Cowboy made a critical mistake

- As you can see, Conor is shaking his right hand just in front of cowboy, who has no idea of what is coming after.

- When Conor throw his left kick, it is already too late, and cowboy instinctively protect his weak body which is his main weakness. Too bad conor beautifully aimed for the head of the cowboy. And the fight is already over, conor showing his superb finishing skills, with precise Left hands, and GnP.

- Conor is among the fighters who can generate the most power p4p in the UFC in my opinion, he is right there with ngannou or a tyron woodley. The fact that he almost knockdown cowboy with just his toes really is a testimony of his power.

From the replay where the camera was facing McGregor you can see he also faked a left straight before he threw the kick. It was very subtle but he drew his arm back slightly and closed his fist before he threw the kick. It was perfectly set up.

This is actually an embarrassing fucking breakdown. You not knowing his "right hand shake faint" is actually a distance gauge is pretty pathetic
This.

Pawing with the lead hand is the usual thing in southpaw vs. orthodox matchups. If you can't play with the hand, you get closed in, enough to be in range of his left-side attacks. Nothing special in that case, really. I see no feint, no check, no angling. Just straight up retaliation for the kick earlier. It didn't even hit clean.

The sad fact of Cerrone is that he didn't even clinch to hold on (you see it in boxing), he just folded.
Well the gif are not in a high resolution, I am not talking about the extended right ARM's role of a distance gauging, I am talking about the very small and subtile movement conor make with his right HAND. Go rewatch the fight in high resolution, you ll get what I mean.

But it is just my humble breakdown, maybe I am totally wrong, even though I don't see any other reason to shake his right hand like that.

Last edited:
I don't think this footage is a good exemple of that, if you know conor is coming with the left why even throw this lame AF combination chin in the air ?

I think this footage is more of a testimony of khabib's incredible "vision"/"eyes". A bit like in the Poirier fight, his vision is very underrated. I don't want to compare it to anderson silva which could be insulting toward the striking phenom, but it is really one of the best I ve seen in the octagon.
Khabibs father talked about fucking cm that Khabib has to keep between him and Poirer, small/big details like that makes champion.

Like you said todays MMA the fighter also have to be coach. Cant just go in there and hope for the best.

The Main Event's KO was a beautiful display of Conor's main weapon : distraction. In all his fight, conor distracts you with his right side to land a devastating shot with left side.

His left hand is not his main weapon, it is just the usual finishing move. His main weapon is his ability to distract his opponent either by trash talk, mind game, footwork or hands fighting.

Here is the high kick which signed the beginning of the end for cowboy :

View attachment 713563

- As you can see, Conor is shaking his right hand just in front of cowboy, who has no idea of what is coming after.

- When Conor throw his left kick, it is already too late, and cowboy instinctively protect his weak body which is his main weakness. Too bad conor beautifully aimed for the head of the cowboy. And the fight is already over, conor showing his superb finishing skills, with precise Left hands, and GnP.

- Conor is among the fighters who can generate the most power p4p in the UFC in my opinion, he is right there with ngannou or a tyron woodley. The fact that he almost knockdown cowboy with just his toes really is a testimony of his power.

What was Cowboy's mistake ?

- This KO really proves the importance of watching your opponent's footage before fighting him. Cowboy said many times not watching a lot of footage of his opponents, letting his coaches do this job.

- That is a crucial mistake, almost all the elite athletes, no matter the sport, watch their opponents footage. Jones said spending multiple hours watching his opponents fights, knowing all their moves, their tendencies etc.

- Giving the job of dissecting your opponent's game to your coach is a CRUCIAL error at this lvl. His coaches are not in the cage, he is.

- If cowboy actually did this job, he would ve know many things and probably survived longer in the fight ( even though the KO was almost certain ... ) :

1 - conor almost never throw roundhouse kick to the body, all his body work is made by front kick to the guts which are harder to grab ...

2 - the right hand shaking is the signal of huge shot coming from the left side, do not focus on it, but on the left side.

3 - conor already tried this right hand shaking feint + roundhouse kick to the head many times in his career, even in his last fight, conor tried this combination in the same context, opening of the 1st round.

View attachment 713575

- Khabib always light on his feet, moving on the weak side of conor, suddenly moved to the power side of conor and just against the cage ( which is supposed to be a BAD move ), why ?

- To force conor to land his big shot and maybe capitalize on it. Conor is triggered, and tries the exact same kick as the one against cowboy ( right hand shaking feint + roundhouse to the head ).

- Khabib sees it from a mile away, blocks it and then move back to the weaker side of conor. ( the 1st takedown is just after this action ).

Conclusion : As I precisely predicted, Conor completely destroyed cowboy in less than a minute. This fight proves again that cowboy's game is too old for today's highest lvl of MMA. He will always be a good fighter, but unfortunately he is never beating the elite of his division.

I will try to make a humble breakdown of masvidal vs conor, here is a thread I already made on Masvidal very underrated grappling, which could play a huge factor in a potential fight against the notorious :

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/masvidals-grappling.4043291/

Discuss. Sorry for the retards if it is too long ...
<GSPWoah>

Cowboy's mistake was showing up to the fight.

Abdul still sucking Khabib's schlong in a thread he made about McGregor

Abdul still sucking Khabib's schlong in a thread he made about McGregor
interesting :
- that khabib's comment is all your remember about this long thread, you might be obsessed... Even though you don't like him to say the least, it is a fact that the same technic that was used to TKO cowboy was used at the exact same time against khabib, for real MMA fans it is interesting to study.

- you are still calling me "abdul" for reasons I don't understand, you seems obsessed with muslims, I am not concerned, but it is cringe to read on an MMA forum ...

Last edited:
When somebody calls it hand shaking instead of feinting, faking and pawing. You automatically know he is new to the gym ;-)

From the replay where the camera was facing McGregor you can see he also faked a left straight before he threw the kick. It was very subtle but he drew his arm back slightly and closed his fist before he threw the kick. It was perfectly set up.

This, and you can tell from Cowboy's reaction he was anticipating the left hand. Cowboy overreacts and tries to parry what he thinks will be a left straight (Cowboy's right hand reaches out to parry which is a mistake you are not suppose to do) and then he also slips his head slightly to the right which would have possibly worked to avoid the left hand as an outside slip but he ends up leaning into the kick instead. If he didn't overreact by reaching out with the parry and slip he might have been able to block the kick but he looked a bit razzled after the shoulder strikes.

Good setup by Conor. It would do Conor a lot of good to continue working on left kicks to compliment his left hand.

When somebody calls it hand shaking instead of feinting, faking and pawing. You automatically know he is new to the gym ;-)
Again I am not talking about the arm mouvement ... but the hand, legit the fingers.The gif I posted are bad resolution, but watch the fight in HD you ll get what I mean my shaking his hands ( he opens his hands ) A move you can't do with boxing gloves.

Plus English is my 3rd language, I don't know all the vocabulary yet ...

Distraction my ass. Cowboy hit him with a high kick, he responded with a high kick. Stop your worshipping

Its a distraction and a rangefinder and he is very good as slipping the jab and dealing horrendous damage on the counter. Thats how he made Diaz a bloody mess in both fights.

The Main Event's KO was a beautiful display of Conor's main weapon : distraction. In all his fight, conor distracts you with his right side to land a devastating shot with left side.

His left hand is not his main weapon, it is just the usual finishing move. His main weapon is his ability to distract his opponent either by trash talk, mind game, footwork or hands fighting.

View attachment 713563

- This KO really proves the importance of watching your opponent's footage before fighting him. Cowboy said many times not watching a lot of footage of his opponents, letting his coaches do this job.

- That is a crucial mistake, almost all the elite athletes, no matter the sport, watch their opponents footage. Jones said spending multiple hours watching his opponents fights, knowing all their moves, their tendencies etc.

- Giving the job of dissecting your opponent's game to your coach is a CRUCIAL error at this lvl. His coaches are not in the cage, he is.

- If cowboy actually did this job, he would ve know many things and probably survived longer in the fight ( even though the KO was almost certain ... ) :

1 - conor almost never throw roundhouse kick to the body, all his body work is made by front kick to the guts which are harder to grab ...

2 - the right hand shaking is the signal of huge shot coming from the left side, do not focus on it, but on the left side.

3 - conor already tried this right hand shaking feint + roundhouse kick to the head many times in his career, even in his last fight, conor tried this combination in the same context, opening of the 1st round.

View attachment 713575

- Khabib always light on his feet, moving on the weak side of conor, suddenly moved to the power side of conor and just against the cage ( which is supposed to be a BAD move ), why ?

- To force conor to land his big shot and maybe capitalize on it. Conor is triggered, and tries the exact same kick as the one against cowboy ( right hand shaking feint + roundhouse to the head ).

- Khabib sees it from a mile away, blocks it and then move back to the weaker side of conor. ( the 1st takedown is just after this action ).

Conclusion : As I precisely predicted, Conor completely destroyed cowboy in less than a minute. This fight proves again that cowboy's game is too old for today's highest lvl of MMA. He will always be a good fighter, but unfortunately he is never beating the elite of his division.

I will try to make a humble breakdown of masvidal vs conor, here is a thread I already made on Masvidal very underrated grappling, which could play a huge factor in a potential fight against the notorious :

<GSPWoah>
Lol, it's nice to see guy's putting in the effort and this is a quality thread but comparing Conors power to guys who, when they connect leave guys unconscious like Francis and Woodley is absurd, as is using him "almost knocking down Cowboy with just his toes" as an example of this.

Many guy's have dropped opponent's landing headkicks with "just their toes" since there is still a ton of force generated when landing any high kick, especially if those toes land right on the nerve behind the jaw.

Also bragging about being 1 of the million people "accurately predicting a TKO in the first minute" really isn't all that impressive.

Not taking anything away from Conors performance which was impressive but your actual analysis only really consists of "Conor distracted him by waving his right hand" which is accurate but it's also already well known that distraction and hand traps are a crucial element of his game and the rest is basically just repeating "Cowboy should have watched film" in different ways.

I would be interested to read your breakdown thread on a Masvidal fight prior to it happening though and don't mean to be disrespectful here.

View attachment 713563

View attachment 713575

<GSPWoah>

Conor looked fucking sharp at the beginning of the Khabib fight

His fans say it's the worst they have ever seen him?

Yes because Khabib never allowed him to get into the fight. The low single 15 seconds into the first was the beginning of the end

Khabib really is light on his fight and it gets overlooked by many

His striking defence is unorthodox, but with his movement it works perfectly for his style

Also nice breakdown man

Does cowboys dumb fake frown expression change during the toes to the face?

Distraction my ass. Cowboy hit him with a high kick, he responded with a high kick. Stop your worshipping

This.

Pawing with the lead hand is the usual thing in southpaw vs. orthodox matchups. If you can't play with the hand, you get closed in, enough to be in range of his left-side attacks. Nothing special in that case, really. I see no feint, no check, no angling. Just straight up retaliation for the kick earlier. It didn't even hit clean.

The sad fact of Cerrone is that he didn't even clinch to hold on (you see it in boxing), he just folded.

Back