Court Hearing Reveals UFC Financial Records: Fighters Paid 20% (Bellator 45%)

How much should UFC fighters get paid?

• Total voters
So Bellator fighters are paid more?

No, they arent.

20% of a lot is better than 45% of fuck all

Some might disagree with you.

Ben-Henderson-toothpick.png

Gegard.jpg

621640-rory-macdonald-pourra-prendre-sa.jpg

what?

that 20% of a shit load of revenue is more than 45% of fuck all revenue?

people actually think that 45% is better than 20% in this situation?

we have this thread every week, and every week a bunch of sherdoggers that clearly have not even a basic understanding of finance get all het up and excited.

I think you're missing the issue.

This is like comparing Bill Gates's charitable contributions to Joe Public.

Yes Bill is donating more total money and that is good, but Joe Public is donating more of his money which makes him more charitable.

UFC may pay its fighters more money, but thats because they EARN more money. No one is saying UFC's 20% is worse than better than Bellator's 40%, they're saying UFC is a fucking cheapskate by comparison

my labour costs in the last company I worked for were about 15%. Company before that (international company) around 7-9%
But here the labour is actually the product.

War bellator. Talk of a union is utter nonsense and anyone who thinks with any form of clarity can see in practice it could and would never happen.

The Ali act being extended to MMA(or something similar) is the only hope for fighters to get paid more and have more flexibility.
It won’t happen because the fighters with the most clout are paid well and have no interest in a union. If the majority banded together it could well happen.

See I told you guys that buying the UFC hot dog brander wouldn't lead to a wage increase for fighters, but you never listened to me, you all brought it and were stubborn.
You guys paid for it? Bro I've been a shill for the UFC for years on sherdog. Dana has sent me 6 branders. I keep texting him I want some gloves be he ignores me.

You guys paid for it? Bro I've been a shill for the UFC for years on sherdog. Dana has sent me 6 branders. I keep texting him I want some gloves be he ignores me.
I want to make a complaint, tell daddy Dana that I am unhappy with the quality of the hot dog brander. I can't make out the UFC letters as I had hoped for on my dogs.

images

If only Bellator would change their pee pee name they might get taken seriously

what?

that 20% of a shit load of revenue is more than 45% of fuck all revenue?

people actually think that 45% is better than 20% in this situation?

we have this thread every week, and every week a bunch of sherdoggers that clearly have not even a basic understanding of finance get all het up and excited.

Yes.

And you would be part of that bunch.

What some people can't understand is that UFC is neither a sports league nor a trade association (like nfl).
It's a PRIVATE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY.
It's an entertainment business, and as in any entertainment business, biggest stars and top dogs are very well compensated while others are getting peanuts.
There's a union in Hollywood, and do you think all actors share the percentage of the profit? Hell no.

That the UFC paid about the same percent of revenue to the fighters as other sports did their athletes. And mind you, that approx 20% apparently includes every single thing given to the fighters, not just show/win cash, but all bonuses and discretionary pay, including the famous backroom bonuses everyone images is huge. Meaning the PPV and extra given to the lucky few the UFC actually promotes eats a big chunk.
Exactly. I can’t even imagine how much someone like Conor fighting skews those numbers and it’s still below 30% total.

No fighter should be making under $50k to perform on a major UFC card. That 25k/25k shit is ridiculous. It should be something like 70/30 splits. Example: 35k to show and 15k to win, would be an good start to better fighter pay.

How fucked is it that a fighter goes through a whole camp and pays for everything. Then could fight their heart out, have a back and forth exciting war, lose a split decision, then lose half his pay

Nope I’m actually not. English is my 4th language. I know that might be hard for your cheeseburger and hot dog brain to understand. But don’t worry, I’ll speak only English to you. Wouldn’t wanna confuse your pea sized brain any further.
No no, you have confused my giant Murican' brain with your rage-filled commietardation.

The point is that the fighters contribute equally to the gross revenue in both organizations, and one gives their fighters over twice the percentage.

Obviously the UFC does more for the fighter than Bellator, in terms of opportunity. But it's still acting as a monopoly. And 19% is still a good 10 percent below fair.
A, there is no "fair." If you think there is for such an esoteric sport, you need to rethink the core concepts of capitalism. There is no "fair" on either side; its only unfair once government gets heavy-handedly involved.

B, it is not a monopoly because there are other options. It is the best league. Compare to the NFL, which is truly the only league.

If bellator can afford 45% and stay afloat then there’s no reason the ufc can’t. No excuse for this.
Thanks random guy for telling a company you didn't built how to run itself!

There is an excuse: Bellator is likely not making Viacom very much money. Bellator pays quite poorly, actually. Their attraction to fighters is advertising. The reason the percentage is higher is because of how little Bellator earns. Math friend, if you lower the denominator, you raise the product of the equation.

Thanks random guy for telling a company you didn't built how to run itself!

There is an excuse: Bellator is likely not making Viacom very much money. Bellator pays quite poorly, actually. Their attraction to fighters is advertising. The reason the percentage is higher is because of how little Bellator earns. Math friend, if you lower the denominator, you raise the product of the equation.
Great point, also just because they are paying that doesn't mean they can afford to - plenty of companies run in the red in an effort to develop to the point they are profitable and can then pay back investments.

I don't know what the UFC can/can't afford to pay, but I imagine paying enough for athletic talent to want to enter the sport is only good for MMA and the UFC. i.e. so one can make minimum the same fighting three times a year as they would as an NFL redshirt (which is currently $136k in the 17 week season). That'd be $45k to show.

Last edited:
after day 3 of the UFC hearings, here's an updated table on comparison of annual revenue for the major US promotions 2009-2016

See I told you guys that buying the UFC hot dog brander wouldn't lead to a wage increase for fighters, but you never listened to me, you all brought it and were stubborn.
I didn't buy it for the fighters I bought it so my hotdogs can beat up your hotdogs.

Like to know how much the UFC suits actually made from the Reebok deal themselves. When Zuffa was planning to sell and wanted to squeeze every penny first.

Because I guarantee the real money from that deal came in the UFC "official sponsor" stuff apart from the publicly released shitty fighter's deal, which they aren't even getting. Remember Dana saying they would get every penny and then talk came about administration fees and all that bs to explain where the rest went? It costs several million dollars a year to hand out Reebok gear apparently at a few dozen events.

Don't forget about the sponsors that Every organization allows except the UFC, that makes a HUGE difference.

War bellator. Talk of a union is utter nonsense and anyone who thinks with any form of clarity can see in practice it could and would never happen.

The Ali act being extended to MMA(or something similar) is the only hope for fighters to get paid more and have more flexibility.
Or kill the sport

If you put the same exact card and call it bellator the revenue would probably be a third. Don’t be surprised the pay out is less. It has to be.

Back