Crazy Gracie family "Game of Thrones" story

Lots of misinformation in this. No he was not the first. The gracies learned Judo originally and got private tutoring in catch.
Wasn't that Japanese dude Mitsuyo who brought Judo to Brazil and they developed BJJ shortly after?

Lots of misinformation in this. No he was not the first. The gracies learned Judo originally and got private tutoring in catch.
the first one to modify the already established jiu jitsu of his father i mean.
They say most of Rickson's knowledge comes from Rolls. You can see that there is a big difference between rickson style and all the other brothers who learn mostly from helio

It wasn't even named Judo back then nor as polished as it is now.
still catch wrestling involved in the helio and carlos days. i don't mean to knit pick. its just a habit because these tend to be cult threads. thanks to the TS for posting this.

They say most of Rickson's knowledge comes from Rolls. You can see that there is a big difference between rickson style and all the other brothers who learn mostly from helio
gotcha. yeah i think where i sometimes get the eye roll is a lot of them act like they came up with this out of thin air but yeah the gracies eventually caught onto cross training. even royce worked on muay thai for a while.

Just find out about Rolls Gracie, real game of thrones kinda story. Why isn't this guy mentioned more often?

> Being son to both carlos and helio (and having to be threated as a bastard by both sides).
> Rivalizing with all his brothers from both sides, still managing to best of all of them (even as one of the smallest of the family).
> Used the benefit of being a flight attendant's son to travel the world and train other martial arts.
> The first gracie to mixted jiu jitsu with other fighting styles. (wrestling and sambo)
> Arguably the most influential guy to jiu jitsu (Only lived 31 years)
> Real potential to have been the GOAT if he had not died so early in a hang gliding accident.

Great story teller the video guy by the way, no bias

George was already cross-trainin´ in the 50s with... the Luta Livre school (see his feud with the rest of the family)...

Meanwhile:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-day-ufc-1-was-really-born-41.3964531/

You have to wonder what kind of names they're gonna be coming up with in 20 years time... Ronaldinho Gracie... Raspberry Gracie... Rising Sun Gracie... Rotten Gracie... And so on...

In all
seriousness though, i bookmarked the video to watch tomorrow, nice one.

Reisenberg Gracie

They still claim that luta livre was just a variant of jiu jitsu created by rebel students that did not want anything to do with gis and belts
Well, technically... Manoel Rufino, when he fought Carlos in 1934, was definitely not a rebel student...

Note:

Luta Livre ~ Catch Wrasslin´ + Greco-Roman Wrasslin´ + JJJ

Jus´curious, who said that?

Well, technically... Manoel Rufino, when he fought Carlos in 1934, was definitely not a rebel student...

Note:

Jean jacques in the Rogan podcast.

He must have meant JJJ, not BJJ, right?

either luta livre decay in the course of decades or ju jitsu really evolves cause in the 90s luta livre was getting their asses kicked in almost every jj vs luta livre vale tudo fight ( and supposedly their advantage for no gi fights). Luta livre didn't even left rio, it died in the ghettos of the city

Last edited:
either luta livre decay in the course of decades or ju jitsu really evolves cause in the 90s luta livre was getting their asses kicked in almost every jj vs luta livre vale tudo fight ( and supposedly their advantage for no girl fights). Luta livre didn't even left rio, it died in the ghettos of the city
hmm...some potential 'inaccuracies' there:

BJJ vs LL:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/d...-part-9-bjj-during-the-vale-tudo-era.3826197/

LL in Brazil:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-23-cross-training-in-mma´s-dark-ages.3874607/

North-East: Euclides Pereira,Ivan Gomes
South: Master Tatu

Last edited:
their family will be forgotten by the end of the decade. Kron is straight dog shit

Crazy that from the rolls arriving home as helio's "first" son, also came the other children.
Since helio's first wife couldn't bare children she allowed him to get rolls' nanny pregnant and raise them as her own. So all the other helio's sons also had two moms.

Sounds like the old testament. Except that Abraham ended up abandonning his bastard Ismael in the desert with the mother.

Back