covering the distance

Cole train

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Okay so problem is im slow as fuck and people can dodge my combos by backing up and im wondering is there any technical thing i can do that doesnt rely on explosiveness.

(that being said i usually throw a kick at the end of combination whick usually hits because im tall and have long legs)

sorry if this is a dumb question lol,trying to learn how to deal with people who have speed.

Have you tried landing a leg kick, and leaving the foot their while clinching?

Is your footwork good?

Have you tried landing a leg kick, and leaving the foot their while clinching?

Is your footwork good?

my footwork is alright

im just slow as fuck, i usually out cardio people because i cant win in the speed sphere of things (think how ferguson and diaz bros fight thats me)

my footwork is alright

im just slow as fuck, i usually out cardio people because i cant win in the speed sphere of things (think how ferguson and diaz bros fight thats me)

The diaz brothers fight with forward pressure and still use their speed lol.

And ferguson is just an unorthodox technical beast, he uses less forward pressure than the diaz brothers.

Anyways try practice power steps. And a lot of footwork. That will help out a lot.

The diaz brothers fight with forward pressure and still use their speed lol.

And ferguson is just an unorthodox technical beast, he uses less forward pressure than the diaz brothers.

Anyways try practice power steps. And a lot of footwork. That will help out a lot.

guess im fucked

(already training power step,hasnt gotten better lmao)

but thanks for the advice

guess im fucked

(already training power step,hasnt gotten better lmao)

but thanks for the advice

You'll get faster with experience lol.

How long you been training?

And one thing i'm doing now while i'm carless and not be able to go to my boxing gym until most likely the following week (no not because of money but because i'm carless and won't get a car until maybe tomorrow or the following week i'm only saying this so nobody jumps to any assumptions). My boy gave me these weighted gloves back when he had time to train me. So now everytime i'm away from the gym. I use those now. And just shadowbox while watching tv or something.

I know people on here don't like the idea of using weights but a lot of gyms i went to have had me shadowbox with weights.

So if you want to get faster try some weighted gloves, and just shadowbox in your free time. It will help more if your doing that and going to your boxing gym like at least 4-5 days a week. Just remember to rest.

You'll get faster with experience lol.

How long you been training?

And one thing i'm doing now while i'm carless and not be able to go to my boxing gym until most likely the following week (no not because of money but because i'm carless and won't get a car until maybe tomorrow or the following week i'm only saying this so nobody jumps to any assumptions). My boy gave me these weighted gloves back when he had time to train me. So now everytime i'm away from the gym. I use those now. And just shadowbox while watching tv or something.

I know people on here don't like the idea of using weights but a lot of gyms i went to have had me shadowbox with weights.

So if you want to get faster try some weighted gloves, and just shadowbox in your free time. It will help more if your doing that and going to your boxing gym like at least 4-5 days a week. Just remember to rest.

In my experience its just speed is a thing you have or you dont (explosive guys got it so much easier,doesnt matter if they have shit technique when you can jump like a bullet)

Trained a year in boxing and a year in mma ,had a fight in mma which i lost on points,was able to hang with the guy on a technical level but he was fast and explosive as fuck and i could not catch him(he later went to ammy mma world championship thingy)

Which brings me here lmao

If you're slow as you say, focus on timing rather than blitzing speed. Everyone has to retract on their strikes, that's your time. You;ll need to keep your movements very compact and subtle so there's no wasted time. If they are backing up most of the time, you should be working on ring cutting, esp. if you're the shorter of the two

In my experience its just speed is a thing you have or you dont (explosive guys got it so much easier,doesnt matter if they have shit technique when you can jump like a bullet)

Trained a year in boxing and a year in mma ,had a fight in mma which i lost on points,was able to hang with the guy on a technical level but he was fast and explosive as fuck and i could not catch him(he later went to ammy mma world championship thingy)

Which brings me here lmao

You can get a little bit faster. Chris weidman was slow as hell. Now he's got better speed. (According to people he was slower a few years ago than when he fought romero he was faster)

Easiest way to bridge the distance is to parry a punch and step in as you do so. I call it the "active" parry. Watch how Marciano does it. He will parry the jab stepping in behind it before they have time to regain the position.

Stay behind the jab, low kicks, and straight punches. Either they come to you or you pressure them into the ropes.

If they back up super far there’s nothing wrong with always ending with a kick. It’s a free strike they are giving you

Okay so problem is im slow as fuck and people can dodge my combos by backing up and im wondering is there any technical thing i can do that doesnt rely on explosiveness.

There is technical training you can do using a metronome to increase the speed.

You also might want to look at plyometric and isometric exercises to increase your reflexes and speed developing your fast twitch muscles further.

Look into how the hinge and socket joints work on the human body what muscle, tendon, ligament, bone supporting muscles are needed to work at maximum speed with strength and power, seems like you need to be doing allot more than cardio, you got to implement a training fitness plan and develop these skills/traits.

(that being said i usually throw a kick at the end of combination whick usually hits because im tall and have long legs)

Well my recommendation would be after a punch combination or even before shoot a dynamic side kick by moving into and past the stationary point using the rear leg to cross the center having lifted the knee and also coiling it back before fully extending it like this...

sorry if this is a dumb question lol,trying to learn how to deal with people who have speed.

unsure what is really going on here, but it sounds to me that your experiencing some frustration in your bouts, you have stated they back up.

Well you are the taller guy so they are going to retract if you charge at them to much they will also play to that and allow you to wear yourself out by getting you to chase them as they are moving in and out.

Its a game of strategy, change your approach several times during a round, that will confuse them.

As an example when they come at you slip to the side and unbalance them with a push then combinations use various tactics in a changing strategy, if your lucky while they are unbalanced you might successfully achieve a K.O.

Think how Ronda lost to Rousey that was no accident Holly found an angle and unleashed putting Ronda right where she needed her to be.

It also seems by reading your post you are trying to hard, relax be clear of thought be the game-plan not the opponent find your way and the openings will happen, don't just head hunt.

To many fighters, do this with poor result, so be strategic and calm, think but with out blocking or absorbing all your attention to the issue.

Create setups not wins, the win will happen naturally but I think you are forcing it.

What about footwork learning what patterns of footwork get you into the situation you want, something else you might want to look into.

You have provided details such as that you are tall that gives you a good range but frustrated that they back up how do you use the ring?

Here is a good video........

They are just some thoughts you might consider, hope it helps or at least puts some things together for you to take further in your learning.

Last edited:
Stay behind the jab, low kicks, and straight punches. Either they come to you or you pressure them into the ropes.

If they back up super far there’s nothing wrong with always ending with a kick. It’s a free strike they are giving you
that's what i call active pressure. watch bob foster for "inactive" pressure. force your opponent to move or punch through aggressive positioning, then blast 'em. this style requires confidence in your defence and power, but it works if your a bit slow. (seriously it's my go to thing and you can neutralise speed with correct positioning and power, and THE JAB) you can't beat a good jab to neutralise a speed advantage. vernon forest claimed his victory over the faster mosley was because of the jab.

Use feints and long range attacks (teeps etc) to them to to back up. Once they're closer to the edge (the ropes or cage), cut them off and start attacking for real.

I’ve found that the use of feints (to draw a reaction and lull them to sleep), timing and angles are often the answer to overcome a speed disadvantage. Also, it sounds like your opponents may be reading you. Try recording yourself shadow boxing and see if you have any “tells.”

There is always one time where an opponent is always within hitting distance; when he is trying to hit you.

It's a lot easier to hit people when they are moving towards you, than when they are moving away.

Get good at combining your defense with your offense. Ie, punching while slipping at the same time, anticipating their punch.

If you get good at preternatural attacks, then whether it's a one inch difference, or a ten inch difference, the results become essentially the same.

Joe Louis made a career out of this, jabbing while they're jabbing. His jab would hit, and the other guys jab would whiff. Just get into the habit of covering all your offense with defensive movement, this is the acme of boxing.

Also if you wanna catch people, you need that lead/gazelle hook; perfect for leaping in, and especially effective in opposite stance matchups, as it hits the open side. In mirrored stance matchups, leading with your cross hand becomes much more impactful, as it hits the open side.

Last edited:
Working on the speed of your jab using it slow and fast, not moving forward, mixing it with jab feints will stop them from backing up so you can hit them. If you're really worried about your speed, jab at the part of their arm they hold closest to you; you'll save a millisecond and you can use it to parry a punch they throw with that hand. And you get them worried about the jab.

If you're already throwing kicks at the end of combinations as they back up, mix in kicks to the foot he leaves behind as he goes backwards. That's going to stop him from moving backward too. Plus it's a long-term strategy, which plays really nice with how you said your cardio's a big asset. Ideally by the last round his feet will have slowed while he fights someone more fresh.

You're not slow af, you're just not covering the distance properly.

A combo should never fall short ever. Your first punch needs to land and or setup the next punch to land.

In boxing it would look like this.

Neutral position, You throw a Jab, he parries. This right here will cause you to lose your combo and your engagement, as he is well aware of your jab and the next punch that will follow. He is aware something is coming and is already in a defensive mindset.

You throw a jab, he parries, you throw it again it lands because he isn't ready to parry the second and or expecting something else. Now this is the time to attack with the combo as you gauged your distance with the jab, it landed. Now you know you can hit him.

Throw Jab, he parries, and he returns with a jab. Parry this jab and than land your Jab. Once it Lands, combo must start.

EDIT: For Thai because it seems like you kick. Would be frontkick, he parries, wack him with jab. If Jab lands, follow up with combo. They are always expecting something my man, if your frontkick/ legkick/ jab do not land, than your combo will never. Frontkick/Jab behind every combo my man.

Yeah i noticed this works best for me usually.

Will have to eat a few punches though when the guy blitzes lol (still the best tactic that worked for me though)

I make a cross combination like in Dutch Kickboxing

Back