Countering the combat base

Papawash

clean and fresh
@purple
Reaction score
Do you guys have any go to techniques when your partner goes to combat base? Some suggestions would be great.

Well I go to RDLR and then I...no actually I mostly ankle pick.

If you have super long legs that can keep closed when they bring the knee up to open the guard, you can tilt them over. Risky for your balls tho.

In other situations I'd echo the ankle pick sentiments

shin to shin, all day ;). if they resist the slx entry by basing backwards just punch sweep. if they dont resist? how sweet it is :p

If I'm sitting up, ankle pick. If I'm more on my back, DLR. It's not a hard position to deal with on its own.

First option is calf slice, then wrestling, then single butterfly or half.

I try to get a lasso and stick my lassoing leg through and get a rdlr hook with it on his basing leg = sweep.

A better question is whether there is any point in ever taking a combat base, aside from just counter defensive posture against a sweep attempt or guard pull. To me, the combat base is the biggest free money posture anybody can take in an open guard engagement. You've got the ankle pick, rdlr, deep half, hook sweep, shin on shin to 1lx-- it just opens you up for the highest percentage entries to so many attacks.

I do combat base and knee slice guard against people that have a good triangle.

A better question is whether there is any point in ever taking a combat base, aside from just counter defensive posture against a sweep attempt or guard pull. To me, the combat base is the biggest free money posture anybody can take in an open guard engagement. You've got the ankle pick, rdlr, deep half, hook sweep, shin on shin to 1lx-- it just opens you up for the highest percentage entries to so many attacks.
Because if you are passing up the middle, you have the strongest defense and most mobility compared to standing or on both knees.

you let a good combat baser deep into your Open guard and his going to knee slice you pretty easily...

Because if you are passing up the middle, you have the strongest defense and most mobility compared to standing or on both knees.

I guess what I mean is taking the combat base posture when separated in open guard; once engaged there's plenty of useful situations for it. I see a lot of guys who will start with this posture and hop around, and it just seems like a dead end.

On his first DVD set Saulo shows you how to go from butterfly to 1lx / curu curu when they raise a leg. I've been using it on combat base and it works perfectly.

DLR

ankle pic / collar drag

Back