Countering a south paws overhand left?

Another one u could try is slip and sink to your left but throw the right hand (either a straight or a hook / uppercut) to the body at the SAME time .
Come back up with a longer left hook .

Sinister , the thing with Roy Nelson's counter is that the rear uppercut typically twists your body to your left but you're tryin to step to the right .
Now you're fighting against yourself plus cutting the length of your punch.
Now , that's not that big a deal but you're trying to trade that off with your opponent's strongest punch (his left) .

You might not get that angle you want (due to the fighting against yourself thing) plus fatigue etc in which case you're screwed and in an extremely bad position To absorb that punch. Nowhere to go.

Not the most ideal.

Now flip it the other way. Do that but on your lead side . Counter his jab with a strong and LONG uppercut.
You don't lose that much range. You're mostly moving WITH your body and it's his weakest(er) punch in a jab or a hook . You're moving AWAY from his power hand . You have your lead shoulder to kinda defend you (if he turns it into a hook and you're still not angled right) plus his own shoulder / glove will (kinda) block his view of that rising punch.

Sinister , the thing with Roy Nelson's counter is that the rear uppercut typically twists your body to your left but you're tryin to step to the right .
Now you're fighting against yourself plus cutting the length of your punch.
Now , that's not that big a deal but you're trying to trade that off with your opponent's strongest punch (his left) .
Not the most ideal.

Now flip it the other way. Do that but on your lead side . Counter his jab with a strong and LONG uppercut.
You don't lose that much range. You're mostly moving WITH your body and it's his weakest(er) punch in a jab or a hook . You're moving AWAY from his power hand . You have your lead shoulder to kinda defend you (if he turns it into a hook and you're still not angled right) plus his own shoulder / glove will (kinda) block his view of that rising punch.

Well, I think the problem with the first paragraph is it's assumptive. Not everyone's rear hand is the strongest. It just may be a punch they have confidence landing for whatever reason. That may be giving them too much credit for a low-percentage punch to begin with. Also, I only agree that it puts the person in a vulnerable position if they throw the rear uppercut incorrectly to start with.

Well, I think the problem with the first paragraph is it's assumptive. Not everyone's rear hand is the strongest. It just may be a punch they have confidence landing for whatever reason.

you bastard , I knew u were going to home in on the one opening in that arguement.

Yes , not everybody's rear hand is the strongest especially a southpaw's , due to there being a lot of converts.
Of course , I was saying in general terms (while you threw up a hypothetical) and generally speaking , the rear hand of most fighters is the strongest.
However , it is on the fighter to discern these things. You'll feel it where he's more stronger. It isn't something u would break out in the first round anyway.

Interesting story , one time Tony had to fight this hyped prospect , a southpaw. Had a good record for his power etc etc and this was before YouTube and Boxrec (the online version)
So anyways , at the weigh in he noticed him signing off his papers with his right hand .
Well , son of a bitch (he goes) , I figured out he was a converted southpaw and i bet his knockouts come or get set up by his right hook . Just to make sure I stuck my hand out in his face and he grabbed it !
Sure enough , I could feel it !
Well all I did in that fight was keep going into his left (and Tony's got great footwork btw) staying away from his right and just ripping him with left hooks and right hands if he so much as twitched ! Easiest fight I had and even the ref said " It looked likely were having a lot of fun in there , Pep !"
Hah , poor bastards thought because I was from some other country and with no tapes (the promoter (?) refused to send any btw) that I would just get surprised.. ....pfffft !

Interesting example (IMO) of the psychologies and subtle mind tricks of the pro fight game !

Right-o, that's what I'm getting at. And it's also why I mentioned going in either direction for the counter to the Southpaw overhand left. Personally, I always like the inside angle when anyone throws their rear hand at me. Just because in order to correct themselves, most people have to pivot to face me if I take the inside angle, especially AFTER they just missed their rear hand punch. What most fighters (generally speaking) do to correct themselves is pivot but they accomplish the pivot by leaning their head over their lead foot for balance. What I have right then, is their head leaning towards me. Do that with me, and you're gonna get punched.

BTW, the guy I lost to was a Cuban Amateur. Tricky mofo made NONE of these mistakes.

That may be giving them too much credit for a low-percentage punch to begin with. Also, I only agree that it puts the person in a vulnerable position if they throw the rear uppercut incorrectly to start with.

1) What's the "low percentage" move , the guy throwing his rear hand ?

2) rather you should say that it puts him in a vulnerable position if he throws it with anything but perfect timing.

Incidentally , I wonder if Meathead's a real southpaw and if he wasnt , did Fatboy know ?
Might be giving the Burgermeister too much credit though.
It looks like he just likes to throw his right hand and is instincts , so far , have carried him through.

The overhand is a low-percentage move if it's relied upon. I've only seen one or two people even in all the Boxing I've ever watched who throw one that's difficult to detect. Toney was one of them. His over-hand right was almost picture-perfect, but then he imitated Archie Moore a lot, who also had a good one (though Archie would often foot-feint before throwing it to get his man out of position).

About the uppercut, well...timing, maybe. But also form. A well-thrown rear uppercut isn't going to leave you any more or less vulnerable then a well-thrown anything with the rear hand. But I stress the well-thrown aspect. Uppercuts are another thing where I grit my teeth most times when I see people throw them. Even Zab Judah, for as hard as he can whip his, the position it usually leaves him in because he turns too much is garbage. Hence if he doesn't knock you out with it, he's subject to being hit back.

As for Nelson, in that bout he started throwing uppercuts a bit earlier and he I think it was then he realized that the other guy had only two answers to punches that weren't straight. Walk in (try to smother) or walk out (run away). Obviously hitting him when running away would have been a pain in the ass, so he went for the former and it worked. Guy was walking in on him quite a bit, I think that's what he noticed.

I've seen Mike McCallum counter plenty of orthodox jabs with his rear uppercut. I don't see how Roy's counter is any different with a southpaw, except for the obvious fact that Mike did it a hell of a lot prettier than Roy.

When you know how the opponent is going to react, all things are pretty simple.

I've seen Mike McCallum counter plenty of orthodox jabs with his rear uppercut. I don't see how Roy's counter is any different with a southpaw, except for the obvious fact that Mike did it a hell of a lot prettier than Roy.

U don't see the difference between countering an orthodox jab and countering a shot from the rear hand of a southpaw ?

I will read page 3 later just wanted to reprt in. HUGE success tonight. I didn't work everything the way I wanted but still adapted a little and had success.

So basically I was trying to slip outside mostly and hook but thats another weakness of mine. I never seem to get in close enough for hooks which sucks because when I connect them I feel its one og my strongest punches.

So, I was slipping and throwing straights to the body then occasionally as I came up at an angle id throw a hook or straight to the head. After doing this multiple times I slipped and his posture and hands were preparing for a body shot and I threw a cross or hook to the head.

The other thing I did, which im not sure if its good but it worked, was I switched to south paw as I often do and that seemed to throw him off all together. Then when he did throw his left I slipped and threw my own straight.

Anyway there were still many things I noted I need to work on, but overall I was happy. I outstruck him by a huge margin and most importantly to me, it very clearly discouraged him. he became more and more hesitant until he was only on the defensive.

Thanks for the tips everybody.

I'm a tall southpaw, overhand rights account for about half of the punches thrown at me. My go to is to treat it like a straight and slip to the their inside (my left) and either throw a simultaneous jab or my own straight after the slip.

The absolute worst thing to do is to try and lean back like you can sometimes get away with against straights. I've been caught a few times leaning back, right on the end of their punch on my jaw.

I've never slipped to their outside to counter an overhand before, will have to try it this week.

When throwing the read uppercut as a southpaw I've noticed i'm splitting my opponent's guard and hitting them in the nose not the jaw like i would a lead uppercut. Am i throwing it wrong? The range seems very far on this one.

Generally I'm landing it with Jab - rearuppercut, lead hook. Its surprising how it splits guards that my straight wouldn't get through.

I'm a tall southpaw, overhand rights account for about half of the punches thrown at me. My go to is to treat it like a straight and slip to the their inside (my left) and either throw a simultaneous jab or my own straight after the slip.

The absolute worst thing to do is to try and lean back like you can sometimes get away with against straights. I've been caught a few times leaning back, right on the end of their punch on my jaw.

I've never slipped to their outside to counter an overhand before, will have to try it this week.

When throwing the read uppercut as a southpaw I've noticed i'm splitting my opponent's guard and hitting them in the nose not the jaw like i would a lead uppercut. Am i throwing it wrong? The range seems very far on this one.

Generally I'm landing it with Jab - rearuppercut, lead hook. Its surprising how it splits guards that my straight wouldn't get through.
for me I find if I slip to the inside of an overhand the punch follows me. with straights I can slip inside but it serms like the overhand coming down and across it goes right where my head is going. am I missing something here?

I didn't try it tonight but I've been wanting to experiment with using leg kicks as counters. As they step in I move off to whichever side and chop down into their lead leg. Is this advisable? Or would I be better off countering as I was but throwing a leg kick on the end of the combo?

U don't see the difference between countering an orthodox jab and countering a shot from the rear hand of a southpaw ?

They both come from the same side and have a person's chin right behind them. No, I don't see enough of a difference to convince me that they can't both be countered with a slip and uppercut.

for me I find if I slip to the inside of an overhand the punch follows me. with straights I can slip inside but it serms like the overhand coming down and across it goes right where my head is going. am I missing something here?

I didn't try it tonight but I've been wanting to experiment with using leg kicks as counters. As they step in I move off to whichever side and chop down into their lead leg. Is this advisable? Or would I be better off countering as I was but throwing a leg kick on the end of the combo?

As long as you use your legs and hips to slip the punch should sail right over your shoulder, my head moves down and to the left when i slip just from my body movement.

Inside leg kick would work fine, just make sure to move your head off centre when you do it or you are going to end up on someones highlight reel. Bonus tip: for inside leg kicks you dont have to target the thigh, aiming for their calf can majorly fuck with their balance.

So, I was slipping and throwing straights to the body then occasionally as I came up at an angle id throw a hook or straight to the head. After doing this multiple times I slipped and his posture and hands were preparing for a body shot and I threw a cross or hook to the head.

Good man , but I didn't know u could kick.
Lol , in that case , hands up n tight and just kick the inside of his lead leg . U don't have to even do it hard , just swing it out there and let him do the work.
I'm surprised his spamming OVH lefts as a southpaw hasn't been beaten out of him.

24uw8pg.gif

The rear hand hook doesn't exist either, right?

I know this thread is to discuss how to counter it but as a guy that is tall and tries to use my jab to set up everything I am running into the problem all the time when I spar with a southpaw guy that my jab basically gets stopped dead by running into their lead arm as they kinda bring it up just to block.

Is this a common thing or could it potentially be a mechanics problem with me? Like, it makes my jab feel absolutely useless.

Back