Couple questions about the Woman's Strawweight division

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MitMcl, Jan 18, 2015.

1. MitMcl

MitMcl Black Belt

I am admittedly not as knowledgeable when it comes to this division and I have a couple of questions.

First of all, what are Jedrzejczyk's realistic chances of beating Esparza?

Secondly, who are the fighters most likely to obtain title shots following the Esparza/Jedrzejczyk fight?

2. riitzni

riitzni Silver Belt

Toluca Prison, hanging with the convicts and carvi
    Did you watch both the champ's and the Polish Jedi's last fights? Because those will help with your questions. If you haven't, go see them right now.

The Cookie Monster is a ground fighter. You saw that in the title bout. Thug Rose talks a good game but she's a lot like her bf Pat Barry, great kickboxer without the ground game to match. Esparza is legit as fuck. Her only real loss imo is to the best WSW to compete, Mega Megu, one of the most talented fighters the sport has had. She's been wrecking people.

Joanna however is undefeated and if you watched her fight plus her HL reel you'll know why. Simply put, if she can keep the fight standing like the mostly did in her last fight with Gadelha (the heir apparent of WSW now beaten). If she keeps it standing she can win. The fight will essentially be like Frankie Edgar vs Cub Swanson, except I hope to good Joanna's TDD is up to par.

On the horizon there's a few good candidates coming up, notably the other Joanne in the division who is also undefeated and also has a smexy accent. Even though she lost to Rose on TUF, she'll probably be fast tracked to a title shot.

Hope that helps.

3. HatersUnited

HatersUnited Orange Belt

Jed an Carla is a very interesting match up. They both just got past some serious killers in their last fights. Would not bet on this fight for anything. So yeah. I think she has a great chance of beating Carla. Check out their last opponents, Rose and Claudia. They will be hard to keep from the belt. An that girl who is a cheerleader is bringing a lot of excitement to the division an could be a real threat.

4. Woliwo

Woliwo Brown Belt

1. Very small. She is a legit champ untill Aguilar shows up.
    2. Hmm Gadelha lost her last fight, Penne lost to Carla in TUF, Rose lost in the finale, Tecia lost twice during TUF. Calderwood's matches was crappy, but I guess she's the most logical.
    Aguilar would be the most interesting, but she isn't signed by the UFC :(

5. SirKratos

SirKratos Silver Belt

1.Something between %20-%40 imo
    2.Rose,Gadelha,Joanne

6. SirKratos

SirKratos Silver Belt

I'm a Calderwood fan but we all know the way they lose fights will not matter for matchmakers.Rose lost in the finale,so she has the best chance for the title shot.

7. VolkHan

VolkHan Brown Belt

1- more than people here thinks: Joanna is much bigger than Carla, has great TDD and is one of the best strikers in the division; btw I give a 50%
    2- on paper Penne should be very close, but Carla and Jessica already fought on TUF ... is possible that the winner of a matchup like Calderwood-Daly get the next title shot. Also, Aguilar directly if she signs with UFC

8. Better Every Day

Better Every Day Zhang finishing Andrade avatar Platinum Member

I think that you have not given an accurate assessment of Rose's ground game. Both of her official pro wins have been by submission. She also defeated both Joanne Calderwood and Randa Markos by submission during TUF 20. Rose is capable of stringing together dangerous submission attacks at lightning speed. Just because she lost to the champion Carla Esparza on the ground doesn't mean she has crappy ground skills.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  9. Better Every Day

Better Every Day Zhang finishing Andrade avatar Platinum Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Jessica Penne wins the title as some point. She was the atomweight Invicta FC champion and she is slowly (it takes longer for women) working to add muscle mass to be a competitively strong strawweight. She is actually one of the tallest strawweights and so she has a frame that can accomodate more muscle.

I find her to be one of the most interesting fighters in all of MMA to watch on the ground. She has long legs (that she uses with exceptional skill) and extreme flexibility that she uses both to attack and to escape attacks.

10. theanticool

theanticool Brown Belt

I think Joanna's going to knock Esparza out.

After Joanna, it really comes down to who starts winning fights impressively. Penne, Calderwood, Gadelha, and Torres are all right there probably. They need to start booking fights.

11. SpiderCrawl

SpiderCrawl Red Belt

Polish champ this year!!!