Counting or figuring out calories in certain dishes

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by TheLeftHandPath**, Jan 1, 2013.

1. TheLeftHandPath**

TheLeftHandPath** Yellow Belt

How do I figure out the macros when I make Stews, Green beans & Bacon, or other sorts of veg dishes, curries etc.
    Even if I go by packaging info and use all ingredients based on 1 serving... my stews and green beans wont equal 1 serving size obviously. So how do I know how much I am consuming or how does one approach this area?

2. SmashPassSubmit

SmashPassSubmit White Belt

Buy a food scale. Use it to figure out how much of each ingredient you are putting into the dish. Do the math from there using the nutrition info on the package.

3. TheLeftHandPath**

seems you didn't read

"Even if I go by packaging info and use all ingredients based on 1 serving... my stews and green beans wont equal 1 serving size obviously."

I have a scale, but it does not help when it comes to making 8-10 servings of stew, green beans and bacon, spaghetti sauces, curries, etc.

I can't count how many carrots, potatoes, grams of sauce, etc when I serve myself 4oz of sauces or 8oz-12oz of stew....

I know exactly how much is in the entire POT - but when I break it down - what is considered to be a proper 1 serving for stews, sauces, curries, etc.

4. Pathogenic

Pathogenic Wo Cao Ni Ma

To be fair, you worded the question poorly.

You don't really need to worry so long as you finish the entire meal throughout the week. Also, if the stew you're making is reasonably blended then it shouldn't matter too much, anyway, because the servings will have close parity with your general serving calculations for the dish.

5. TheLeftHandPath**

I don't understand what you wrote other than the first sentence...can you dumb it down for me please, sorry.

6. dragon_21

dragon_21 Blue Belt

If you know the totals of the entire pot then just decide how many calories you want to consume at each meal. If the pot contains 2400 calories and you want to eat 400 calories just make six roughly equal servings (2400/400=6). Each serving will not be exact, but they will balance over the course of several days as you consume the food.

7. Pathogenic

Pathogenic Wo Cao Ni Ma

^This is what I meant. Sorry that I wasn't clear!

8. TheLeftHandPath**

gotcha