Couple fined and threatened with jail for feeding the homeless

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-couple-fined-threatened-jail-feeding-homeless-n103786

The police justified it by stating

"We as a city have spent millions of dollars to turn that park into a place for families, kids and dog lovers," Chitwood said. "We have an ordinance that says when people want to perform acts of kindness or charity that they must coordinate with our local social service agencies.

"They were told (the previous Wednesday) that if they come back there, they would be cited and they could risk going to jail," Chitwood said. "There is a segment of the homeless population that is homeless by choice. I don't want to impugn them all. But some are homeless because they are sex offenders, substance abusers and bank robbers. That's why we ask (Good Samaritans) to coordinate with our social service agencies, because they know who needs to be served."

I think this is an example of how unfree we are becoming. Am I the only one or does anyone concur?

Sounds like they need to find a new park to live in.

Giving people food = get arrested. Seems legit.

Can you use public land as you wish or does the state have a right to regulate it? Be glad the BLM snipers weren't there.

Yeah coz feeding homeless people in 10 sq foot = using 1000+ acres to graze your cattle on without a permit.

But Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood said the Jimenezes had been warned one week earlier to stop their weekly feeding sessions after local residents complained that some homeless people gathering in the park were defecating and urinating on the grounds, and that some were showing up drunk at dawn.

If I throw a party for a bunch of my friends and they are pissing and shitting all over the place, I fully expect to be told not to hold get togethers there again. Public place or not.

Welcome to America? Not far from my house I have traveled to donate clothing to the homeless. They sell it to buy supplies and food there are a few of them that are jerks and drug addicts you have to watch out. Majority are just stuck I have been to see a family who moved in the area because their father got a job at a local plant. He worked there for a year and then was layoff from the job. He is currently looking for another job while looking they decided to continue to stay in the area. They feel he has a better shot at getting a job then back in WV. They have family in the area but not very close to where they want to stay. So they cannot afford an apartment so they continue to be homeless.

The news clipping I posted to start this thread also had comments from a local Daytona Beach native:

I'm a resident of Daytona. This is not a busy park. There have been no reported violations by these people, other than this bogus ordinance by a Democrat-run city and a crooked police chief.
These homeless people are citizens, and it's a public park. That means they have as much right to be there as anyone.
They're also citizens, so it's also THEIR park. Nice try. The City of Daytona is as corrupt as they come in this country. They even lie about having services in place for these people. They don't.
You don't live here, so you're talking out your ass. Had you read the articles on this, you'd know they clean every scrap of refuse in the park at the end of the day. It's actually cleaner after they leave. Not letting these American citizens congregate in a public place they also own as American citizens is bigotry at its finest. Not allowing them a meal doesn't make them disappear. They're everywhere down here. The city doesn't do jack squat for them. I'd rather they congregate and eat, than starve alone in one of the alleys in this crooked ass city.
As a resident of the Daytona area, let me be completely clear about a couple of things. Volusia County, and Daytona Beach, are utterly corrupt. They are completely ran by Democrats. They wage an unending war on the Constitution. Just a few case studies...
Government spent millions on a convention center. It sits empty 11 months a year. Their answer to the problem? A $60 million expansion...
Daytona PD's third is command is an officer who was previously fired for sexual harassment of multiple female officers. He was rehired by the crooked DBPD Chief, Chitwood.
They spent $10 million on a African cultural center, and placed it in the middle of the worst area of town, which defeats the purpose. Black people already know their culture, and no white person is going to risk life and limb in the ghetto to visit it.
The DPD moved from a modest building in the worst part of town, into a $20 million absurdity on the outskirts of town. Homicides went up 400% where the station used to be.
Volusia County spent $10 million, and wasted prime OCEANFRONT property on a monstrous headquarters for its Beach Patrol.
The city constantly harasses citizens in districts it wants to eminent domain on behalf of crooked business ventures. It even pits long-time business and real estate owners against new businesses preferred by the crooked Councils.
They raised property and sales tax "temporarily due to the weak economy", then gave $20 million in tax breaks (county), and $20 million in tax breaks (city), for the "Daytona One" project. $40 million in handouts to the company building it, then the County and City voted to extend the "temporary" tax increases. Proving the tax increases were actually bribes and kickbacks to business, on the backs of the lowest paid work force in the entire state of Florida.
The city even uses its attack dog, Chief Chitwood, to harass local businessman. You can google the feud between this crooked ass cop and John Hinton. This corrupt media whore, Chitwood, also called law-abiding citizens "knuckleheads". He also called the elected, upstanding, professional Volusia County Sheriff, Ben Johnson, a "moron". His officers harass the homeless and minorities. They're fat, lazy slobs with no professionalism.
The vile nature of this section of Florida could fill volumes. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
Oh, and as for this article... complete lies. The city's services for the homeless population are completely inadequate. There are only two SMALL shelters with about 20 beds each. There are HUNDREDS of homeless in this area. Do the math. Some of these people will undoubtedly go hungry now. Disgusting. The police didn't have to enforce this, just like they let you go for jaywalking and traffic violations on occasion. It's called officer discretion. They CHOSE to attack these poor homeless people. It's vile, but not unexpected from the sickening institution known as the Daytona Beach Police Department.

"They spent $10 million on a African cultural center, and placed it in the middle of the worst area of town, which defeats the purpose. Black people already know their culture, and no white person is going to risk life and limb in the ghetto to visit it."
Not sure about the mental faculties of this guy.

Not sure about the mental faculties of this guy.

He may have been careless in that statement, but I fail to see how his observations are not valid about everything else. Besides, his statement about white people not going to be willing to go to the ghettos may not have been worded great but it is true. The only part that was wrong was the "black people know their culture" part, one wrong thing out of everything else posted.

The government can't have people doing jobs the government is expected to perform. We can't have needling less government or standing in the way of the work of true professionals.

He may have been careless in that statement, but I fail to see how his observations are not valid about everything else. Besides, his statement about white people not going to be willing to go to the ghettos may not have been worded great but it is true. The only part that was wrong was the "black people know their culture" part, one wrong thing out of everything else posted.

I think that your source is not any more reliable than anybody else who spouts things off on the internet. The waging war on the constitution part was more than likely a bunch of hyperbole as well. He also makes a number of other claims that it is doubtful he could prove, but are pretty typical of regional-politics rumor-mongering.

I think that your source is not any more reliable than anybody else who spouts things off on the internet. The waging war on the constitution part was more than likely a bunch of hyperbole as well. He also makes a number of other claims that it is doubtful he could prove, but are pretty typical of regional-politics rumor-mongering.

That is a fair point, and it would be one thing if it was just him saying these things, but I posted a number of links above that suggest the same thing, and here's some more:

http://wikiprotest.com/blog/the-cops-in-daytona-beach-are-completely-out-of-their-fucking-minds/

http://www.daytonapost.com/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/1570805-why-do-they-call-dirty-daytona.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/1379571-daytona-beach-corruption-pay-play.html

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.50853475151.77112.49864045151

The last post shows how it has become something of a running gag.

I've tried giving homeless people food before. They usually get pissed off and ask if you have any cash.

If I throw a party for a bunch of my friends and they are pissing and shitting all over the place, I fully expect to be told not to hold get togethers there again. Public place or not.

Pretty much my thoughts.

And those thoughts would be legitimate, if that concern was directly accounted for in the after-event clean up.

And those thoughts would be legitimate, if that concern was directly accounted for in the after-event clean up.

The article does not truly address the issue of whether or not the park was properly cleaned up after each event. All we get are some vague words from the Daytona police - who have been shown to be hardly reliable - that could be interpreted as sort of addressing that.

Thanks but no thanks. We're perfectly happy continuing to disperse the homeless at a sweet profit.

Back