Countries with the Best Food

Well I live in Thailand so I'll address a few things

I was there last year too and had the opposite experience. The food was flawless. Were you in Bangkok? City food is shit, but in the rural areas you can get incredible meals on every corner.

As someone that has lived in Bangkok for years I find this hilarious and also a bit sad. So wrong, so very wrong.

"city food is shit"

wot

I wonder how many people who say SE Asia has the best food, has actually been there. If you eat what the locals who have no money do, you might be surprised.

Wrong (for Thailand at least). The food poor people can afford here is INFINITELY better than the food poor people could eat in your country. Here poor people can afford to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. They can eat amazing noodle dishes, soups, curries, rice dishes etc. The poor people I know back in Australia are eating canned foods, 2minute noodles, and bulk buying processed crap to keep costs down. Hell, even poor people can afford to eat out here. Poor people in your country are probably sitting around a toaster with a knife ready to butter some bread lol.

Thai eating culture (and in general) is also very communal. Poor people share resources and eat together. They don't have to sit there with one crappy meal like a poor westerner. A meal out with friends or family (which is most meals) is often like a mini buffet.

minib.jpg

Want dessert? No problem. Only about 100 options starting at the low low price of 25c. What are poor people in your country having for dessert? Can they even afford to go out and eat some?

Khanom Bua Loi (ขนมบัวลอย)

bualoi.jpg

As someone that has lived in Bangkok for years I find this hilarious and also a bit sad. So wrong, so very wrong.

"city food is shit"

wot

Wrong (for Thailand at least). The food poor people can afford here is INFINITELY better than the food poor people could eat in your country. Here poor people can afford to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. They can eat amazing noodle dishes, soups, curries, rice dishes etc. The poor people I know back in Australia are eating canned foods, 2minute noodles, and bulk buying processed crap to keep costs down. Hell, even poor people can afford to eat out here. Poor people in your country are probably sitting around a toaster with a knife ready to butter some bread lol.

Thai eating culture (and in general) is also very communal. Poor people share resources and eat together. They don't have to sit there with one crappy meal like a poor westerner. A meal out with friends or family (which is most meals) is often like a mini buffet.

minib.jpg

Want dessert? No problem. Only about 100 options starting at the low low price of 25c. What are poor people in your country having for dessert? Can they even afford to go out and eat some?

bualoi.jpg

All I can say is it is not for me.

I may not have been there as long as you, but the flavors were no where near as good as other places in Asia. I just think it is what you like, In general. A buffet of crap is still crap.

I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did though. To compare Ramen noodle packets to actual cuisine, is laughable. Still, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Where are you at in Thailand?

Sorry for the misspellings and grammar errors.

"city food is shit"

wot

minib.jpg

bualoi.jpg

Can you speak Thai?

your hate for texas has been long established why keep on

Countries with the best food.

Texas is mentioned.

Oh no! So much hate for thinking a state, any specific state, isn't even comparable with all the amazing food from entire countries. He should have just said America, bro.

I was going to disagree with you for a second, but you are correct. The fast food chains in other countries are not the same thing. They use their name to charge higher prices for shitty food. Meanwhile there are lots of great independent places to get decent food quickly that aren't "fast food".

Yeah the fast food franchise places in Thailand are shit in comparison. They have a few advantages though.

- Free WIFI

- Home Delivery (TY based KFC gods) You can even order online

- When you order at KFC, you can select EXACTLY what chicken pieces you want. Bucket full of breasts and thighs? Like a boss.

Food quality of them just isn't at the best level though. Some items are similar, but many are weaker.

"city food is shit"

wot

I lived in Chachoengsao and was told some of the best food is in the East so maybe I was spoiled, but every time I went to Bangkok the food got both less tasty and more expensive. The Thai food, anyway. The best burger and pancakes I've ever had in my life were both in Bangkok, but I could get a decent plate of khao phat gai to save my life.

Look to ancient civilizations so we could minimize the mixing of cuisines as much as possible. Since most cuisines are nothing more but amalgamations of ethnic ingredients with their bigger neighbors.

-chinese( influenced all of nea & sea)
-india(influenced sa)
-arabic(me)
-roman(french, italian, iberian)

Id go with chinese for variety.

All I can say is it is not for me.

I may not have been there as long as you, but the flavors were no where near as good as other places in Asia. I just think it is what you like, In general. A buffet of crap is still crap.

I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did though. To compare Ramen noodle packets to actual cuisine, is laughable. Still, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Where are you at in Thailand?

Sorry for the misspellings and grammar errors.

I'm in Bangkok. The good thing about the food here is that there is enough variety to please most people. There is a ton of cheap and tasty dishes, and places to go eat.

The funny thing about Bangkok is the WORST food I have had here is at the restaurant inside my condo. How they are still in business is beyond me. They get worse every year. I'm lazy, but I could be starving to death in my room and still not order their garbage food to my room.

Reason I compared cousine to ramen was to illustrate the point that poor people here can actually go out to eat on a regular basis, which is not the case for poor people in many other western countries.

China by a mile.

1.3 billion people, massive size. It has the most variety in the entire planet.

I lived in Chachoengsao and was told some of the best food is in the East so maybe I was spoiled, but every time I went to Bangkok the food got both less tasty and more expensive. The Thai food, anyway. The best burger and pancakes I've ever had in my life were both in Bangkok, but I could get a decent plate of khao phat gai to save my life.

I've found good food in most places I have been to. I'm partial to Issan food though. Had some incredible food last month up at Khon Kaen.

Khao pad is a pretty simple dish. You can get a good feed of that all over Bangkok. There are some bad places though no doubt. You should see how fucking terrible the khao pad is at my condo restaurant. lol. I'm tempted to order it to my room just to show you how pathetic it is.

If gauging off of which country has access to the best foods overall, I'd say Merica.

If talking which country has the best native cuisine overall, I'd say France.

The funny thing about Bangkok is the WORST food I have had here is at the restaurant inside my condo. How they are still in business is beyond me. They get worse every year. I'm lazy, but I could be starving to death in my room and still not order their garbage food to my room.

Reason I compared cousine to ramen was to illustrate the point that poor people here can actually go out to eat on a regular basis, which is not the case for poor people in many other western countries.

Well that's fair enough.

Some poster before seemed to equate street food with western fast food, and it's not even a fair competition, to say the least. I've gotten street food in Pai, that would make people question what the hell we are doing in this country.

You're right, though. Fast food here is horrible in comparison, though our food trucks in major cities beat street food over there. Of course its all subjective to me.

I've found good food in most places I have been to. I'm partial to Issan food though. Had some incredible food last month up at Khon Kaen.

Khao pad is a pretty simple dish. You can get a good feed of that all over Bangkok. There are some bad places though no doubt. You should see how fucking terrible the khao pad is at my condo restaurant. lol. I'm tempted to order it to my room just to show you how pathetic it is.

I just watched a recent episode of Anthony Bourdain - Parts Unknown and he was in Northern Thailand. The food they were eating in some small ass little villages looked sooo damn legit. Northern Thai food seems like the type of flavors I can really get into.

America because I can get some of the best ethnic cuisine in pretty much every metropolitan city.

America because I can get some of the best ethnic cuisine in pretty much every metropolitan city.

I agree and not just because of the all the great restaurants we have access to but also when I lived in NJ as a kid, I could go to my friend's houses and have puerto rican, italian, korean or chinese food cooked for me by their parents or grandparents. A lot of it authentic and just as good as if you traveled to the country.

I agree and not just because of the all the great restaurants we have access to but also when I lived in NJ as a kid, I could go to my friend's houses and have puerto rican, italian, korean or chinese food cooked for me by their parents or grandparents. A lot of it authentic and just as good as if you traveled to the country.

Most definitely. Best friend's family growing up was Hispanic, and eating there for any meal was always felt like a trip to Spain or Mexico. She actually gets her friend to mail her the real massa she needs for tamales, etc.

1. Turkey
1. Greece
1. Cyprus

That's it.

Back