Countering a south paws overhand left?

Actually, lead uppercuts and hooks roll really easily off a straight/overhand lead. Every southpaw learns quickly how to land a straight - hook - straight combo after a few months training.

You really shouldn't rely on your opponent overbalancing themselves forward on the straight.

The first 3 punch combo everyone learns is the 1-2-3. Everyone throws learns to throw a hook after a rear straight.

I think you're missing my point because I wasn't talking about overbalancing, I'm talking about your position relative to their lead hand after you slip outside their lead side. If you slip with good position you should be just forward outside of their lead shoulder so they aren't going to be able to hit you with anything decent off that lead hand. If they start to read you of course then you could be in trouble when they adjust so that they can properly clock you.

That's true, if you slip inside and get good position...you will be fine for that split second. I'm just saying that you generally don't want to put your head on someone's attack line if you can help it.

Too many people throw a left hook, uppercut, straight after a cross.

Last edited:
That's true, if you slip inside and get good position...you will be fine for that split second. I'm just saying that you generally don't want to put your head in someone's attack line if you can help it.

Too many people throw a left hook, uppercut, straight after a cross.

This is probably my double cross combo (either upstair or head-body variation) works so well lol. Not many people expect that.

^somehow I find that hard to believe...

on topic, I think the most simple and basic way to counter the overhand left is to just block it... just answer the phone and block it, if its orthodox vs southpaw, you can just lift your arm, the block is just there... its not like blocking an overhand right from an orthodox, since your lead hand is most of the time lower than your rear hand, it feels weird..

just mix it up, pick one overhand to duck under/slip and block the rest.. also if you place your foot outside theirs (typical for fighting a southpaw) he shouldnt be able to land the overhand or without much power...

like in koscheck vs hendricks, kos at least survived because he was waiting for that overhand and blocked most of them...

Just blocking may work against low grade guys.
A good boxer has better accuracy , power . It'll just go through or more likely around you. Top of the head / back of the neck / front of your face / side of your face / temple / through your wrist.....too much to go wrong.
Best defense for the OVH is always .......never be there , slipping / pivoting / positioning / a combination of all three.

I think youre talking of that triangular arm on ear thing some schools teach ?
That's a bad block that hinders your vision and , more importantly , exposes your ribs / liver pretty badly.
It's a bit better for kickboxers though.
Mma guys too , I guess. Guys are a bit hesitant to attack the body due to the extra range / knee / elbow / takedown / skill level ?
So I guess it's better than just sticking your arm up .

Just blocking may work against low grade guys.
A good boxer has better accuracy , power . It'll just go through or more likely around you. Top of the head / back of the neck / front of your face / side of your face / temple / through your wrist.....too much to go wrong.
Best defense for the OVH is always .......never be there , slipping / pivoting / positioning / a combination of all three.

I think youre talking of that triangular arm on ear thing some schools teach ?
That's a bad block that hinders your vision and , more importantly , exposes your ribs / liver pretty badly.
It's a bit better for kickboxers though.
Mma guys too , I guess. Guys are a bit hesitant to attack the body due to the extra range / knee / elbow / takedown / skill level ?
So I guess it's better than just sticking your arm up .

yeah I was talking about the use of that block in mma, since the gloves are smaller you need to block it with the forearm almost.. altho ive seen something similar used in boxing.. if you just shell up it can go around even the big gloves...

I guess the best thing to do is control distance and know when your in range for the overhand, a simple step back or a fade will work to get you just outside its range.. then counter with a straight right or jab..

Back