1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Cramping in lower rib area while squatting

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by toonie, Aug 24, 2010.

1. toonie

toonie Tuesday

On Sunday, while warming up for my squats (no belt) I felt a cramping like pain in my left rib area while coming out of the hole. It wasn't painful, it was just annoying. It felt exactly like a cramp from running too soon after eating. Needless to say, on my first work-set when i put my belt on, i failed it coming out of the hole. However, i attribute the fail to the lack of sleep, and long hours at work over the weekend.

Fast forward to today's work-out. I slept good over past couple days and ate very well. Minor cramping during warm-ups (no belt again), and I was able to get first two work-sets up with belt. The cramping got worse in the later work sets. However, there is no pain when pushing the area with my fingers.

I recently got an inzer lever belt (about 2 weeks now) and I've been using it for my squat work sets and deadlift work sets or PR attempts. When i first set it up, it was snug. However, lately its felt much tighter.

Is is possible that the belt has become too tight and I may have hurt something? Or is this possibly part of breaking the belt in?

2. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

Maybe you're squatting too heavy? :D But seriously maybe its the belt being too tight and its compressing against the ribs as you squat which will put a ton of pressure on them.

3. deckingdutchman

deckingdutchman Orange Belt

Lack of water/potassium? That's the most common cause of cramps.

Coulda been lack of sleep too though, like you said.