International Covid-19 Breaking News v18: Case numbers explode in Russia, Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
News update for Thursday, April 30th

Source: Guardian

Global coronavirus death toll approaches 230,000
The total number of fatalities around the world is at least 228,908, according to Johns Hopkins University, which has tracked the spread of the virus during the pandemic.

The US has the highest number, at least 62,200, followed by Italy with 27,682. The UK’s death toll is 26,097 and Spain has lost 24,543 lives.

Denmark says partial reopening has not accelerated virus spread
Authorities in Denmark said the spread of Covid-19 has not accelerated since it became the first country outside of Asia to ease lockdown measures a fortnight ago. Daycare centres and schools began reopening two weeks ago, followed by hairdressers and other small businesses on 20 April.

“There are no signs that the Covid-19 epidemic is accelerating,” said Denmark’s State Serum Institute, which is responsible for preparedness against infectious diseases.

Further 674 deaths in the UK as Johnson says country is ‘past the peak’
There have been a further 674 recorded deaths from coronavirus, Boris Johnson said in his first Downing Street daily briefing in more than a month. He said the figure included deaths outside of hospital, bringing the total number of deaths to 26,771.

Johnson said the UK was “past the peak of this disease” and “on the downward slope”.

UK government likely to miss testing target
The government will probably fail to reach its target of testing 100,000 people per day for coronavirus by the end of April, the justice secretary, Robert Buckland, has admitted.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, had previously promised to meet the goal by the end of Thursday.

Buckland said 52,000 people were being tested per day and capacity was rising. He said of the target: “Even if we don’t hit it, and it’s probable that we won’t, we will in the next few days.”

Buckland added: “If he [Hancock] hadn’t set a target, he would have been criticised for being unambitious.”

US unemployment continues to grow
A further 3.8 million people lost their jobs in the US last week. The pace of layoffs appears to be slowing, but in six weeks 30 million Americans have now sought unemployment benefits.

US unemployment remains on course to reach levels not seen since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Spain to allocate times slots for outdoor activities
Health authorities said time slots for specific outdoor activities would be used to help avoid confusion and further contagion when adults are allowed out to exercise from Saturday for the first time since mid-March.

Children in Spain have been allowed out to exercise with a parent or guardian since last Sunday.

The transport minister, José Luis Ábalos, said trips outside would be “sequenced” to prevent what he called “an explosive exit”.

The number of fatalities related to Covid-19 recorded overnight in Spain fell to 268, the lowest in nearly six weeks, the health ministry said.

Italy enters recession
Italy has joined France in recession after recording its worst slump in decades. Italian GDP shrank by 4.7% in the first quarter of 2020, figures from ISTAT show, its worst performance since the data series began in 1995. There was a 0.3% contraction in October to December, meaning Italy has notched up two consecutive quarters of contraction and is in recession.

South Korea records no new domestically transmitted cases
South Korea reported no new domestic coronavirus cases on Wednesday for the first time since February, the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said.

It reported four new infections, all imported cases, taking the national tally to 10,765. The death toll rose by one to 247.

Well, you wanna see what happens in a country with a useless leader, look no further than Brazil.

'So what?': Bolsonaro shrugs off Brazil's rising coronavirus death toll
Outrage at president’s response to news that more than 5,000 people have lost their lives.

More than 5,000 Brazilians have lost their lives to the coronavirus – even more people than in China, if its official statistics are to be believed.

But on Tuesday night Brazil’s president shrugged off the news. “So what?” Jair Bolsonaro told reporters when asked about the record 474 deaths that day. “I’m sorry. What do you want me to do?”

Bolsonaro’s 11-word response – the latest in a series of remarks belittling the pandemic – sparked immediate fury. One newspaper, the Estado de Minas, stamped the president’s words on to a black front page beside Brazil’s death toll: 5,017.

“Bolsonaro isn’t just an awful politician and a bad president, he’s a despicable human being,” tweeted Marcelo Freixo, a leftwing opponent.

“My name’s Messiah,” Bolsonaro also told reporters on Tuesday, in reference to his second name, Messias. “But I can’t work miracles.”

A wave of disgust swept over social media as word of the president’s comments spread. “A sociopath,” tweeted the musician Nando Moura. “What a tragedy,” wrote the journalist Sônia Bridi.

“It’s a mockery. An insult. It is intolerable,” tweeted Mariliz Pereira Jorge, a scriptwriter and commentator.

Another critic superimposed Bolsonaro’s words on to a photograph of the muddy graves into which scores of Brazilian bodies are being deposited each day.

“Bolsonaro wants to turn Brazil into the Republic of So What,” the political commentator Bernardo Mello Franco wrote in his column on Wednesday.

The president’s son Carlos Bolsonaro claimed on Twitter that his father’s comments were being distorted by liberal journalists seeking to destroy his reputation.

Since Brazil confirmed its first coronavirus case on 26 February, Bolsonaro has continually minimised the pandemic, rejecting media “hysteria” over its dangers and suggesting Brazilians could swim in excrement and emerge unscathed.

The Trump-admiring populist has also purposefully undermined social distancing guidelines, mingling with supporters and sacking his health minister on 16 April after he publicly challenged the president’s behaviour.

Last week, Bolsonaro’s popular justice minister, Sergio Moro, resigned from government, partly as a result of the president’s anti-scientific stance on Covid-19, according to one person who knows him.

There is no escaping the scale of the tragedy unfolding in Brazil, with daily images of gravediggers in protective suits emerging from some of the worst-hit cities, including Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Recife and Manaus.

As Bolsonaro made his remarks, newspapers and television programmes filled with stories about the mothers, fathers, sons and daughters losing their lives to the pandemic.

In Rio, the victims included Ana Maria, a 56-year-old nursing assistant who had worked in one of the city’s biggest public hospitals and was laid to rest on Tuesday by men in white suits.

“She gave everything to her job until the very end,” her daughter Taina told Associated Press.

In Vila Operária, a redbrick favela to the north of Rio, at least 10 residents were reported to have died, including four members of the same family.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rugs-off-brazil-rising-coronavirus-death-toll

Well, you wanna see what happens in a country with a useless leader, look no further than Brazil.

Can i get a rewind?

March 27th
Jair Bolsonaro claims Brazilians 'never catch anything' as Covid-19 cases rise

As Brazil’s Covid-19 death toll rose to 77, Bolsonaro scotched the idea Latin America’s biggest economy could soon face a situation as severe as the United States, where there have been more than 1,000 deaths and more than 83,000 cases.“I don’t think it will reach that point,” Bolsonaro told reporters outside the presidential palace in the capital, Brasília.

“They never catch anything. You see some bloke jumping into the sewage, he gets out, has a dive, right? And nothing happens to him.”

In Brazil full shut down will destroy lives economically. I guess they are going for the Sweden approach

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/sweden-coronavirus-rate-1501250?amp=1

Some experts have pointed out that going for a herd immunity strategy in the developing world is the best since they have people who can't afford to take time off work and there are no support nets for them, and they have a much younger population than the western world. I didn't realize the population demographics were that different, it's definitely it's a big advantage in this situation. I was looking at the world chart and the median age-range for most of sub-Saharan Africa is 14-20! It's a median of 20 if you include the northern Arab countries. No wonder this pandemic is looking small potatoes for them.

terrorism
[ ter-uh-riz-uh m ]

noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

If they were black they'd all be shot and killed by the police

They got 12 year old in Black Face dancing as part of the "protest"

Last edited:
Spain reverting back to their fascist roots. Such a shame it’s a beautiful country with great culture and delectable cuisine. I want to go back soon.:(

Looks like an obama mask and a Hillary mask

Rob Gill sounds like a straight up pussy. He forgot to wear his pink hat.

Outrage at president’s response to news that more than 5,000 people have lost their lives.

More than 5,000 Brazilians have lost their lives to the coronavirus – even more people than in China, if its official statistics are to be believed.

But on Tuesday night Brazil’s president shrugged off the news. “So what?” Jair Bolsonaro told reporters when asked about the record 474 deaths that day. “I’m sorry. What do you want me to do?”

Bolsonaro’s 11-word response – the latest in a series of remarks belittling the pandemic – sparked immediate fury. One newspaper, the Estado de Minas, stamped the president’s words on to a black front page beside Brazil’s death toll: 5,017.

“Bolsonaro isn’t just an awful politician and a bad president, he’s a despicable human being,” tweeted Marcelo Freixo, a leftwing opponent.

“My name’s Messiah,” Bolsonaro also told reporters on Tuesday, in reference to his second name, Messias. “But I can’t work miracles.”

A wave of disgust swept over social media as word of the president’s comments spread. “A sociopath,” tweeted the musician Nando Moura. “What a tragedy,” wrote the journalist Sônia Bridi.

“It’s a mockery. An insult. It is intolerable,” tweeted Mariliz Pereira Jorge, a scriptwriter and commentator.

Another critic superimposed Bolsonaro’s words on to a photograph of the muddy graves into which scores of Brazilian bodies are being deposited each day.

“Bolsonaro wants to turn Brazil into the Republic of So What,” the political commentator Bernardo Mello Franco wrote in his column on Wednesday.

The president’s son Carlos Bolsonaro claimed on Twitter that his father’s comments were being distorted by liberal journalists seeking to destroy his reputation.

Since Brazil confirmed its first coronavirus case on 26 February, Bolsonaro has continually minimised the pandemic, rejecting media “hysteria” over its dangers and suggesting Brazilians could swim in excrement and emerge unscathed.

The Trump-admiring populist has also purposefully undermined social distancing guidelines, mingling with supporters and sacking his health minister on 16 April after he publicly challenged the president’s behaviour.

Last week, Bolsonaro’s popular justice minister, Sergio Moro, resigned from government, partly as a result of the president’s anti-scientific stance on Covid-19, according to one person who knows him.

There is no escaping the scale of the tragedy unfolding in Brazil, with daily images of gravediggers in protective suits emerging from some of the worst-hit cities, including Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Recife and Manaus.

As Bolsonaro made his remarks, newspapers and television programmes filled with stories about the mothers, fathers, sons and daughters losing their lives to the pandemic.

In Rio, the victims included Ana Maria, a 56-year-old nursing assistant who had worked in one of the city’s biggest public hospitals and was laid to rest on Tuesday by men in white suits.

“She gave everything to her job until the very end,” her daughter Taina told Associated Press.

In Vila Operária, a redbrick favela to the north of Rio, at least 10 residents were reported to have died, including four members of the same family.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rugs-off-brazil-rising-coronavirus-death-toll
for the sake of credibility, lets never ever ever use Ch-ina as a comparison or some form of baseline. I find such articles tough to read, if at all.

Christ!
The correct U.S. flag display, when displayed vertically, is blue shield to the left -- as you are looking at it.
230px-Vertical_United_States_Flag.svg.png

This idiot getting all close to this securities face. Dude should have been dropped
These guys swear they are modern day George Washington's

I am skeptical as fuck in regards to media reports on Brazil. His opposition are fucking Marxist from previously corrupted and charged politicians. There is a shit ton of foreign money in peoples pockets I have no idea who to trust.

Had a friend walk up on one of my FB posts today talking some “flu bro” nonsense.

Little did they know I stay up all night reading these threads.

I grand slammed his ass back to back to back.

Had a friend walk up on one of my FB posts today talking some “flu bro” nonsense.

Little did they know I stay up all night reading these threads.

I grand slammed his ass back to back to back.

Posting opinions on FB was your mistake. It’s never worth it and generally makes all parties involved look like assholes.

Some experts have pointed out that going for a herd immunity strategy in the developing world is the best since they have people who can't afford to take time off work and there are no support nets for them, and they have a much younger population than the western world. I didn't realize the population demographics were that different, it's definitely it's a big advantage in this situation. I was looking at the world chart and the median age-range for most of sub-Saharan Africa is 14-20! It's a median of 20 if you include the northern Arab countries. No wonder this pandemic is looking small potatoes for them.

even brazil 30% are under 20 years old and 37% are under 25. 45% are under 30. The US also in many ways has a young population to a degree. Median age in France, Germany, Spain and Italy is mid to late 40s.

38% of US is under 30.

Median age US is 38

Median age Brazil 33, but

Posting opinions on FB was your mistake. It’s never worth it and generally makes all parties involved look like assholes.

I disagree.

I very rarely post "opinion" on FB, but I do share some of my ideas. And I rarely every get into an argument. This person lived with me in the past. They are basically bonkers.

So I grand slammed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back