Countering when covered up

NoviVavilon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So whats your best counter when you have covered up and your opponent is unleashing on you... I always try to get a clinch ..or i jam him with my right arm while my chin is down...and low kick..whats the best thing to do ? We're talkin muay thai here

i saw bonjasky once trying a flying knee while covered up against cro cop.. is it any good?

I've always been taught to throw a front kick to create distance.

That, or bring in a clinch and turn him off balance.

yeah i forgot to add the front kick .. but i find jumping spinning back kick better ..they don't expect it ( if thats how you call it on english )
if it hits the liver it can be a bitch

yeah i forgot to add the front kick .. but i find jumping spinning back kick better ..they don't expect it ( if thats how you call it on english )
if it hits the liver it can be a bitch

are you serious?

to be honest, don't cover up. i understand that'll be harder in kickboxing, and much harder in boxing (easiest in mma.)

seriously, i hate covering up. my mt coach wants me to so i do it in sparring to show respect, but i slowly fade that out.
are you serious?

yea... how are you gonna pull that off when the guy is so close to you?

no.. i meant do that when someone is trying to get to you... not when you are all covered up already ...

depends, ill teep if they are really comming at me hard, usualy ill counter with a straight right or duck a punch and go to the body usualy with a leg kick after those punches.

sometimes a uppercut if i see they are charging me with there head down. really it depends who it is and what they do.

or i jam him with my right arm while my chin is down...and low kick..

If your opponent is has planted his feet and is unleashing at close distance I usually wouldnt recommend a low kick as it's easy to get caught with his hands. Clinch with a knee perhaps. Or turn him and step out at an angle(perhaps dangerous if you're inexperienced). To stop people from getting inside of you there is a lot of options as already pointed out, teep, clinch or meeting a guy charging with a right uppercut works for me.

What if it's boxing instead, what do ya recommend?

Being new to sparring and such, about all I do when I'm covered up is look to clinch, I did throw a decent left/rear hook when I was covered up against the wall that helped me work off tho.

If your opponent is has planted his feet and is unleashing at close distance I usually wouldnt recommend a low kick as it's easy to get caught with his hands. Clinch with a knee perhaps. Or turn him and step out at an angle(perhaps dangerous if you're inexperienced). To stop people from getting inside of you there is a lot of options as already pointed out, teep, clinch or meeting a guy charging with a right uppercut works for me.
no what i do is jam him with my right arm.. i usually put it right next to his neck..while keeping my chin down...and low kick.. kind of like what bonjasky did against badr hari

to be honest, don't cover up. i understand that'll be harder in kickboxing, and much harder in boxing (easiest in mma.)

seriously, i hate covering up. my mt coach wants me to so i do it in sparring to show respect, but i slowly fade that out.

yea... how are you gonna pull that off when the guy is so close to you?
i actually only need about a foot of space to pull it off might be do to my tkd roots before kickboxing

My trainer hates it when guys just put their arms over their face and cover up. If you look at the great defensive fighters, they rarely just cover up. They have an active defense; always looking at their opponent and looking to counter.
My trainers tells us to move our head and/or move our feet and circle.

Left Uppercut, straight right, left hook is my combo for when I am getting blasted.

If you're getting blasted by KO hooks at full power then he'll be vulnerable to uppercuts. Step in and throw a quick 5-6 to stun him.

Now I actually haven't been successful in doing this during full force sparring so take it with a grain of salt :)

If you're getting blasted by KO hooks at full power then he'll be vulnerable to uppercuts. Step in and throw a quick 5-6 to stun him.

Now I actually haven't been successful in doing this during full force sparring so take it with a grain of salt :)

:D I'm a big fan of the rear uppercut when being, as you say, "blasted - but I'm really no good at throwing it hehe.

I'm more of a straight puncher.

Back