Countering the overhand right with a rear roundhouse to the head?

Hack Saw

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does this work?

Its a pretty common technique to dip to the left to take your head off the centerline when throwing the overhand right.

But it sends you directly towards the opponent's right roundhouse kick if he was to throw one. Is the step back and rear a roundhouse a good counter for the overhand right?

Does anyone have any videos of someone utilizing this in a fight?

I’d bet my last dollar if you tried to throw a head kick in response to an OHR you’d get slept. That punch is getting there far quicker than the time it takes to read it and throw a kick.

I’d bet my last dollar if you tried to throw a head kick in response to an OHR you’d get slept. That punch is getting there far quicker than the time it takes to read it and throw a kick.

I think so too but there definitely seems to be an opening for the rear roundhouse when someone whiffs an overhand and has all their weight on their left.

I think so too but there definitely seems to be an opening for the rear roundhouse when someone whiffs an overhand and has all their weight on their left.
You have a better shot landing an uppercut or chopping elbow than the kick.

If the kick can land, its because the skill gap, reflexes, etc are worlds apart

If they're reaching and telegraphing and you're super confident then throw it HARD and don't pull it back. If you don't commit you'll probably misthrow the kick and eat that OHR. If you kick hard, even if you miss the head and hit the body, it'll push them off line.

d-m7yV.gif

If they're reaching and telegraphing and you're super confident then throw it HARD and don't pull it back. If you don't commit you'll probably misthrow the kick and eat that OHR. If you kick hard, even if you miss the head and hit the body, it'll push them off line.

d-m7yV.gif

Wow that was crazy. He committed so hard to that kick he jumped off the ground.

Do you think that it would still be effective if he used proper technique and kept his left hand up and kicked while blocking the overhand, instead of beating him to the punch?

Do you think that it would still be effective if he used proper technique and kept his left hand up and kicked while blocking the overhand, instead of beating him to the punch?

There's only one way to find out!

What Taco said!

Speed + Time + DISTANCE = U r getting OH smacked 9 out of 10!

You have a better shot landing an uppercut or chopping elbow than the kick.

If the kick can land, its because the skill gap, reflexes, etc are worlds apart

elbow like what Weidman threw against Munoz?

tumblr_metxt2Gqti1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Rear roundhouse no.

Lead roundhouse/switch kick? Yes.

Wont work against somebody with skills. A snap lead might work.

d-m7yV.gif
This is not Kaoklai countering an overhand right with a roundhouse kick; this is Mighty Mo trying to counter a roundhouse kick with an overhand right. The kick had already travelled halfway when the punching motion began.

I take it no one watched Jeremy Stephens vs rony jason?
This is the only example I’ve seen of this.

If I recall he said something like ‘if you lean heavy on that front leg throwing an overhand I’m gonna kick your head off.’

Jeremy also has a fade-away flying knee on Dennis Bermudez while he’s throwing an overhand as well

Last edited:
I mean, that's basically what I did in my MMA fight, although I used my lead leg. Since my opponent had already had 3 fights, I was able to watch video of him and see that his go-to technique was throwing an overhand right, often while going for a knee-pick with the left, which meant the left side of his head was wide open. We drilled that pretty extensively leading up to the fight, and while first-fight adrenaline made me basically useless in the first round, I was able to read him and throw it at the beginning of the second.
MMA-Debut-KO-3.gif

I mean, that's basically what I did in my MMA fight, although I used my lead leg. Since my opponent had already had 3 fights, I was able to watch video of him and see that his go-to technique was throwing an overhand right, often while going for a knee-pick with the left, which meant the left side of his head was wide open. We drilled that pretty extensively leading up to the fight, and while first-fight adrenaline made me basically useless in the first round, I was able to read him and throw it at the beginning of the second.
MMA-Debut-KO-3.gif

Nice, lefty to orthodox though. Even though it looks like he's crouching you look almost a foot taller. Nice kick and thanks for sharing

Nice, lefty to orthodox though. Even though it looks like he's crouching you look almost a foot taller. Nice kick and thanks for sharing

Yeah, from this angle the height difference looks significant, but I was really only 2in taller, and he had a longer reach than me. He also weighed in heavier than me, had fought 3 times already, and finished all 3 of those in the first round. Oh, and that was apparently his "pro debut," according to the announcer, which meant that he was fighting under pro rules, while that was my amateur debut, and I had to abide by amateur rules, which allow different things, so that was confusing.

Yeah, from this angle the height difference looks significant, but I was really only 2in taller, and he had a longer reach than me. He also weighed in heavier than me, had fought 3 times already, and finished all 3 of those in the first round. Oh, and that was apparently his "pro debut," according to the announcer, which meant that he was fighting under pro rules, while that was my amateur debut, and I had to abide by amateur rules, which allow different things, so that was confusing.

I meant no offence. He definitely looked chunkier.

Sounds like a scam to me and the promotion was invested in him and wanted him to win. Never heard of something like that before, if you were to give a handicap it would be to the least experienced.

Back