International ***COVID-19 Breaking News v19: U.S. coronavirus deaths top 100,000***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe what you want.

I have Chinese immigrant friends with family across China and they all say the same thing. It happened, they freeze for a few weeks, and it went away. If it pops up again they lock that region down tight, test and trace, and life goes on.

I sincerely doubt they'd have any reason to lie. Maybe there's hidden truth and mass graves, I have no idea, but they believe what they're saying.

This is similar to what I have heard from people living in China. They have camera everywhere and contact tract the heck out of anyone that tests positive. They also lock anyone who tests positive in the hospital even if they are asymptomatic. It works.

This is similar to what I have heard from people living in China. They have camera everywhere and contact tract the heck out of anyone that tests positive. They also lock anyone who tests positive in the hospital even if they are asymptomatic. It works.

USSR had almost zero crime whereas modern Russia is crime haven. Nazi Germany eliminated unemployment (along with a host of other things).

Totalitarianism works, the reason we don't do it is because, well, it's totalitarianism.

Well Trump is almost out and for all practical purposes not acting as president so now the Democrats are saying “we need to open things up now”.

I could write it in bubble letters; it would still be the truth.

Viruses do not move independently of carriers. If carriers stop moving, viruses stop spreading.
Why is this not obvious to one entire side of the political spectrum ?

I think I most likely have CV-19 right now. This is a good few hours as I write this, but I can feel the splitting headache coming back. I broke my fever for the 3rd time in two days. I was 101.5 this morning. I normally run cool in the 97's. This thing comes in waves. My wife and son also have it, but not as bad and different. They have both lost taste, I have not. I keep getting fevers, they do not. My wife saw the doctor and they scheduled a test tomorrow... they said it was "too early" to take the test? That's weird. I am taking Advil (3) (3 times a day for anti-inflammatory) - Tylenol Sinus - Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Zinc.

I will 99%+ get through this like everyone else. If I do have it, I am kind of relieved to be done with it and not need the vaccine. I don't believe it returns. That's wacky and the evidence of that are such great outliers that I'm not buying it. I'll update once I know more or have changes.

I think I most likely have CV-19 right now. This is a good few hours as I write this, but I can feel the splitting headache coming back. I broke my fever for the 3rd time in two days. I was 101.5 this morning. I normally run cool in the 97's. This thing comes in waves. My wife and son also have it, but not as bad and different. They have both lost taste, I have not. I keep getting fevers, they do not. My wife saw the doctor and they scheduled a test tomorrow... they said it was "too early" to take the test? That's weird. I am taking Advil (3) (3 times a day for anti-inflammatory) - Tylenol Sinus - Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Zinc.

I will 99%+ get through this like everyone else. If I do have it, I am kind of relieved to be done with it and not need the vaccine. I don't believe it returns. That's wacky and the evidence of that are such great outliers that I'm not buying it. I'll update once I know more or have changes.
How you feeling today?

Yeah, I tested positive near the end of November. Aside from the lack of taste and mild headache for two days I had no symptoms. Then again I'm a fairly healthy guy with a decent immune system due to my work and lifestyle.

I am happy you got well, Bald!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/eci.13484
Peer reviewed study shows the lockdowns didn't do anything.

“In the framework of this analysis, there is no evidence that more restrictive non-pharmaceutical interventions (“lockdowns”) contributed substantially to bending the curve of new cases in England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, or the United States in early 2020. By comparing the effectiveness of NPIs on case growth rates in countries that implemented more restrictive measures with those that implemented less restrictive measures, the evidence points away from indicating that more restrictive NPIs provided additional meaningful benefit above and beyond less restrictive NPIs. While modest decreases in daily growth (under 30%) cannot be excluded in a few countries, the possibility of large decreases in daily growth due to more restrictive NPIs is incompatible with the accumulated data.”

The study even looked into the potential of stay-at-home orders facilitating spread of the virus:

“The direction of the effect size in most scenarios point towards an increase in the case growth rate, though these estimates are only distinguishable from zero in Spain (consistent with non-beneficial effect of lockdowns). Only in Iran do the estimates consistently point in the direction of additional reduction in the growth rate, yet those effects are statistically indistinguishable from zero. While it is hard to draw firm conclusions from these estimates, they are consistent with a recent analysis that identified increase transmission and cases in Hunan, China during the period of stay-at-home orders from increased intra-household density and transmission. In other words, it is possible that stay-at-home orders may facilitate transmission if they increase person-to-person contact where transmission is efficient such as closed spaces.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/eci.13484
Peer reviewed study shows the lockdowns didn't do anything.

“In the framework of this analysis, there is no evidence that more restrictive non-pharmaceutical interventions (“lockdowns”) contributed substantially to bending the curve of new cases in England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, or the United States in early 2020. By comparing the effectiveness of NPIs on case growth rates in countries that implemented more restrictive measures with those that implemented less restrictive measures, the evidence points away from indicating that more restrictive NPIs provided additional meaningful benefit above and beyond less restrictive NPIs. While modest decreases in daily growth (under 30%) cannot be excluded in a few countries, the possibility of large decreases in daily growth due to more restrictive NPIs is incompatible with the accumulated data.”

The study even looked into the potential of stay-at-home orders facilitating spread of the virus:

“The direction of the effect size in most scenarios point towards an increase in the case growth rate, though these estimates are only distinguishable from zero in Spain (consistent with non-beneficial effect of lockdowns). Only in Iran do the estimates consistently point in the direction of additional reduction in the growth rate, yet those effects are statistically indistinguishable from zero. While it is hard to draw firm conclusions from these estimates, they are consistent with a recent analysis that identified increase transmission and cases in Hunan, China during the period of stay-at-home orders from increased intra-household density and transmission. In other words, it is possible that stay-at-home orders may facilitate transmission if they increase person-to-person contact where transmission is efficient such as closed spaces.
We already covered this on the last page.

I still dont understand where 40k people a day are catching covid in the uk. EVERYTHING is closed apart from supermarkets. EVERYTHING. I'm not buying this bullshit about "people flouting the rules for Christmas and NYE". That was almost 1month ago and we've hit 60k plus a week ago which might reflect that. Doesn't explain why 40k a day are getting positive tests now. Where are these people catching covid? In their own homes? Because supermarkets were open with NO MASKS all 2020 and there was no explosion of cases linked to that.

Something very dodgy is going on regarding positive tests.

I still dont understand where 40k people a day are catching covid in the uk. EVERYTHING is closed apart from supermarkets. EVERYTHING. I'm not buying this bullshit about "people flouting the rules for Christmas and NYE". That was almost 1month ago and we've hit 60k plus a week ago which might reflect that. Doesn't explain why 40k a day are getting positive tests now. Where are these people catching covid? In their own homes? Because supermarkets were open with NO MASKS all 2020 and there was no explosion of cases linked to that.

All very logical. Then if you consider the fact that influenza allegedly went to zero...

You pretty much have to just turn off your brain to believe any of it. Annual airborne virus completely stopped transmission while another is completely out of control...

All very logical. Then if you consider the fact that influenza allegedly went to zero...

You pretty much have to just turn off your brain to believe any of it. Annual airborne virus completely stopped transmission while another is completely out of control...

Yep
You truly do have to suspend any kind of critical thinking to accept everything you're told about this situation. Something doesn't feel right about it all.

The study from Eran Bendavid and John Ioannidis that's been posted in here a few times, is garbage. It's just a bad study, which one can't help but to think is deliberate considering it's authored by two vocal COVID-19 "skeptics", who's consistently put out garbage during this whole thing. It was discussed in more detail on the last page.

As I've said, you can't cherry pick single pieces of evidence. You have to look through the litterature. With that said, the best single study done so far on restrictions and their effectiveness is one that was recently published in the journal SCIENCE. SCIENCE is one of the premier journals in the world. With that, there's a lot more work to be done to understand this thing but it's a very well done, and robust, study.

Inferring the effectiveness of government interventions against COVID-19
"Governments are attempting to control the COVID-19 pandemic with nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs). However, the effectiveness of different NPIs at reducing transmission is poorly understood. We gathered chronological data on the implementation of NPIs for several European, and other, countries between January and the end of May 2020. We estimate the effectiveness of NPIs, ranging from limiting gathering sizes, business closures, and closure of educational institutions to stay-at-home orders. To do so, we used a Bayesian hierarchical model that links NPI implementation dates to national case and death counts and supported the results with extensive empirical validation. Closing all educational institutions, limiting gatherings to 10 people or less, and closing face-to-face businesses each reduced transmission considerably. The additional effect of stay-at-home orders was comparatively small."

F4.large.jpg

F3.large.jpg

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/12/15/science.abd9338

Yep
You truly do have to suspend any kind of critical thinking to accept everything you're told about this situation. Something doesn't feel right about it all.

You should try switching your brains on. Your feelings don't play into it. As a thought exercise, think about why flu numbers would be down right now.

The study from Eran Bendavid and John Ioannidis that's been posted in here a few times, is garbage. It's just a bad study, which one can't help but to think is deliberate considering it's authored by two vocal COVID-19 "skeptics", who's consistently put out garbage during this whole thing. It was discussed in more detail on the last page.

As I've said, you can't cherry pick single pieces of evidence. You have to look through the litterature. With that said, the best single study done so far on restrictions and their effectiveness is one that was recently published in the journal SCIENCE. SCIENCE is one of the premier journals in the world. With that, there's a lot more work to be done to understand this thing but it's a very well done, and robust, study.

Inferring the effectiveness of government interventions against COVID-19
"Governments are attempting to control the COVID-19 pandemic with nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs). However, the effectiveness of different NPIs at reducing transmission is poorly understood. We gathered chronological data on the implementation of NPIs for several European, and other, countries between January and the end of May 2020. We estimate the effectiveness of NPIs, ranging from limiting gathering sizes, business closures, and closure of educational institutions to stay-at-home orders. To do so, we used a Bayesian hierarchical model that links NPI implementation dates to national case and death counts and supported the results with extensive empirical validation. Closing all educational institutions, limiting gatherings to 10 people or less, and closing face-to-face businesses each reduced transmission considerably. The additional effect of stay-at-home orders was comparatively small."

F4.large.jpg

F3.large.jpg

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/12/15/science.abd9338

You should try switching your brains on. Your feelings don't play into it. As a thought exercise, think about why flu numbers would be down right now.

Because the same people that would have died from the flu have died from a different respiratory virus because they are vulnerable to them.

Nothing dodgy at all. People are getting infected at in house gatherings and at work. Until 80% of the world had been exposed to the virus or vaccinated, this isn’t going to change no matter what policies the government implements short of totalitarianism.

In Canada the narrative is identical i.e. "Numbers are going up because of random people having gatherings," meanwhile absolutely everything is closed except schools. I think the explosion of cases all around the hemisphere is clearly linked to seasonality and cold weather indirectly increasing viral transmission. They should just say it "Listen folks, most of what's happening is outside our control," but instead they harp on about the remaining that's more or less within our control.

My niece tested positive for COVID-19 she was with friends at a house party about 2 weeks before so her family has been quarantine "she hardly ever wears a mask even as her mom tells her to all the time". Now she is with her family locked up for 2 weeks she runs a stable no telling how that will be effected and her live in boyfriend of years works as a heating and refrigeration repairman no doubt this will pose problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back