Media Cowboy on nerves before a fight

He will always shit in the bed when it comes to big fights, even some where he had a good chance of winning.
This. Couple this with his weathered chin, absolute dogshit track record against southpaws, and him saying his gameplan is to stand (uncle Dana bonus) with one of the best southpaw counter strikers in the sport.

Still throwing $20 on cowboy via sub because it's almost 8:1 odds and cowboy might just abandon that gameplan if he survives a hard left.

Funny thing is that I believe in every single word he said, and that is probably EVERY SINGLE Fighter the same.
Only after it starts, you forget about all of the fear and your mind focuses on the opponent in front of you, and the fight takes over.

Now people will make some asinine claims about it, but I think the only ones full of shit are the ones who claim they wouldn't (fans) or don't (fighters) feel anything.
Yeah it's cool that he's being real about it.

Fighting is so fucking nerve wrecking. Even as an amateur just walking out and getting in the ring, it's hard to explain the feeling.

Glenn Hall, hockey-goalie, threw up before every game and he played in 11 All Star Games. Some athletes are just like that.

I'm just hear to laugh at a bunch of keyboard warriors laughing at a professional fighter actually giving an honest appraisal of his fight day emotional rollercoaster.

If you seriously feel no fear going into a fight, something is wrong with you. You're some kind of psychopath or you're just plain too damn dumb to be scared.

Cowboy is such a fkn bipolar weirdo. I like this Cowboy, but when he mixes it with: ”IDGAF, anywhere, anytime, anyone motherfucker! I dont give a fuck, i’ll Fight anybody! I’m a badass fkn cowboy who doesnt give a shit about anything” it makes him look fake and pathetic.
ur a moron?

Funny thing is that I believe in every single word he said, and that is probably EVERY SINGLE Fighter the same.
Only after it starts, you forget about all of the fear and your mind focuses on the opponent in front of you, and the fight takes over.

Now people will make some asinine claims about it, but I think the only ones full of shit are the ones who claim they wouldn't (fans) or don't (fighters) feel anything.
MMA is not for the feint hearted I would recommend Soccer

Cerrone is so unpredictable.

He could smash almost anyone in LW division and also lose to all of them as well. Just depends which Cerrone wakes up that day.
Very true, well said.

Cerrone reminds me a lot of OSP.. not in their style or nothing like that.. but in the sense that they are so hot and cold, sometimes you see them and think wow they can be champion and they look like a killer.. and then next fight they look so flat and vulnerable and sloppy. Really can't work them out.

I always said 2 guys you should never put money on is Cerrone and OSP, they are so unpredictable and very hot and cold fighters. Cerrone could turn up and look like a killer and head kick knock Conor out cold, or he could be very hesitant and tentative and be flat. Like OSP knocked out Corey Anderson brutally with a head kick in 3rd round, then next fight he is gassed to death in round 1 after about 2 minutes and gets beaten very easily by Latifi. So weird

Lol Conor fans still think he’s some unstoppable force with his pillow powered left.

The thing to keep in mind is, almost definitely, the fear he's talking about is not the fear most normal people feel before fighting someone; the fear of pain and being injured. Its performance anxiety like you would have before a big speech or a huge job interview. There's the risk of letting yourself down, not performing up to your abilities and being humiliated, and adversely affecting your future moneymaking potential. The fear of these things increase in proportion to the magnitude of the event and I think this is why he's never broken through in the biggest fights and this is why he will lose to Conor. Conor is exactly the opposite. He draws strength from huge events and huge pressure.

He could smash almost anyone in LW division and also lose to all of them as well. Just depends which Cerrone wakes up that day.
Dunno, his level seems to pretty consistent where he beats everyone he should and loses to everyone he should. I think Eddie Alvarez is his only win who was in the top 5, and Bendo was in the top 5 not long before but I think #6 when they fought, and he doesn't really have any bad losses.

He has been saying this for years. He has severe anxiety. Everyone is wired different. Just imagine if he was as mentally strong as Conor.
This is why he folds in high pressure fights. Maybe that's why he is 36 and looks 50?

He's getting up there in age tho and coming from two losses in a row...

Is he exceptional in that regard? I think there are a lot of talented fighters at the top of that division who could beat one another if it's in the cards.

He has been saying this for years. He has severe anxiety. Everyone is wired different. Just imagine if he was as mentally strong as Conor.
This is why he folds in high pressure fights. Maybe that's why he is 36 and looks 50?
I never thought of Cowboy as a choker in big fights. I just don't think he is as good as top 5 guys. He is all around solid but not the fastest or does he have one punch power. He always comes to fight though. He started out well against Ferguson but Tony just a better fighter and prevailed. He tried to brawl with Lawler payed price as well. I don't think he knows how to stick to a smart game plan. He wants to please crowd and hug it out with his opponent. He appears to do better when he and opponent don't like each other. He can beat Conor for sure, he needs to keep distance though. Which I don't see him doing.

Cowboy is such a fkn bipolar weirdo. I like this Cowboy, but when he mixes it with: ”IDGAF, anywhere, anytime, anyone motherfucker! I dont give a fuck, i’ll Fight anybody! I’m a badass fkn cowboy who doesnt give a shit about anything” it makes him look fake and pathetic.
I don't know about that. Being willing to fight anyone at any time doesn't mean you aren't scared on fight night. Glenn Hall holds record for most consecutive games played by an NHL goalie, 502, just over 7 seasons. He's also known for being so nervous before games that he threw up. There are veteran stage actors who have stage fright every single night. They all also know that the fear, anxiety, whatever, disappears once it's on. What Cowboy describes is perfectly normal and common.

Yeah it's cool that he's being real about it.

Fighting is so fucking nerve wrecking. Even as an amateur just walking out and getting in the ring, it's hard to explain the feeling.
exactly. Especially at the level he fights at, where everyone is a top ranked killer.

MMA is not for the feint hearted I would recommend Soccer
...and I would recommend you a fucking brain, since you are obviously too fucking stupid to grasp what he said and my comment about it.

Back