Crawford and Thurman are PPV stars in the making;but right now,their marketing sucks.

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by gnarlynasty, Jul 24, 2016.

1. gnarlynasty

gnarlynasty Yellow Belt

Especially HBO's marketing,Crawford vs Postol had 0 hype whatsoever. Maybe if he fights Pacquiao they will promote him more but still. Both guys are American and have somewhat of a personality,their young and both undefeated,their promotions are just focusing too much on the boxing and not focusing on who they are.

Mayweather became the star he is cause he touched every type of fan there was with the way he marketed. Even though his fights were lackluster,he sold them cause of his personality. Thurman and Crawford has a chance to be that if they get more press and more chances to show who they are.

I hope promoters(looking at HBO)isn't expecting a Canelo to carry the PPV game on his back. He sells alright,but Crawford and Thurman have a chance to be real PPV stars as long as they keep winning and get true marketing.

2. Marc A

Marc A Being broke is being dishonest

Have to agree here. I think the promoters dont invest much for fear the fighter becomes too big and they cant control him .. just a guess

3. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

Crawford also needs to step up the action if he wants to be a bigger draw. He is never going to sell a fight based on his personality.

4. FaTaL FaTaL

FaTaL FaTaL Purple Belt

thurman probably has a better chance of being a star because hes fighting on tv right now

if crawford ko's pac he'll be up next

5. Queen B

Queen B Silver Belt

They need to get paid a little less and spend some time with a marketing agency.

UFC has very good relationships with agencies. We already have Nate Diaz confirmed for Conan, and PVZ in production for commercials.

Boxing needs to do the same, especially with the money these boxers get.

6. Shoemaker

Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE**** Platinum Member

A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    I didn't think I was biased for Crawford at all, but maybe I am because I didn't think last nights fight was that bad. I completely disagreed with Harolds assessment that Crawford could end the fight whenever he wanted. Postol was outmatched, but he never looked ready to go. It did kind of lull in the mid-late rounds though. I guess I see what people were saying, but I didn't personally have an issue with the overall pace of the fight. I was interested throughout.

DaveDave likes this.
  7. Shoemaker

Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE**** Platinum Member

A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    I agree that Crawford is about as charismatic as a cactus. I'm not sure there's much you can do to make him an interesting person. He's probably gonna settle with Ward level popularity. Huge following in his home town, problems filling seats elsewhere.

BamaBoy91 likes this.
  8. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

I don't think he's boring, but he definitely fights very safely a lot of the time. I'm not one to tell the guy to not be safe, since he is the one in a dangerous sport. But just from a popularity standpoint, it certainly helps to step on the gas. If you do not have charisma, that is pretty much your path to popularity.

Shoemaker likes this.
  9. tehmvp

tehmvp WBA Super Neighborhood Champion Platinum Member

Crawford usually does step on the gas when he feels he can put his man away. I'll have to give the whole fight a watch to see what changed, but I suspect that it had to do with Postol being really tough, as well as the stakes being higher.

From the highlights, it seemed Postol didn't give Crawford the openings to open up like he wanted because he went into survival mode after getting dropped in the 5th.

nac386 likes this.
  10. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

If ufc had brilliant relationships at advertising its roster wouldn't have pissed its pants at wearing reebok and Conor would've fought at ufc 200 instead of Jones getting booted off the card and Bork busted for banned substancds

11. Queen B

Queen B Silver Belt

Ive been in NYC my whole life, and I can say that within the last 10 years, I havent seen more than 2 months go by WITHOUT a giant UFC billboard in Times Square or Madison Square Garden.

I see UFC marketing here everywhere, on the subways, plastered on buses, etc.

Thats the kind of investment UFC makes. Sure boxing can do that if they were under 1 umbrella. Each promoter expects the other promoter to do the work.

12. ProBoxingInsidr

ProBoxingInsidr Silver Belt

Crawford has zero interest in promoting himself or letting people know who he is. he detests interviews and it shows when he gives them. floyd sold himself in case his fighting didnt do it. crawford wants his fighting to sell him. and as good as he is, it isnt exciting enough to draw in the casuals. therefore, he wont be that kind of star unless something changes drastically

i interviewed him before this fight and it was so bad i didnt even use it. everything is one or two word answers and you can tell he wants to be doing anything but giving an interview

13. Queen B

Queen B Silver Belt

There were stories where he literally goes to watch every big boxing fight and people saying they see him walking around by himself. Nobody notices him, and according to the people that approach him, he isnt very fan friendly.

14. ProBoxingInsidr

i dont pretend to know him well. and he has never been rude or mean, but he does not appear to be friendly at all. at least to those who dont know him. it isnt in a rude or arrogant way, but in a way that he just wants to be left alone. its hard for a lot of these boxers who are not outgoing to grow in the spotlight. some adapt, while others dont.

errol spence was the same, but he has gotten a lot better over the past couple years. andrew tabiti is a lot like that as well.

i wouldnt say he comes to every big event, because i have only seen him at a couple of events here

15. stuff jones

stuff jones Purple Belt

Crawford has the personality of a fathead wall decal and Thurman is a b-level talent.

16. gnarlynasty

gnarlynasty Yellow Belt

Oh well,I wish him luck but he definitely can't sell himself on fighting alone. Tyson,Ali,Mayweather etc all had a charisma that extracted casuals,it's the only way to make it to the next level.

17. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

That Postol fight should have been a platform to prove Crawford was ready for PPV. Instead it was a boring fight that no one watched anyway. HBO has really lost its way in terms of building up fighters. They seem to think they don't need to build guys and that fans will just buy anyway semi competitive fight that they put together.

robjenkins2 likes this.
  18. ProBoxingInsidr

again, not knowing him, he seems content to be what he is. even if he doesnt get to their level, he is still making good money. enough to set him for life if he continues to succeed. and it appears that is ok by him. and if thats the case, good for him

i have seen others with the same attitude, but they still want to be up there with the floyds, etc. not gonna happen unless you put in the work outside the ring as well.