Cranberry Juice Could Prevent Staph Infection

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by KJGould, Sep 11, 2010.

1. KJGould

KJGould Silver Belt

2. Ronwah

Ronwah Knighthood pending Staff Member Senior Moderator

Don't they say Cranberry juice is great for urine infections too? Pretty healthy stuff by all accounts but I'm not a great fan of the after taste from it.

3. KJGould

KJGould Silver Belt

Yeah the article talks about uti's and E-coli in its original research.

I'll take not being a fan of cranberry juice after-taste over being eaten to death by bacteria though.

I have had cranberry & raspberry juice though and I find that's a lot more palatable.

4. DaRuckus337

DaRuckus337 Black Belt

Unless you're planning on bathing in the stuff, this really isn't very helpful. And if you are planning on bathing in the stuff, remember that the standard soap and water would likely be just as effective. Drinking cranberry juice will not prevent skin infections from staph.

5. brackis1

brackis1 Gold Belt Platinum Member

Cocktail meaning a cranberry based juice cocktail; not a delicious capecodder.
    Either way delicious stuff.

6. brackis1

brackis1 Gold Belt Platinum Member

The study was looking at ingested juice and urine samples, not contact/reactions (failing hard with what the technical term might be)

7. KJGould

KJGould Silver Belt

Oral ingestion would probably help internal infections in the digestive system such as the bladder and colon. However if they continue research to try and find what it is in cranberries / cranberry juice that blocks Staph, that could perhaps be extracted or replicated and trials for local administration could begin.

8. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Cockroach Brains vs. MRSA

another good remedy for staph... MMMMMMM cranberry juice and cockroach brains, getting very hungry.

9. KJGould

KJGould Silver Belt

Also we should remember they're looking at urine because there's an abundant supply of it from a full bladder. Urine is comprised of water and urea (among other things), but our sweat also contains water and urea. We know certain foods can effect our sweat and body odour, and if that's the case with cranberry juice then it may help our sweat as a natural sanitiser (sweat, in addition to helping regulate body temperature through heat transfer via evaporation, can help keep the skin clean with natural oils and 'good' bacteria - something excessive use of anti-bacterial soaps can be a hindrance to)

10. Leon

Leon Brown Belt

It tastes like very bad but sure it's healthy.

Just drinking it won't help against skin infections, that's for sure.

I never had problems with my skin in the 4 years I am training now. Just shower directly after training, wash your gi everytime after training, let your gi dry outside.

Maybe I was just lucky ;-)

11. Solidseifer

Solidseifer Brown Belt

What? are you on your period?

12. KJGould

KJGould Silver Belt

I was waiting for a Departed reference :)

Common sense, good hygiene and a good immune system go a long way in reducing the risk of skin infection.

I actually read a month or two back that you should shower before you roll as bacteria on the skin builds up during the day. Just your usual soap or shower gel, nothing anti-bacterial. Shower afterwards as normal, and apply anti-septic skin cream like Savlon to any areas that have become abraded or cut.

Don't share towels, don't share combs or razors, and keep the mats clean regularly.

I'm not sure on the effectiveness of steam cleaning both mats and clothing (like gi's or shorts and rashguards) but I'll look into it at some point.

13. ZuZitsu**

ZuZitsu** Purple Belt

I drink cranberry juice or watered down cranberry juice during class. I did it today in fact. I dont always do it bc it get expensive bc I train everyday but maybe twice a week my water bottle is cranberry juice

NOT bc of staf though....just bc I like the taste and its a good sugar replacement

14. ozyabbas

ozyabbas Purple Belt

Why is there so much hate for Cranberry juice. God damn I love Cranberry juice. It just sucks that it is usually expensive and full of sugars.

15. DaRuckus337

DaRuckus337 Black Belt

Staph A. isn't really an enteric/urogenital bacteria, though. It lives on the skin and in the nose of most people, but it's not a major player in GI/GU disease. I'm not opposed to basic research on antimicrobials etc. - my only point here is that there is little reason for all us grapplers to run out and buy cranberry juice (beyond liking the taste and the vit C), since there is no reason to believe that it prevents the kinds of staph infections we are worried about.

16. underwater

underwater Green Belt

Cranberry juice tastes good?

17. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

I don't mind cranberry juice but it has a lot of sugar. Isn't there some kind of cranberry extract that they sell that you can put it water that doesn't have all the sugar?

18. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

You all must be a bunch of dirty mofos

I have been into grappling for over 5 years,
    judo first at two clubs, one is a small local one, mostly kids. washing the mats was not a regular thing, not even once a month I would reckon, we did sweep the mat before each practise because flies keeps dropping down thru the ceilingventilation

Other club: wasn't there regularly but no washing immidiatly before or after at least, I know we washed the wrestling mat before a big camp but wrestlers are dirt mofos

BJJ and judo at my new club: this is in a bigger location a sports complex and they do have a cleaning staff but never seen them do the mats, we certainly don

19. danielr

danielr Yellow Belt

20. Mat Nemesis**

Mat Nemesis** Green Belt

people do this? you mean they dry off with the same towel at the same time? seems kinda gay.