International Covid-19 Breaking News v20: U.S. sees spike in cases after protest / increased testing

1,249 deaths nationwide

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/30/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/

Texas set a record 322 new COVID-19 deaths, a day after the state added 302. There have now been 6,274 total deaths since tracking began in March.

greg-ja.jpg

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/h...orth/287-60b54ebe-f7e3-4dbe-a5a7-41149c17ab50

According to officials, 252 new deaths were reported Thursday. Florida has broken its record for deaths reported in a 24-hour period three days in a row.

DeSantis-Ron.jpg

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/f...y-of-record-breaking-covid-19-related-deaths/

The Arizona Department of Health Services reported more than 2,500 new cases and a record-high 172 new deaths on Thursday.

3ODEQFK4YVAMRIUVP5DVAIUJZA.jpg

https://www.12news.com/article/news...ly-30/75-6738c272-fff3-439a-9256-ad156c4d96ac

It's like these morons believe that DNA can be liberal or conservative. Since they have conservative DNA they were going to be immune to a virus that obviously has an opposing political agenda. Because, you know, viruses have political agendas.

Wear a mask or die. Your choice.

I think in the thread you tried to make that that headline meant to say NY and NJ.

Fuck when will this end in my country we had an increase in severe cases and hospitals are getting over run
I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re still dealing with COViD in 18 months time. I hope i am wrong though.

Fuck me Trump was right! The more testing you do the more cases you get. He warned you and now you morons are reaping what you sowed.

This preprint study suggests that face shields could be a viable alternative to masks for the general public. Interesting if it gets peer-reviewed.

"For droplets larger than 3μm by diameter, the efficiency of shields to block cough droplets was found to be comparable to that of regular medical masks, with enhanced protection on face parts the mask does not cover. Additionally, for finer particles, of the order 0.3 to few microns, a shield was found to perform even better, blocking about 10 times more fine particles than the medical mask. This implies that for the general population that is not intendedly exposed to confirmed infected individuals, recommending the use of face shields as an alternative to medical masks should be considered."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.06.20147090v1.full.pdf+html

I bet governments wouldn't incorporate this data into their recommendations after having lectured the public so much on masks though; it would be akin to undermining their own authority and admitting they were just winging it. Probably also a lot of resistance from people who are heavily engaged in the pro-mask narrative. Don't get me wrong, I think masks are generally correct but I use masks who actually have filtration capabilities. The data on cloth masks is really not there.

This preprint study suggests that face shields could be a viable alternative to masks for the general public. Interesting if it gets peer-reviewed.

"For droplets larger than 3μm by diameter, the efficiency of shields to block cough droplets was found to be comparable to that of regular medical masks, with enhanced protection on face parts the mask does not cover. Additionally, for finer particles, of the order 0.3 to few microns, a shield was found to perform even better, blocking about 10 times more fine particles than the medical mask. This implies that for the general population that is not intendedly exposed to confirmed infected individuals, recommending the use of face shields as an alternative to medical masks should be considered."

I bet governments wouldn't incorporate this data into their recommendations after having lectured the public so much on masks though; it would be akin to undermining their own authority and admitting they were just winging it. Probably also a lot of resistance from people who are heavily engaged in the pro-mask narrative. Don't get me wrong, I think masks are generally correct but I use masks who actually have filtration capabilities. The data on cloth masks is really not there.
The "pro mask narrative"...

<36>

The "pro mask narrative"...

<36>

See, you just don't have an analytic mind. We should be able to discuss masks like adults, not like little children who see the world in 8-bit resolution - which is basically a staple of low intelligence individuals. We don't have much evidence that the general public wearing cloth masks is effective, and we know it brings about negative effects e.g. people ignoring social distancing. The CDC made detailed reports about that, before the pandemic. There was a study, widely quoted in the media, about masks being effective but when you looked at the methodology it was respirators who were effective - the cloth masks barely had an impact. And when people point to universal mask wearing being correlated with good outcomes e.g. Korea, they gloss over fact every single person in Korea has access to N95-equivalent respirators (KF94) for 1.25$ a pop. And correlation isn't causation, it glosses over all the other potential factors, for instance related to cooperative behaviour ingrained in social norms and culture, that are definitely also contributing to success in Asian cultures.

There are probably supply-chain issues, but mass-producing respirators for the general public like the Koreans have would be a good first step. Somehow this is never talked about. We know respirators work. Combined with the 1$ test that Michael Mina talked about, and the pandemic would be completely crushed.

Did you catch all of that, 90 IQ friend?

New coronavirus prevention rules in Romania: Masks compulsory in crowded outdoor venues

https://www.romania-insider.com/masks-compulsory-oudoors-csu-jul-2020

Children younger than five do not need to wear a mask.

According to the same rules, outdoor restaurants will be closed between 23:00 and 06:00. Outside of this time frame, restaurant owners need to implement measures regarding limiting the number of clients that can be seated and activities “that entail physical interaction between clients, including dancing.”

Gambling halls would also close between 23:00 and 06:00.

On beaches, only couples and children, accompanied by adults (parents, grandparents), can sit less than 2 meters apart.

Nobody here even cares. What is the point of these threads? Even if a million died it would still be treated as a political issue.

This year is really tough man, people are acting like total assholes when we should have been united to beat this thing.

Last edited:
See, you just don't have an analytic mind. We should be able to discuss masks like adults, not like little children who see the world in 8-bit resolution - which is basically a staple of low intelligence individuals. We don't have much evidence that the general public wearing cloth masks is effective, and we know it brings about negative effects e.g. people ignoring social distancing. The CDC made detailed reports about that, before the pandemic. There was a study, widely quoted in the media, about masks being effective but when you looked at the methodology it was respirators who were effective - the cloth masks barely had an impact. And when people point to universal mask wearing being correlated with good outcomes e.g. Korea, they gloss over fact every single person in Korea has access to N95-equivalent respirators (KF94) for 1.25$ a pop. And correlation isn't causation, it glosses over all the other potential factors, for instance related to cooperative behaviour ingrained in social norms and culture, that are definitely also contributing to success in Asian cultures.

There are probably supply-chain issues, but mass-producing respirators for the general public like the Koreans have would be a good first step. Somehow this is never talked about. We know respirators work. Combined with the 1$ test that Michael Mina talked about, and the pandemic would be completely crushed.

Cooperative behavior like people wearing a mask and not making it a political issue?

Honestly I've never once seen someone with above average intelligence make an insult regarding someone's IQ level. Smart people get complemented all the time, they don't need to try and make some petty comment.

Just put your mask on when you go out and about dummy. Stop trying to quibble whether or not it's a good idea to wear one.

That sucks but USA is in such a bad spot that I wish that was our headline.
Maybe at Spanish flu they achieved herd immunity. Or the virus just disappeared, I don"t know.

There we only have 3 chances: the virus to disappear by itself, herd immunity or vaccine. Who knows how many miserable months are still coming.

I might shut down everything about coronavirus and to prepare living myself with mask. Maybe even for about 2 years.

I think the recommendations that face shields are better than nothing but not as good as a mask seems logical considering....

“This week an outbreak in a Swiss hotel affected staffers wearing only face shields, according to a report, and the Swiss government has since warned against relying on them alone. "It has been shown that only those employees who had plastic visors were infected," said Rudolf Leuthold, a Swiss health official, according to the report. "There was not a single infection among employees with a mask."”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/face-shields-replace-masks-experts-hope-work-resort/story?id=72092931

Makes sense as the way air flows droplets could pass around, under the shield, whereas good masks are going to be a much tighter seal around your mouth and nose. Good that shields cover your eyes though. I’d use both if I was flying.

On the First Day of School, an Indiana Student Tests Positive for Coronavirus

One of the first school districts in the country to reopen its doors during the coronavirus pandemic did not even make it a day before being forced to grapple with the issue facing every system actively trying to get students into classrooms: What happens when someone comes to school infected?

Just hours into the first day of classes on Thursday, a call from the county health department notified Greenfield Central Junior High School in Indiana that a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive for the coronavirus.

Administrators began an emergency protocol, isolating the student and ordering everyone who had come into close contact with the person, including other students, to quarantine for 14 days. It is unclear whether the student infected anyone else.

“We knew it was a when, not if,” said Harold E. Olin, superintendent of the Greenfield-Central Community School Corporation, but were “very shocked it was on Day 1.”

To avoid the same scenario, hundreds of districts across the country that were once planning to reopen their classrooms, many on a part-time basis, have reversed course in recent weeks as infections have spiked in many states.

Those that do still reopen are having to prepare for the near-certain likelihood of quarantines and abrupt shutdowns when students and staff members test positive.

Read More:
Of the nation’s 25 largest school districts, all but six have announced they will start remotely, although some in places like Florida and Texas are hoping to open classrooms after a few weeks if infection rates go down, over strong objections from teachers’ unions.

More than 80 percent of California residents live in counties where test positivity rates and hospitalizations are too high for school buildings to open under state rules issued last month. And schools in Alexandria, Va., said on Friday that they would teach remotely, tipping the entire Washington-Baltimore metro area, with more than one million children, into virtual learning for the fall.

In March, when schools across America abruptly shuttered, it seemed unimaginable that educators and students would not return to school come fall, as they have in many other parts of the world. Now, with the virus continuing to rage, tens of millions of students will start the year remotely, and it has become increasingly clear that only a small percentage of children are likely to see the inside of a school building before the year ends.

“There’s no good answer,” Mark Henry, superintendent of the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District near Houston, told trustees at a recent special meeting in which they voted to postpone the district’s hybrid reopening until September. “If there was a good answer, if there were an easy answer,” he said, “we would lay it out for you and everybody would be happy.”

Anywhere that schools do reopen — outside of a portion of the Northeast where the virus is largely under control — is likely to see positive test results quickly, as in Indiana.

A New York Times analysis found that in many districts in the Sun Belt, at least 10 people infected with the coronavirus would be expected to arrive at a school of about 500 students and staff members during the first week if it reopened today.

To deal with that likelihood, many schools and some states have enacted contact tracing and quarantine protocols, with differing thresholds at which they would close classrooms or buildings.

Because of the low infection rate locally, New York City, the largest district in the country, plans to reopen schools on a hybrid model on Sept. 10, with students attending in-person classes one to three days a week. Yet even there, the system might have to quickly close if the citywide infection rate ticks up even modestly.

On Friday, Mayor Bill de Blasio laid out a plan for responding to positive cases that would mean many of the city’s 1,800 public schools would most likely have individual classrooms or even entire buildings closed at certain points.

One or two confirmed cases in a single classroom would require those classes to close for 14 days, with all students and staff members ordered to quarantine. The rest of the school would continue to operate, but if two or more people in different classrooms in the same school tested positive, the entire building would close for an investigation, and might not reopen for two weeks depending on the results.

In California, where schools in two-thirds of the state have been barred from reopening in person for now, state guidelines call for a school to close for at least 14 days if more than 5 percent of its students, faculty and staff test positive over a two-week period.

Chicago, the nation’s third-largest school district, has proposed a hybrid system for reopening that would put students into 15-member pods that can be quarantined if one member tests positive. School buildings should close if the city averages more than 400 new cases a week or 200 cases a day, the plan states, with other worrying factors like low hospital capacity or a sudden spike in cases taken into account.

In Indiana, where the middle school student tested positive on Thursday in Greenfield, an Indianapolis suburb of 23,000 people, the virus began to spike in mid-June, and the caseload has remained relatively high. This week, Indianapolis opted to start the school year online.

The Greenfield-Central Community School Corporation, with eight schools and 4,400 students, gave families the option of in-person or remote learning. At Greenfield Central Junior High School, which the student with the positive test attends, about 15 percent of the 700 enrolled students opted for remote learning, said Mr. Olin, the superintendent.

“It was overwhelming that our families wanted us to return,” he said, adding that families needed to be responsible and not send students to school if they were displaying symptoms or awaiting test results. Students are also required to wear masks except when they are eating or for physical education outside, he said — and as far as he knew, the student who tested positive was doing so.

Anyone who was within six feet of the student for more than 15 minutes on Thursday was instructed to isolate themselves for two weeks, Mr. Olin said. He would not give a specific number of people who were affected at the school, but he said no teachers or staff members were identified as close contacts, and therefore none have been told to quarantine.

“It really doesn’t change my opinion about whether we should start or not,” Mr. Olin said. “If we get down the road and realize that we need to make some adjustments, we’re not opposed to that.”

He said that the district did not have a specific threshold for when it would close a school, but that it would likely do so if absences reached 20 percent. The state has not provided specific guidance to schools on when they should shut their doors, he said.
Some teachers in the district said the positive case on the first day confirmed their fears about returning.

“I most definitely felt like we were not ready,” said Russell Wiley, a history teacher at nearby Greenfield-Central High School. “Really, our whole state’s not ready. We don’t have the virus under control. It’s just kind of like pretending like it’s not there.”

One father whose daughter goes to the middle school with the positive case said he felt conflicted about his three children attending classes in person. Few people in the community are wearing masks, said the father, who asked not to be named because he worried that his family would face backlash.

“I have all these concerns,” the father said. But he has to commute at least an hour to work every day, so remote learning was not a good option for his family.

“It’s just a mess,” he said. “I don’t know what the answers are.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/o...ive-for-coronavirus/ar-BB17rzV5?ocid=msedgdhp

^^^^^

If you want to make an omelet, you gotta let a significant number of people get unnecessarily sick and die...

a8d53ee0a602447a8757cdb518f350c1bc76c063.gif

The bootstrappers should have saved extra money...and extra bootstraps. Rainy days have come...

Wonder what'll be in that Republican aid package that currently doesn't exist?

I think the recommendations that face shields are better than nothing but not as good as a mask seems logical considering....

“This week an outbreak in a Swiss hotel affected staffers wearing only face shields, according to a report, and the Swiss government has since warned against relying on them alone. "It has been shown that only those employees who had plastic visors were infected," said Rudolf Leuthold, a Swiss health official, according to the report. "There was not a single infection among employees with a mask."”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/face-shields-replace-masks-experts-hope-work-resort/story?id=72092931

Makes sense as the way air flows droplets could pass around, under the shield, whereas good masks are going to be a much tighter seal around your mouth and nose. Good that shields cover your eyes though. I’d use both if I was flying.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that. It's not a study, it's a short headline in German about presumably a handful of employees in a hotel and no mention of how many. A study would need a decent sample size, random assignation of participants to the face shield or face mask condition, control for confounding variables, etc. Otherwise you don't know that the characteristics of the participants aren't what's giving you the result e.g. face shield wearers engaging in risky behaviour outside work, face shield wearers occupying more risky positions in the hotel (public facing) than mask wearers, mask wearers being more diligent about the guidelines in general, etc. Literally science 101.

Faceshields definitely won't protect you against aerosols. But cotton masks aren't touted to do so, either. They probably block a little bit.

On the First Day of School, an Indiana Student Tests Positive for Coronavirus

One of the first school districts in the country to reopen its doors during the coronavirus pandemic did not even make it a day before being forced to grapple with the issue facing every system actively trying to get students into classrooms: What happens when someone comes to school infected?

Just hours into the first day of classes on Thursday, a call from the county health department notified Greenfield Central Junior High School in Indiana that a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive for the coronavirus.

Administrators began an emergency protocol, isolating the student and ordering everyone who had come into close contact with the person, including other students, to quarantine for 14 days. It is unclear whether the student infected anyone else.

“We knew it was a when, not if,” said Harold E. Olin, superintendent of the Greenfield-Central Community School Corporation, but were “very shocked it was on Day 1.”

To avoid the same scenario, hundreds of districts across the country that were once planning to reopen their classrooms, many on a part-time basis, have reversed course in recent weeks as infections have spiked in many states.

Those that do still reopen are having to prepare for the near-certain likelihood of quarantines and abrupt shutdowns when students and staff members test positive.

Read More:
Of the nation’s 25 largest school districts, all but six have announced they will start remotely, although some in places like Florida and Texas are hoping to open classrooms after a few weeks if infection rates go down, over strong objections from teachers’ unions.

More than 80 percent of California residents live in counties where test positivity rates and hospitalizations are too high for school buildings to open under state rules issued last month. And schools in Alexandria, Va., said on Friday that they would teach remotely, tipping the entire Washington-Baltimore metro area, with more than one million children, into virtual learning for the fall.

In March, when schools across America abruptly shuttered, it seemed unimaginable that educators and students would not return to school come fall, as they have in many other parts of the world. Now, with the virus continuing to rage, tens of millions of students will start the year remotely, and it has become increasingly clear that only a small percentage of children are likely to see the inside of a school building before the year ends.

“There’s no good answer,” Mark Henry, superintendent of the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District near Houston, told trustees at a recent special meeting in which they voted to postpone the district’s hybrid reopening until September. “If there was a good answer, if there were an easy answer,” he said, “we would lay it out for you and everybody would be happy.”

Anywhere that schools do reopen — outside of a portion of the Northeast where the virus is largely under control — is likely to see positive test results quickly, as in Indiana.

A New York Times analysis found that in many districts in the Sun Belt, at least 10 people infected with the coronavirus would be expected to arrive at a school of about 500 students and staff members during the first week if it reopened today.

To deal with that likelihood, many schools and some states have enacted contact tracing and quarantine protocols, with differing thresholds at which they would close classrooms or buildings.

Because of the low infection rate locally, New York City, the largest district in the country, plans to reopen schools on a hybrid model on Sept. 10, with students attending in-person classes one to three days a week. Yet even there, the system might have to quickly close if the citywide infection rate ticks up even modestly.

On Friday, Mayor Bill de Blasio laid out a plan for responding to positive cases that would mean many of the city’s 1,800 public schools would most likely have individual classrooms or even entire buildings closed at certain points.

One or two confirmed cases in a single classroom would require those classes to close for 14 days, with all students and staff members ordered to quarantine. The rest of the school would continue to operate, but if two or more people in different classrooms in the same school tested positive, the entire building would close for an investigation, and might not reopen for two weeks depending on the results.

In California, where schools in two-thirds of the state have been barred from reopening in person for now, state guidelines call for a school to close for at least 14 days if more than 5 percent of its students, faculty and staff test positive over a two-week period.

Chicago, the nation’s third-largest school district, has proposed a hybrid system for reopening that would put students into 15-member pods that can be quarantined if one member tests positive. School buildings should close if the city averages more than 400 new cases a week or 200 cases a day, the plan states, with other worrying factors like low hospital capacity or a sudden spike in cases taken into account.

In Indiana, where the middle school student tested positive on Thursday in Greenfield, an Indianapolis suburb of 23,000 people, the virus began to spike in mid-June, and the caseload has remained relatively high. This week, Indianapolis opted to start the school year online.

The Greenfield-Central Community School Corporation, with eight schools and 4,400 students, gave families the option of in-person or remote learning. At Greenfield Central Junior High School, which the student with the positive test attends, about 15 percent of the 700 enrolled students opted for remote learning, said Mr. Olin, the superintendent.

“It was overwhelming that our families wanted us to return,” he said, adding that families needed to be responsible and not send students to school if they were displaying symptoms or awaiting test results. Students are also required to wear masks except when they are eating or for physical education outside, he said — and as far as he knew, the student who tested positive was doing so.

Anyone who was within six feet of the student for more than 15 minutes on Thursday was instructed to isolate themselves for two weeks, Mr. Olin said. He would not give a specific number of people who were affected at the school, but he said no teachers or staff members were identified as close contacts, and therefore none have been told to quarantine.

“It really doesn’t change my opinion about whether we should start or not,” Mr. Olin said. “If we get down the road and realize that we need to make some adjustments, we’re not opposed to that.”

He said that the district did not have a specific threshold for when it would close a school, but that it would likely do so if absences reached 20 percent. The state has not provided specific guidance to schools on when they should shut their doors, he said.
Some teachers in the district said the positive case on the first day confirmed their fears about returning.

“I most definitely felt like we were not ready,” said Russell Wiley, a history teacher at nearby Greenfield-Central High School. “Really, our whole state’s not ready. We don’t have the virus under control. It’s just kind of like pretending like it’s not there.”

One father whose daughter goes to the middle school with the positive case said he felt conflicted about his three children attending classes in person. Few people in the community are wearing masks, said the father, who asked not to be named because he worried that his family would face backlash.

“I have all these concerns,” the father said. But he has to commute at least an hour to work every day, so remote learning was not a good option for his family.

“It’s just a mess,” he said. “I don’t know what the answers are.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/o...ive-for-coronavirus/ar-BB17rzV5?ocid=msedgdhp

Don’t worry, Baron Trump will be safe and protected from Covid as his school
Is delaying reopening. I’m sure Trump is calling and threatening the school everyday. To the rest of you sheep, continue sending your kids to school while the elite protects theirs.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that. It's not a study, it's a short headline in German about presumably a handful of employees in a hotel and no mention of how many. A study would need a decent sample size, random assignation of participants to the face shield or face mask condition, control for confounding variables, etc. Otherwise you don't know that the characteristics of the participants aren't what's giving you the result e.g. face shield wearers engaging in risky behaviour outside work, face shield wearers occupying more risky positions in the hotel (public facing) than mask wearers, mask wearers being more diligent about the guidelines in general, etc. Literally science 101.

Faceshields definitely won't protect you against aerosols. But cotton masks aren't touted to do so, either. They probably block a little bit.

They significantly reduce the spread area. Meaning if you social distance and wear a mask, your droplets and someone else’s won’t be within an area to get you sick.

Back