Couple of Heavy Bag Questions

StevenH

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just had a couple of questions about the heavy bag I am interested in buying, as well as how to fill it.

I'm looking at buying a 6' fairtex banana bag for my house, and I am not sure how to go about filling it and hanging it up. I plan on putting it in my garage, but I don't really have a very good idea on how to hang it securely. Also, from the research that I have done, I think I have a method for filling my bag, and I just want some second opinions on it. I wanted to line the entire bag with carpet padding on the inside, and fill a tube with sand, seal it, and place it in the middle of the bag to add extra weight. Then I would just fill around the tube and the rest of the bag with as much fabric scraps as I can get in.

Also, anyone ever order from this site ( MMA Gear Pimp - MMA Gear, UFC MMA Clothing, MMA Shorts, BJJ Gi, MMA Shirts, UFC store, Fight Store in Canada ), because they have an amazing price for a fairtex bag, but I want to make sure I'm not getting scammed.

Thanks in advance,
-Steven

I hung my 100lb banana bag up. Purchase from KO Fightgear. Three strong bolts into two separate 2x4's with some chain, and it works just fine.

I'll get picks up soon

Everything you mentioned sounds right. I would be sure to take the additional time to cut the fabric into strips, as people who have not bothered, stated they wish that they had taken the time to do it. And, you may want to wait before filling the tube with sand, and get a weight on the bag when packed, before adding the sand to the tube. It may be more than heavy enough, and the tube is meant to give structure to the bag, as opposed to necessarily adding weight. You could just leave the tube unsealed on the top end, and then add the sand and seal it if necessary. It should preferrably be something with structure like a PVC tube, but not large enough in diameter so that you can feel it with really hard kicks.

Search this forum for ways to hang a heavy bag, as there should be some threads with photos. The one thing that I "personally" find absolutely necessary is to add a heavy bag spring to the link in the chain between the bag and the ceiling mount. It really absorbs the shock and takes out any loud banging noise and shock delivered to the structure of your home or garage. You can find the springs at places like Title Boxing / Title MMA or Ringside Boxing and Combat Sports International for a nominal price. Most springs that you find locally will not be heavy enough. Never shopped at the website you mentioned, so can't help there. Good luck!

:icon_chee

Unless you live outside the USA and shipping is too high, get a KO Fightgear bag.
You won't be able to fill one yourself as well as they do.

REALLY

thanks for the feedback so far guys! Unfortunately, I live outside the US, so I guess the KOFG bag is not an option, but after seeing such good reviews about it, and seeing the price, I would really have preferred that option.

EDIT: wait after reading what you said again, is the shipping high for out of the US, or do they just not ship outside of the US?

MMA Gear Pimp - MMA Gear, UFC MMA Clothing, MMA Shorts, BJJ Gi, MMA Shirts, UFC store, Fight Store in Canada is actually a Canadian based store and they ship to Can and the US. So if you live in Canada shipping shouldnt be too bad.

Also you can check out bushido.ca, they are based in BC. I ordered a 150lbs bag from them a while ago and shipping from BC to ON was $100 I think. you can also check out Gorilla Fight Gear!, Hi Performance Fight Gear for Muay Thai, Boxing, BJJ & MMA, I have only ordered gloves and shin guards from them.

Last edited:
do you mean hang the bag? that's what I'm going to be doing....

No, he means "hang bang". :icon_lol: Search this forum for a thread, "Can you hang bang like this?", and trust me, it is definitely worth the read.

:icon_chee

that was one of the best laughs I've had in a while on the computer! anyways thanks for the hang bang help guys!

Back