cramps

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by cvines, Oct 23, 2010.

1. cvines

cvines White Belt

when i work on escaping guard in class, and i sit back on my feet, i have started gettin cramps that shoot up my entire leg that get to tbe point i cant move my feet. when i try to just stretch my legs out to make it better, it just gets worse. what can i do to get rid of these cramps?

2. makaio

makaio Blue Belt

bananas

3. Sayian

Sayian Blue Belt

i used to have the same problem.. i used to cramp so much during training! it fucking sucked and was just so dam painful lol

i started eating twosalted boiled egg every morning, and i have never had cramps since..
    just twosalted boiled egg.. i cut up the boiled egg into several pieces and just salt it a bit. tastes good too

and drink ALOT of water.. which is pretty obvious

4. Water, electrolytes (bananas, salt, sports drinks), and maybe some yoga :icon_chee

5. Freezing Winds**

Freezing Winds** Green Belt

do you get these cramps once a month?

6. Douglas Funnie

Douglas Funnie Green Belt

avocados.

water.

jump rope.

brown pride tattoo.

7. Mooo

Mooo White Belt

Magnesium and lots of water helped me.

8. thedoc56**

thedoc56** Blue Belt

midol..

9. boboplata***

boboplata*** Banned Banned

after warm-ups or sparring, i try to be as active as possible. 5 mins max of rest so my muscles won't get too relaxed.

10. Vovchanchyn Fan

Vovchanchyn Fan Green Belt

Get a solid magnesium supplement, or start eating a lot more cashews (high in magnesium).

Basically magnesium is the "off" and calcium is the "on" for your muscles...get low on magnesium and calcium floods in = cramp.

Recommend jigsaw health's b/c its chelated and time released, meaning much more actual absorption than the cheap stuff at your local supermarket. (no financial interest in their products btw...) (Sustained Release Magnesium Supplements | Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT | Jigsaw Health)

The majority of people in the US are magnesium deficient and athletes tend to be even worse.

As a bonus, your cardio will likely shoot up from restoring your magnesium to proper levels...have seen studies showing that, and tested it on myself as well.

11. MyBodyHurts

MyBodyHurts Blue Belt

I've benefitted a lot from stretching. I eat bananas a lot anyway, but I'm guessing they've helped as well. I've noticed I really benefit from buying gatorade powder and putting some in a gallon of water, so it's basically just very watered down. Regular gatorde to me is too strong and way too many calories, considering I almost drink the entire gallon over about two hours. Anyway, I rarely cramp up anymore and when I do it seems to be because I didn't have time to stretch before class. Might want to give it a try. I hate Walmart, but they sell a huge thing of powdered gatorade for a decent price.

12. MyBodyHurts

MyBodyHurts Blue Belt

Do you take this in the morning, night, before class, etc.?

13. thesaadishsnake

thesaadishsnake Green Belt

Do you a drink a ton of water while you train? Because I used to and I would get crazy cramps.

Only take a sip or two and you'll be fine. But when you're done training, drink a gallon if you need it.

14. Vovchanchyn Fan

Vovchanchyn Fan Green Belt

I just take two with breakfast and two with dinner (4 day = 400mg magnesium).

It's not a pre-workout thing, rather you want to boost your bodies supply of magnesium overall. Your body will store it in your bones, muscles and blood.

You lose magnesium when you sweat, hence one reason athletes need more and are more likely to be deficient.

Hope that helps.