Crazy Monkey Defense?

As a CM trainer, I have to say that it is not just for beginers. It is great for beginners and will help you to develop a good level of game very quickly, but that doesn't mean it's limited to beginers.

CMD allows you to build your attribute/technical game behind the foundation which the CM Phase 1 establishes. Most people only know this phase and aren't familar with the rest of the system which spans across stand up, clinch and ground.

As you start to develop you will play a more technical game and your attributes (reflexes, timing, slipping, bobbing, weaving) etc will naturally develop. Would a beginner in CM be able to beat an expereince technical fighter, no, but what beginner would. However, the beginner CM player would be able to survive and stay safer rather than blocking punches with there face continually.

I have clients with a background in other styles (boxing, Muay Thai) and whilst their game have been good from day one of coming in the door and have really pushed my own personal game, CM has made them better.... and now they are a complete pain in the butt to spar with ;-P We have given them tools to utilise in their game, or fall back to solid foundations when the s*%t hits the fan and their attribute game has been broken down.

Is CM infalable, no, nothing is, but it's the best thing I've come across so far and until something comes along which can improve my game and every client that walks through our doors to the degree CM has I'm sticking with it.

If you want to now anything more, feel free to email me as I don't attend the forums daily. [email protected]

I love watching Rampage use the CMD. :icon_twis

As a CM trainer, I have to say that it is not just for beginers. It is great for beginners and will help you to develop a good level of game very quickly, but that doesn't mean it's limited to beginers.

If you want to now anything more, feel free to email me as I don't attend the forums daily. [email protected]

Cool stuff, Chris. By no means did I mean to imply CMD would be ineffective at higher levels, rather the intention of that part of my post was to illustrate the incredible diversity of offensive/defense styles within both boxing and muay thai, and that one cannot compete in a given sport knowing ONLY one style.

Since too often on these forums we see guys searching for "the end all ultimate boxing tactics" where in fact there is none :)

this is me to a tee,just gone in to mma looking to have my first fight in the next 3 months time ive done some striking before but all just pad work,and not for over 6 months.first time mma sparring the other day and got owned in the stand-up is the cmd champion dvd worth getting?

I haven't purchased that DVD set, though I watched some clips from it and thought it was good stuff.

I don't know what your grappling skillset is like or your style, goto moves, etc. so I can't really give you much advice over an internet forum, but if I were you I'd focus my training on using that CMD cage and observing when a guy commits

Because you see, a guy might throw whatever strikes at you but sooner or later will go for a power shot, putting his weight into it. At this point his takedown defense is minimal, and working on your timing to identify this is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of striking practice. Working on how to stand and trade with the other guy is probably the worst use of your time

I haven't purchased that DVD set, though I watched some clips from it and thought it was good stuff.

I don't know what your grappling skillset is like or your style, goto moves, etc. so I can't really give you much advice over an internet forum, but if I were you I'd focus my training on using that CMD cage and observing when a guy commits

Because you see, a guy might throw whatever strikes at you but sooner or later will go for a power shot, putting his weight into it. At this point his takedown defense is minimal, and working on your timing to identify this is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of striking practice. Working on how to stand and trade with the other guy is probably the worst use of your time

Good advice. Play to your strengths.

Oh and ambertch, you are also right on the styles front, and this is what you develop as you advance in CM. Various styles come out like pressurer, runner, angler, counter puncher or a mix of these. Also you have your various tools that people like to use, punches, kicks, clinch, knees, etc. Our sparring sessions have a complete mix of styles and body types, but we all use CM principles in our game.

Crazy Monkey does NOT start and end with the hand defense (not directed at anyone, just a statement).

Good one :D

quinton-jackson_wanderlie-silva.gif

Back