International Covid-19: Asthma inhaler reduces hospitalization risk by 90%, says Lancet study

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
Updating this thread to cover "non-vaccine" treatment/prevention options:

1) Vitamin D (in the OP)
2) Monoclonal antibodies
3) Asthma spray

###########################

Let me preface this that this definitely is not going to be an anti-mask thread. The evidence for positive effects of wearing masks (even community masks, even if the effect obviously is much less pronounced there) is pretty solid by now.

Also, I am well aware that the Vitamin D angle is not new and has also been discussed previously on this forum, most recently in a thread in late October started by @phoenixikki :

Study finds over 80% of COVID-19 patients have vitamin D deficiency

And even that was not a new finding, for example, @SBJJ posted a link in May that showed a link between mortality and Vitamin D deficiency. I think first indications go well back until February/March 2020, but I did not look that up.

There still is a new study that I believe adds significantly more credibility to it. Check out the graph.

'Extremely foolish' not to urge vitamin D supplementation for all, says scientist

After research published in Scientific Reports showed an “impressive linear correlation” between European countries’ latitude and the date of their autumn Covid surge, and pointed to vitamin D levels as a contributory factor, there are calls to rapidly address deficiencies of the sunshine nutrient across the continent.

Jon Rhodes, an emeritus professor of medicine at the University of Liverpool, said:

This study confirms previous reports showing associations between Covid-19 risk and latitude and this fits with its evident seasonality. The risk of dying from Covid-19 correlates with ethnicity, obesity, and also with lack of sunlight /ultraviolet exposure - whether as a consequence of latitude, season, or by being institutionalised. All these factors are strongly associated with vitamin D deficiency.

Vitamin D deficiency impairs immune function and a recent study has shown this can be readily corrected by daily supplementation. Doctors, many of whom take vitamin D supplements themselves, know that placebo-controlled interventional trials are not the only form of useful scientific evidence – smoking and lung cancer being a classic example.

We know about half the UK population are likely to be vitamin D deficient. It is extremely foolish not to urge daily vitamin D supplementation for everyone during the pandemic - it is very cheap and safe, at worst will do no harm, and at best might be lifesaving for many.

The study’s author, Stephan Walrand, from Cliniques Universitaires, the largest hospital in Brussels, Belgium, wrote in the peer-reviewed paper:

As already evidenced by previous correlation studies, a low [vitamin D] concentration should be considered a contributing factor to Covid-19 severity. Europe and the northern USA are starting a long Covid-19 crisis this autumn, as they will return to a level above the October sun UV daily dose only at the end of March 2021. Measures to reduce the pandemic severity during the coming winter using controlled preventive vitamin D supplementation should be considered.

2684.jpg

A graph from the study shows no correlation between temperature or humidity and Covid surge dates, but a stark relationship with latitude. Photograph: Scientific Reports
Research suggesting a link between low vitamin D levels and the worst Covid outcomes is growing. There are many dozens of observational studies from around the world that make such indications, along with a randomised control trial (RCT) from Andalusia, Spain.

The study, conducted in early September, 50 patients with Covid-19 were given a high dose of vitamin D, while another 26 patients did not receive the nutrient. Half of patients who weren’t given vitamin D had to be placed in intensive care, and two later died. Only one patient who received vitamin D required ICU admission, and they were later released with no further complications.

The researchers are now doing a much larger trial across a number of hospitals. Meanwhile, results are expected in the coming weeks from a large French trial that was reportedly named a “national research priority” by the French government in December.

An RCT with 6,200 patients was launched in the UK with charitable funding in October to examine whether vitamin D supplementation reduces the risk and severity of Covid-19 and other acute respiratory infections.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08a609d05af0b1#block-600d80f58f08a609d05af0b1
-----

So I think the takeaway is clear, here's @Octavian giving advice:

Other ways to help your vitamin D levels:

1. Spend time in sunlight. Vitamin D is often referred to as “the sunshine vitamin” because the sun is one of the best sources of this nutrient. ...
  2. Consume fatty fish and seafood. ...
  3. Eat more mushrooms. ...
  4. Include egg yolks in your diet. ...
  5. Eat fortified foods. ...
  6. Take a supplement. ...
  7. Try a UV lamp.

The fact of the matter is that Vitamin D is largely not ingested via food, and it seems it has some protective value against depression, so personally my insight is that I will go out every day for at least 30 minutes. That always would have been a good idea, but it especially is now.

I don't think this should be used as an argument against vaccination or masks, but if we want to reduce the amount of hospitalizations and deaths, there's also some kind of societal (and thus individual) responsibility to do what we can to improve outcomes in case of an infection.

Edit: Please note that taking Vitamin D beyond the recommended levels can pose a health risk.

Last edited:
Let me preface this that this definitely is not going to be an anti-mask thread. The evidence for positive effects of wearing masks (even community masks, even if the effect obviously is much less pronounced there) is pretty solid by now.

Also, I am well aware that the Vitamin D angle is not new and has also been discussed previously on this forum, most recently in a thread in late October started by @phoenixikki :

And even that was not a new finding, for example, @SBJJ posted a link in May that showed a link between mortality and Vitamin D deficiency. I think first indications go well back until February/March 2020, but I did not look that up.

There still is a new study that I believe adds significantly more credibility to it. Check out the graph.

'Extremely foolish' not to urge vitamin D supplementation for all, says scientist

After research published in Scientific Reports showed an “impressive linear correlation” between European countries’ latitude and the date of their autumn Covid surge, and pointed to vitamin D levels as a contributory factor, there are calls to rapidly address deficiencies of the sunshine nutrient across the continent.

Jon Rhodes, an emeritus professor of medicine at the University of Liverpool, said:

This study confirms previous reports showing associations between Covid-19 risk and latitude and this fits with its evident seasonality. The risk of dying from Covid-19 correlates with ethnicity, obesity, and also with lack of sunlight /ultraviolet exposure - whether as a consequence of latitude, season, or by being institutionalised. All these factors are strongly associated with vitamin D deficiency.

Vitamin D deficiency impairs immune function and a recent study has shown this can be readily corrected by daily supplementation. Doctors, many of whom take vitamin D supplements themselves, know that placebo-controlled interventional trials are not the only form of useful scientific evidence – smoking and lung cancer being a classic example.

We know about half the UK population are likely to be vitamin D deficient. It is extremely foolish not to urge daily vitamin D supplementation for everyone during the pandemic - it is very cheap and safe, at worst will do no harm, and at best might be lifesaving for many...

I don't think this should be used as an argument against vaccination or masks, but if we want to reduce the amount of hospitalizations and deaths, there's also some kind of societal (and thus individual) responsibility to do what we can to improve outcomes in case of an infection.

The problem is that “the powers that be” cannot establish compliance with unreasonable measures (eg vaccine passports) unless they exaggerate the dangerousness of the virus, so info like this is inextricably intertwined (ie the people selling you the cure will almost always exaggerate the problem, and also avoid discussing other solutions).

We know about half the UK population are likely to be vitamin D deficient. It is extremely foolish not to urge daily vitamin D supplementation for everyone during the pandemic - it is very cheap and safe, at worst will do no harm, and at best might be lifesaving for many.

The study’s author, Stephan Walrand, from Cliniques Universitaires, the largest hospital in Brussels, Belgium, wrote in the peer-reviewed paper:

As already evidenced by previous correlation studies, a low [vitamin D] concentration should be considered a contributing factor to Covid-19 severity. Europe and the northern USA are starting a long Covid-19 crisis this autumn, as they will return to a level above the October sun UV daily dose only at the end of March 2021. Measures to reduce the pandemic severity during the coming winter using controlled preventive vitamin D supplementation should be considered.

2684.jpg

A graph from the study shows no correlation between temperature or humidity and Covid surge dates, but a stark relationship with latitude. Photograph: Scientific Reports
Research suggesting a link between low vitamin D levels and the worst Covid outcomes is growing. There are many dozens of observational studies from around the world that make such indications, along with a randomised control trial (RCT) from Andalusia, Spain.

The study, conducted in early September, 50 patients with Covid-19 were given a high dose of vitamin D, while another 26 patients did not receive the nutrient. Half of patients who weren’t given vitamin D had to be placed in intensive care, and two later died. Only one patient who received vitamin D required ICU admission, and they were later released with no further complications.

The researchers are now doing a much larger trial across a number of hospitals. Meanwhile, results are expected in the coming weeks from a large French trial that was reportedly named a “national research priority” by the French government in December.

An RCT with 6,200 patients was launched in the UK with charitable funding in October to examine whether vitamin D supplementation reduces the risk and severity of Covid-19 and other acute respiratory infections.

-----

So I think the takeaway is clear, here's @Octavian giving advice:

The fact of the matter is that Vitamin D is largely not ingested via food, and it seems it has some protective value against depression, so personally my insight is that I will go out every day for at least 30 minutes. That always would have been a good idea, but it especially is now.

Not going to say I am totally convinced, but I already take a vitamin D supplement so I hope it bears out.

This could actually help explain why minorities are getting hurt more the virus. Obviously people evolved light skin to get more vitamin D from using sunlight as a catalyst. Is it true that people with dark skin are more likely to have vitamin D deficiencies?

I've heard at up to 70% higher incidence rate. Obesity doesn't help either, and our rates are above average for that too.

Wait, so daily walking and outside exercise might improve one's overall health, therefore giving them a better chance at beating any virus they might contract??? Who would've thought!

We don't need that type of advice. We can't ask our people to do anything other than stay home and mask up for a few years until the vaccine can be tweaked and distributed to a majority of the world.

you mean humans werent meant to sit indoors all day or live in ungodly cold places?!?! Who could have predicted that avoiding the sun (the solar system’s only life-giving force) would have negative effects???

better figure out some supplements and special foods to eat so we dont have to actually spend more time outdoors in the sunshine

Only N95s, there's mixed evidence at best that surgical or cloth masks work, including evidence that they do more harm than good.
Vit D, HCQ, Ivermecin, corticosteroids, if used early before the patients need hospitalization have shown very good outcomes.
Really makes you think why shit like remdesevir with 0 evidence was hailed as the "standard of care" at one point, while repurposed drugs with 60+ years of safe use needed ridiculous studies to "debunk" their benefits.
Maybe add "pharma corps caring about profits rather than the patients" in your next 'conspiracy theories that go against expert opinion' thread.

I have posted about this in the past about the effects of vitamin D. Generally people who have a good diet an plenty of exercise seem to do much better but that also explains why older people are in greater danger. But following standard precautions an having a healthy lifestyle helps considerably. This also explains why the US is hit harder then other countries.

Only N95s, there's mixed evidence at best that surgical or cloth masks work, including evidence that they do more harm than good.
Vit D, HCQ, Ivermecin, corticosteroids, if used early before the patients need hospitalization have shown very good outcomes.
Really makes you think why shit like remdesevir with 0 evidence was hailed as the "standard of care" at one point, while repurposed drugs with 60+ years of safe use needed ridiculous studies to "debunk" their benefits.
Maybe add "pharma corps caring about profits rather than the patients" in your next 'conspiracy theories that go against expert opinion' thread.

Ivermectin saved my best friends life. Covid hit him hard and fast a few months ago. By day three, he was well on his way to being hospitalized. The Drs tried a Z pack and steroids, both of which had no effect at all, as he continued to decline. An acquaintance gave him some Ivermectin, as a sorta last ditch effort... My friend started feeling better within 3 hours of the first dose. He swears by it now.

This could actually help explain why minorities are getting hurt more the virus. Obviously people evolved light skin to get more vitamin D from using sunlight as a catalyst. Is it true that people with dark skin are more likely to have vitamin D deficiencies?

I think so I have dark skin and have Vit D problems causing nerve pain etc.

Not entirely sold either, yet. It looks like they are comparing case numbers, not deaths. The decrease in UV exposure also correlates with an increase in indoor activity, and that could be a very important confounding factor. It definitely seems plausible, even likely, that vitamin D can have a protective effect. Just as is the case with pneumonia and other respiratory viral infections. But we need more evidence. Thankfully a lot of research is being done.

Questions that needs to be answered:
- Does vitamin D lower mortality, considering the confounding variables?
- If it lowers the mortality, by how much does it lower it?
- Is there a dose-response relationship?

Even with unclear evidence, advocating for people to exercise and eat healthy is paramount, and adding additional vitamin d supplementation is something people living up north should be doing anyway. I don't see a good reason not to.

Last edited:
Shit what sucks more, that or being like me and shedding skin like a snake after getting sunburned?

I can easily get sunburn too as I don't go out much. I think put it the wrong way when I said I have dark skin what I am saying is I am not white or Caucasian but for my race people say I am too pale.

Back