Create an MMA organization

Scott Lawlor

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Scenario: You've been given free reign over the MMA world, you can make your own organization that is purely for your own entertainment.

Name: What are you going to call it?

President/Promoter: You're the Lorenzo in this, but you need your Dana.

Cage or Ring? (If cage, how many sides, or is it a circle?)

How many weight classes? Will you include WMMA?

Belt, trophy or plaque? (UFC, Bellator, PRIDE, Strikeforce, WEC, inspired belts, or a trophy, or the glass TUF plaque?)

Gloves: UFC; PRIDE; Strikeforce; etc.

How does judging work? 10-Point must system? PRIDE? Alternative?

Bout Duration: How many rounds and minutes per round?

(2) Fight Announcers: Who's going to be calling it?

Rules: You know what to do

How often are events? Going to have tons like the UFC, or smaller, stacked shows?

Contender Format: Tournament style like Bellator, or a case-by-case basis as in most organizations? Or maybe even have them fight multiple times in one night like PRIDE?

NPA (NATIONAL PANKRATION ASSOCIATION)

Randy+Couture+Spike+TV+Guys+Choice+Show+797nWa9dWrwl.jpg

President/Promoter: Randy Couture

First off, Couture is a legend of the sport, so he's going to be respected by both the fighters and the fans.
Secondly, he's got that "Captain America" badass look, which makes him a cool face to represent the sport.

ufc_octagon_original_display_image.jpg

Cage or Ring?: Octagon

How many weight classes?
Men's FLW-HW

I support WMMA, but I'm just not a fan of it. This hypothetical organization is purely for my entertainment anyway.

UFCWelterweightChampGeorgesStPierre5.jpg

Belt, trophy or plaque?
UFC-inspired belt

mma_e_melendez11_576.jpg

Gloves:
Strikeforce styled red & blue.

How does judging work?
Alternative

Three judges score the bout using the 10-point must system but with the addition of half-points.
Also, each judge will have experience in one aspect of MMA.
One judge with a background in striking, another in wrestling, and another in submission grappling.
Hopefully with half-points and diverse, knowledgeable judges, we could render better scores.

Bout Duration:3 5-minute rounds, or 5, 5-minute rounds in title fights and headliners.

09-Horodecki-LierlyDSC_0113-300.jpg

(2) Fight Announcers: Bas Rutten & Kenny Florian
Don't get me wrong, I love Joe Rogan, but I'd be lying if I said he didn't annoy me a lot with his commentary.
Drastically hyping up guys ("Che Mills is a monster"), prematurely calling the end of fights, constantly saying guy's are hurt, etc.

Rules:
Almost identical to most MMA organizations, but I'll allow 12-6 elbows, and simply placing your hand on the mat doesn't make you a "downed opponent".

How often are events?
Probably bi-weekly shows.

Contender Format:
A tournament to produce my original champions, but from then one it'd be a case-by-case of who I think deserves the shot more.

Instead of scoring a round 10-8.5, why not just score it a 10-8? Half points are an overly complicated idea, given that we only use two points of the available ten.

Your promotion seems very similar to the UFC.

Instead of scoring a round 10-8.5, why not just score it a 10-8? Half points are an overly complicated idea, given that we only use two points of the available ten.

Your promotion seems very similar to the UFC.

Because 10-8s are rarely ever used. Every judge seems determined to score every round 10-9 and you have to nearly kill a guy to get 10-8. Hopefully with a half point they could be more lenient.

And yes, its similar because most MMA organizations run similarly and because I like the way the UFC runs things...for the most part.

Because 10-8s are rarely ever used. Every judge seems determined to score every round 10-9 and you have to nearly kill a guy to get 10-8. Hopefully with a half point they could be more lenient.

Lol. You still do not get my point. What you want is for judges to loosen up their overly tight scoring. A half point versus a full point is just semantics.

I think it would be easier to encourage judges to make full use of the system already in place as opposed to implementing a new system.

It would take place in an octagon, the full sized octagon.

I would have 3, 6 minute rounds for regular fights. 5, 6 minute rounds for championship fights and other selected fights.

It would be a 10 point judging system by round. There would be 5 judges for each 3 round fight and 7 judges for 5 round fights.

Rules would be unified rules + leg to head on ground + downward elbows + headbutts to below the neck.

There would be 8 shows per month. 1 PPV, 3 upper/mid level, and 4 mid/new level. Each show would get a countdown show and/or a 24/7 show.

Back