Country specific UFC's

So US, Japan, Russia.

Might as well keep going.

Obviously Brazil. And South Korea. England and Ireland of course.

And Netherlands. Then Mexico is an obvious market too.

China is a possibility on a lesser level but sheer population will mean a lot of people care.

That's a start.

In all these country's it's only hardcore fans it's not mainstream and never will be
Sorry to bust ya bubble, don't get carried away because they sell out an arena here and there around the world, MMA will and always will be a niche thing, just because we have a good community on here doesn't correspond with the real world

While I agree it'd be cool to very visually see which country is improving, typically it doesn't make for good fights. Cliches of regions still exist. Brazilians fight a certain way. Russians fight a certain way. UK fighters fight a certain way. I'm not specifically looking forward to the next ACB because the lack of interesting style clashes that will come up on an almost all Brazilian card. Its better to get a contrast of styles.

While I agree it'd be cool to very visually see which country is improving, typically it doesn't make for good fights. Cliches of regions still exist. Brazilians fight a certain way. Russians fight a certain way. UK fighters fight a certain way. I'm not specifically looking forward to the next ACB because the lack of interesting style clashes that will come up on an almost all Brazilian card. Its better to get a contrast of styles.

I didn't think of that but it would actually be interesting to me to see if in fact different countries develop appreciably different styles, and then of course match them against each other in an annual international competition.

To digress a little, in terms of evolution, there's advantages in terms of evolving the most globally fit species to divide populations and let them evolve isolated from each other, while only periodically competing against each other. The technical reason being that a single population tends to get stuck in a local minimum (for those interested).

Last edited:
In all these country's it's only hardcore fans it's not mainstream and never will be
Sorry to bust ya bubble, don't get carried away because they sell out an arena here and there around the world, MMA will and always will be a niche thing, just because we have a good community on here doesn't correspond with the real world
Oh, I thought we were restricting our countries talk in the MMA sports world. As in, there’s no MMA following in say Argentina, but there is in all those countries I mentioned.

I didn’t know you wanted to talk mainstream. Of course MMA is not mainstream anywhere. Not even in the US

What do you guys think about country specific UFC's, like a China specific UFC and Indonesia specific UFC etc. limited only to athletes from that country?

Why have such a thing? Well both the UFC and fans would like to see MMA grow all over the world. I think there are many countries that would be big fans of MMA, but where the ecosystem doesn't exist yet to produce world class MMA fighters. For example, imagine if you had no BJJ black belts in your country to train you and no sparring partners. If you find the rare fighter in these countries who can compete on talent alone and put them into the UFC, they will most likely lose, and then the interest in that country will dissipate before it ever has a chance to take root.

However, everyone is interested in a good fight. If you limit it just to athletes from that country, people from that country will probably love seeing it. MMA would have a chance to become popular. And where there's popularity, there's money and a chance for an ecosystem to develop. There will be increasingly more schools, teachers, sparring partners, and means of making a living based on MMA. The UFC can use both its capital and experience shepherding such a process in the US to grow MMA in that country. Once each year, they can also have an exciting world competition, like the Olympics.

This would help MMA grow world wide, attract more top level athletes, and possibly lead to more TMA's being incorporated into MMA, making it an overall more exciting sport.
What do you guys think about country specific UFC's, like a China specific UFC and Indonesia specific UFC etc. limited only to athletes from that country?

Why have such a thing? Well both the UFC and fans would like to see MMA grow all over the world. I think there are many countries that would be big fans of MMA, but where the ecosystem doesn't exist yet to produce world class MMA fighters. For example, imagine if you had no BJJ black belts in your country to train you and no sparring partners. If you find the rare fighter in these countries who can compete on talent alone and put them into the UFC, they will most likely lose, and then the interest in that country will dissipate before it ever has a chance to take root.

However, everyone is interested in a good fight. If you limit it just to athletes from that country, people from that country will probably love seeing it. MMA would have a chance to become popular. And where there's popularity, there's money and a chance for an ecosystem to develop. There will be increasingly more schools, teachers, sparring partners, and means of making a living based on MMA. The UFC can use both its capital and experience shepherding such a process in the US to grow MMA in that country. Once each year, they can also have an exciting world competition, like the Olympics.

This would help MMA grow world wide, attract more top level athletes, and possibly lead to more TMA's being incorporated into MMA, making it an overall more exciting sport.

The GOAT Era was when Sambo Masters collided with the Elite Brazilian grapplers... in Rings.

Back