Rumored Covington taking a run at Poirier is a calculated move

Is Covington plotting a move to LW should he lose to Usman

• Total voters
Agreed, I just get that feeling that it’s not going to be a super competitive fight like last time around, to Colby’s detriment, he’s mostly been sitting idle only taking the Woodley fight since 2019. Don’t get me wrong, Colby looked good in finishing a washed Tyron, but he mostly looks exactly like the same fighter from late 2019. Usman on the other hand has defended 3x and looked better every time out, actually Kamaru is looking unbeatable now and seems to be continuing to evolve under Wittman. I wasn’t a huge Usman proponent during his run to the title, I couldn’t deny the man’s skills, I was largely indifferent, he was just eh... another wrestlebox guy whose skill on the feet were light years behind his ground game. But, since he’s changed camp, added wrinkles to his game, he looks like a different fighter, I’ve definitely come around and am appreciating him as the Champ... active, finishing most fights, some in highlight reel fashion, I mean what’s there not to like, right?

Usman is a solid champion...hope he keeps the energy the same moving forward...

I don't see how colby gets it in done this time but who knows...the fight game is crazy like that..

I think he’s just lining up possibly “money” fights for himself. Nothing wrong with that. Could he even make 155? He seems lean AF at WW.

He doesn't look that big to me, I am sure he could make the weight with ease

He’s not making 55
He’s super lean already at 70
Probably one of the smallest guys in the division.
They really need 165 and make it 175

wish this frigging guy Covington would just *give it a rest*, STFU, and simply fight.

his schtick is OLD, it's tedious and it's just out-and-out wrong.
I hope Usman breaks his jaw again and beats some humility into the man, finally.

rsTwtMQ.gif

It be a good fight really, Colby prob out wrestles the living shit outta him though

I doubt Colby can make 155. And if he could I doubt he could do it consistently. He's not huge for 170 but he ain't small either.

It be a good fight really, Colby prob out wrestles the living shit outta him though

I think Colby's wrestling is vastly overrated it's not dominating, it's not punishing, I don't find it soul grinding, it looks more like it's used to score points. RDA was able to get to his feet every time with very little to no damage done accept him getting pointed on by Colby. I think it was one of the main reasons he didn't wrestle with Usman until he was forced to panic wrestle after being laid on his ass.

I doubt Colby can make 155. And if he could I doubt he could do it consistently. He's not huge for 170 but he ain't small either.
Colby said two years ago, he would have no problem making 155, and that he would love a match up with Khabib. He said he hardly cuts weight to make 170. If Usman beats him again, I see Colby dropping down to 155 and calling out Poirier and others at LW.

I honestly don’t understand why Uncle Dana has such an unwillingness and almost disgust with the idea of a 175/165 divisions. I mean 155 is a loaded meat grinder with guys that walk between 190-200, the top 10 is a log jam and most top 10 ranked guys seemingly refuse to fight up the rankings. Then you end up get guys staying active that have to go on ridiculous win streaks just to move up, runs that would easily translate to a TS in other divisions, . The Welterweight divisions differs but is equally as deadlocked, with the top fighter’s willing to just stay idle and not fight. Like LW certain fighters have ludicrous win streaks yet not even get the TS, all the while the champ is actually active, but fighting idiotic rematches.
Majority of those guys are mid level not champ level and most of them are not 190-200 in shape. A lot of guys Balloon up. Walk around weight is not the same thing as in shape weight. I know a lot of guys that walk around at 190-210 and they're soft af. When they get in shape they're only about 175

If he can truly make 155 then I do think he could do very well there. I don't see any of the top contenders being able to deal with his wrestling and pace. Sure, he's not gonna be Khabib level dominant, but I could definitely see him beating the likes of Poirier, Oliveira, Gaethje, Chandler etc.

Usman will help him cut weight by breaking his jaw again

Colby said two years ago, he would have no problem making 155, and that he would love a match up with Khabib. He said he hardly cuts weight to make 170. If Usman beats him again, I see Colby dropping down to 155 and calling out Poirier and others at LW.
Yeah Colby says a lot of stuff and is usually full of shit. If he could make 155 then he wouldn't be at 170 especially if he thought he would have a shot at the title

If he can truly make 155 then I do think he could do very well there. I don't see any of the top contenders being able to deal with his wrestling and pace. Sure, he's not gonna be Khabib level dominant, but I could definitely see him beating the likes of Poirier, Oliveira, Gaethje, Chandler etc.
Facts, only Oliveira had a chance to catch a slick sub in a scramble but the rest he should be able to handle

He had said he could before Khabib retired, who knows! some suggest that his cut to 170 is a 10-15 lb cut.
That sounds like just shit talk to me nothing to say he actually could.

LW move is possible, he walks around light, but Poirier's talked about a move to WW. This started around that time. He's been going at him for a while.

That problem definitely doesn’t apply to the WW, LW and FW divisions, all are in a logjam in the top 10, hardly any fights get made, the cherry picking and sitting idle awaiting for TS’s is absolutely ridiculous. Opening up a 165 division would have a rippling order of effects on 170, 155, and 145... the tweener WW would move down, the huge LW’s who struggle to make 55 would move up, even the bigger FW’s would likely move up if 155 wasn’t jammed up because 145’s just as bad if not worse. Between inactive champions in McNugget, Khabib, the LW division has been horrendously idle for years, same could be said for FW with inactive Volk and insta rematches... seems like there’s been no movement or fights for years.

"hardly any fights being made" - not sure how more divisions fixes that.

Back