News Crawford vs Porter does 135k units

He has all the charisma of an autistic 12 year old boy. They were trying so, so hard to hype him and he'd answer their questions with single words and said "I don't know" to about a third of their softball questions.
That sounded almost insulting. I thought that his skills in the ring would be enough to carry him throughout his career, but then if pro boxing is one thing other than a professional sport, it's also a business where having a personality that attracts people (whether positive or even negative, if people actually tuned in hyped to see Mayweather lose and/or Mayorga get lit up) does wonders for increasing revenue from all those PPV buys.

Existence of COVID and its restrictions may have prevented people from filling up the arena to its max capacity though.

Supplementary to this: I actually think Mayweather had to earn more rounds than a lot of other top fighters. He doesn't get those lopsided cards that people raise an eyebrow at like other fighters.
It might be tough for you to believe this, but some of those decisions that did not go in Mayweather's favour (with the Canelo draw, and the Oscar de la hoya fight where it lead to a SD)? It's almost like some of the judges who evaluated those fights had every intention on seeing Mayweather lose.

He always managed to crawl out of tight situations like those though.

That sounded almost insulting. I thought that his skills in the ring would be enough to carry him throughout his career, but then if pro boxing is one thing other than a professional sport, it's also a business where having a personality that attracts people (whether positive or even negative, if people actually tuned in hyped to see Mayweather lose and/or Mayorga get lit up) does wonders for increasing revenue from all those PPV buys

I try to get those around me to watch boxing, he's a tough guy to sell. His talent is under appreciated because he's unable to show even a bit of himself on camera. Guys with limited English give more engaging interviews. He's between a rock and a hard place in that he's not a draw to casuals because there's not a ton of personality there and he hasn't gotten the fights the hardcores want to watch him in.

From a sports standpoint a 50-50 split against Spence is the way to go.

That being said Spence has 2 belts and is obviously a bigger draw.

These guys have many options to screw it up.

I thought this would sell 170k Max so it's ok.

Tbh... Crawford is delusional when it comes to price fighting and he wont be the A side.

Boxing already has one of the worst PPV models and is one of the worst marketed sports in the states, now add Crawford ""boring"" personality and he fights 1 time a year... Voila.

Dont get me wrong,hhe's one of the most talented fighters I've ever seen. All the guys in my old man's gym and even my old man watched every Crawford fight, that's how special he is but Crawford knows shit about price fighting. Orgs like WWE, UFC and others make fighters popular but he doesn't have that luxury.

Only a freak show fight could boost his popularity.

Last edited:
Crawford is a worse draw than the UFC flyweight division
Far cry from the numbers the division used to draw

I don't think its personality is the main culprit, but the low level competition (or in the case of a good fighter, after their decline) he's fighting.
If he was taking in all the options he had (as spence is doing), he would be much appreciated.

Porter is the first top boxer he has taken so far.

I feel like the hypesters have consistently done a disservice by slobbering over him and talking about him being in the running for pfp best. It just turns people off to insult their intelligence.

From a sports standpoint a 50-50 split against Spence is the way to go.

That being said Spence has 2 belts and is obviously a bigger draw.

These guys have many options to screw it up.

60/40 business wise ….

These number are sinking

first 190k, then 150k ...he will struggle to break even soon

I think omaha is not exactly a hotbed for sports, i gather, errol spence has texas behind him, he only needs 0.5% for the population of the PPV to be a success.
Never thought of that

The entire population of Omaha is 840k and Dallas’ population is 1.6 million, also didn’t help having a ppv after casuals got their fix with Canelo’s ppv, I bet even hardcore fans skipped on Bud’s ppv

So much for Arum's prediction that the PPV being exclusive to ESPN+ would automatically mimic UFC numbers and a minimum of 500K buys.

https://fightnews.com/crawford-porter-for-espn-subscribers-only/124181#more-124181
(Arum)
“Two, the other platforms don’t do particularly well anymore on pay-per-view, so we thought, and I’m sure it’s going to work, that going on ESPN+ exclusively, we will do in this fight UFC kind of pay-per-view numbers – which can be as low as 500,000 and as high as 1.5 million.

“That’s our goal and I really believe both Terence and Porter are in for a big big surprise when they see the pay-per-view results.”

Last edited:
That's a real shame. Crawford's fighting style and how he is able to knock out guys with almost looping hands is quite unique in its own way.

He should get more media exposure as a fighter because tbf, at least he can KO people just fine.

The ending to that Porter fight hardly adds to his stock though because the ending was horrible.

But the boxing game has its own set of business rules and guidelines, sometimes even outside of the ring itself. Just wish that Crawford would be more willing to take a big name instead of playing it safe, y'know.

I'm guessing the ppv buys were meh because majority of boxing fans instinctively knew how this fight would play out...
Nothing wrong with that ending, Porter was knocked down twice in one round, the next time would have been even easier than the last because Porter was badly hurt and lost his composure. It shows a very intelligent corner to stop the fight before he suffered further damage. And that stoppage definitely stands out for Crawford because Porter had never been stopped before. He's now solidified himself as a capable finisher.

Back