Is Covington plotting a move to LW should he lose to Usman

• Total voters
Colby literally just said he wants to eventually fight Izzy

Poirier has recently expressed HIGH interest in 170lbs

and this bumbling virgin comes out with this

fuggin flailin fail mate

hory shiet

Quote is from 2019

“I can go down to lightweight and I can go up to middleweight,” Covington told MMA Junkie on Thursday. “I’m looking to fight Whittaker, he’s a bum. He’s got no wrestling, he’s got no heart, no cardio. Then Khabib? Come on. The sheep lover? He’s got nothing for me. The guy is over is Russia playing with sheep. What’s he going to do to raw American steel and twisted sex appeal? I got a lot of things in the plan.”

The people writing Colby’s scripts just have a hate-boner for Dustin right now

I’m interpreting this as a set up or back door plan in case he gets tooled by Usman again. Let’s face it, if he takes the L, he’d be in Welterweight limbo almost in a WB/Woodley territory. Realistically he could likely make the cut to 155, LW is a striker heavy division which stylistically bodes well for Colby, and most importantly the story line to fight Dustin would be there. In theory he’d basically waltz into the LW Division, possibly into a title fight, worst case scenario, positioning himself to fight for the LW belt afterwards, presuming he wins.

I hate to admit it, but I enjoy Colby and his low brow schtik that’s so atrocious it’s to the point of being comical, the world needs bad guys. This move appears as Covington castling his chess pieces, he’s creating an escape route and simultaneously putting a way ahead plan in place. Translation, Chaos himself is skeptical of his odds to beat Marty 2.0 from Nebraska, this is a bad look for his confidence going forward. That glorious Masvidal KO has Covington orchestrating 4D moves that would suggest a case of shookmanship of the highest order.
View attachment 879818

Yes ...i said this a while back...

He doesnt truly believe he can beat Usman so he provokes one of the most popular lighweights in hopes of a making a big splash at 155 once he losses and drops down...

U cant lose to the same champion twice and hope to get a title shot anytime soon again...unless its like short notice or some other angle... But two straight up full camp loses and ur pretty much done at that division till theres a new champion

If Aldo can make 135, I have no doubts Colby can make 155. Colby matches up well with Dustin too. It could be interesting if Colby beats Usman, he could immediately move down and become double champ, but I give him a 25% chance against Usman.

I wish Colby wouldn't act this way. I had really become a fan of his, despite his antics due to his fighting style and grit. But this like this is a major turn off.

Yes ...i said this a while back...

He doesnt truly believe he can beat Usman so he provokes one of the most popular lighweights in hopes of a making a big splash at 155 once he losses and drops down...

U cant lose to the same champion twice and hope to get a title shot anytime soon again...unless its like short notice or some other angle... But two straight up full camp loses and ur pretty much done at that division till theres a new champion
Agreed, I just get that feeling that it’s not going to be a super competitive fight like last time around, to Colby’s detriment, he’s mostly been sitting idle only taking the Woodley fight since 2019. Don’t get me wrong, Colby looked good in finishing a washed Tyron, but he mostly looks exactly like the same fighter from late 2019. Usman on the other hand has defended 3x and looked better every time out, actually Kamaru is looking unbeatable now and seems to be continuing to evolve under Wittman. I wasn’t a huge Usman proponent during his run to the title, I couldn’t deny the man’s skills, I was largely indifferent, he was just eh... another wrestlebox guy whose skill on the feet were light years behind his ground game. But, since he’s changed camp, added wrinkles to his game, he looks like a different fighter, I’ve definitely come around and am appreciating him as the Champ... active, finishing most fights, some in highlight reel fashion, I mean what’s there not to like, right?

he's taller, but porrier looks slightly thicker especially in the legs. porrier is a huge lw but would probably be a ww who barely cut much weight. seems believable to me. walking around weight and in camp weight (ready to cut) are very different things for some guys.
The
On Joe Rogans podcast Porier said he once made a cut from 200 to 145lbs in like 40 days or some shit,so i kinda doubt that he is gona be ww who cuts a litle weight.

If Colby doesn't have to cut to make 170 he should easily be able to make 155 to challenge Dustin for the title once he loses again to Usman.

No. We have loads of viable contenders at 155 (with Khabib gone)

Colby if he loses a 2nd title shot at WW should have to go through some of the top 10 to earn his shot if he drops down

No. We have loads of viable contenders at 155 (with Khabib gone)

Colby if he loses a 2nd title shot at WW should have to go through some of the top 10 to earn his shot if he drops down
That would be the conventional sentiment, but we’ve seen contenders in a weight class move up or down and jump que, Aldo recently went down to BW right into a TS elimination bout. I’m not making a comparison between the two, just an example. Also as I pointed out, the storyline with a beef would already be there, as ridiculous as it sounds we all know that the UFC loves pushing the narrative of two guys with a history that genuinely hate each other finishing business in the Octagon...LoL

As much as I love Colby Covington. I think that deep down he knows that Usman is going to knock him out in the rematch this winter. So he is merely positioning to move down a division and already have some built in beef with the un official champion in Poirier, he very well could be the undisputed champ by Christmas as he is fighting Olivera.

Usman has improved leaps and bounds since the first fight whereas we haven't seen much from Colby since then. Colby arguably won every round in the first fight up until he got caught, and I for one did not really like that stoppage. NY officials are built different though!

I am looking forward to the rematch!

Nah Colby is better off staying at WW. He was close to beating Usman, who is a large WW. Had he not been dropped and the round continued as it was, I'd have given it to Colby 3 rounds to Usmans 2 rounds.

The weight cut to 155 would probably drain him and make him more chinny. He's like 5'11.
I have much respect for fighters who fight close to their weight class

That would be the conventional sentiment, but we’ve seen contenders in a weight class move up or down and jump que, Aldo recently went down to BW right into a TS elimination bout. I’m not making a comparison between the two, just an example. Also as I pointed out, the storyline with a beef would already be there, as ridiculous as it sounds we all know that the UFC loves pushing the narrative of two guys with a history that genuinely hate each other finishing business in the Octagon...LoL

But there’s no beef? It’s just Colby trying to make one out of thin air by being annoying

Even if he wins the WW title, a Porier fight is still marketable.

Literally a Win/Win scenario for Colby.

Maybe there’s some truth behind what Colby is saying? There have been other reports of Poirer being a POS.
Aren't those mostly Colby's reports???

Other than Colby, Conor, and Nate Diaz, no one really talks crap about Dustin. Even his former opponents like Gaethje, Alvarez, MJ, and Khabib are super respectful of Dustin.
Both Jorge and DC know Dustin better than Colby does, and both of them have said nothing but good things about Dustin.

I honestly don’t understand why Uncle Dana has such an unwillingness and almost disgust with the idea of a 175/165 divisions. I mean 155 is a loaded meat grinder with guys that walk between 190-200, the top 10 is a log jam and most top 10 ranked guys seemingly refuse to fight up the rankings. Then you end up get guys staying active that have to go on ridiculous win streaks just to move up, runs that would easily translate to a TS in other divisions, . The Welterweight divisions differs but is equally as deadlocked, with the top fighter’s willing to just stay idle and not fight. Like LW certain fighters have ludicrous win streaks yet not even get the TS, all the while the champ is actually active, but fighting idiotic rematches.
If 155 through 185 are so loaded that we'd need 165 and 175 weight classes, why can't we get a card with more than one decent matchup on it? More classes mean more diluted divisions and shittier fights, IMO.

But there’s no beef? It’s just Colby trying to make one out of thin air by being annoying
In our infinite wisdom we know that this isn’t anything besides Colby trying to name drop Poirier because his stock is at an all time high... Colby is pulling a classic Bigfoot Silva maneuver, trying to make a namefor himself off of Poirier, a pathetic attempt to clout chase. Poirier needs to respond in kind like how Travis Browne did, he set BF Silva straight...
giphy.gif

If 155 through 185 are so loaded that we'd need 165 and 175 weight classes, why can't we get a card with more than one decent matchup on it? More classes mean more diluted divisions and shittier fights, IMO.
That problem definitely doesn’t apply to the WW, LW and FW divisions, all are in a logjam in the top 10, hardly any fights get made, the cherry picking and sitting idle awaiting for TS’s is absolutely ridiculous. Opening up a 165 division would have a rippling order of effects on 170, 155, and 145... the tweener WW would move down, the huge LW’s who struggle to make 55 would move up, even the bigger FW’s would likely move up if 155 wasn’t jammed up because 145’s just as bad if not worse. Between inactive champions in McNugget, Khabib, the LW division has been horrendously idle for years, same could be said for FW with inactive Volk and insta rematches... seems like there’s been no movement or fights for years.

I don't think this is being done with any *specific* scenario in mind...rather, it covers a bunch of different scenarios, depending upon whether Colby wins or loses against Usman, and depending upon whether Dustin beats Charles.

Colby keeping his options open...especially since he knows that a loss to Usman in the rematch means he will never get another WW title shot as long as Usman is around.

Back