and I felt it worked.

is it possible that another type of creatine would do better for my sleep?

Also, is it better to take creatine mono with fruit punch? I was just taking it with water, not sure if this would make any difference

Sorry for the multitudes of questions, but I dont think that my the gnc creatine is micronized. Would this make a difference as far as side effects? Would it be worth it to swtich to a micronized creatine?

Well there goes that theory.

Here's the kind that I've been using...
all_am_efx_kre-alkalyn_-_pills.jpg

http://http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/aap/kre.html
I was up all night again last night :icon_neut

Here's the kind that I've been using...
all_am_efx_kre-alkalyn_-_pills.jpg

http://http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/aap/kre.html
I was up all night again last night :icon_neut

I'm using that right now and almost done with it. I think I will switch back to regular monohydrate though. It's a great creatine but GNC mono is just a way better deal. But Krealkalyn is the only creatine I suggest outside of regualr monoydrate.

Back