counter to the raise feet up mount escape

monsieurpooh

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
How do you counter the mount escape where you're in high mount and your opponent does a back roll motion to raise his feet in the air and put them in your armpits and push you off? I remember seeing it in a Gracie documentary on Youtube where he says "clearly the person on the bottom doesn't know what he's doing" and thinking I'd be safe from such attacks, but it ALWAYS works against me.

i love this escape, but i can only really get it if the person on top of me is very upright and lets me put my hands in the armpits and push them up to get my feet in.

so i guess dont do those things

I found that was happening when my high mount was too far up so that I was sitting really high on their chest. You just need to move up enough so that you're no longer sitting directly above the hips, to minimize the effectiveness of bridging. So I try to sit on the sternum/stomach area now. Also keep your elbows closed so there's no space for the feet to get in

Thanks. I did try to lean forward as far as possible until my forehead is touching the ground, but even then he can still get his feet into my armpits and push me off with a "back roll" type of motion, and this creates a scramble situation which is bad for me. Is there something I could do to avoid his escape when I'm in high mount and leaning completely forward? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Otherwise it seems like high mount is actually an unstable position that is suitable only for immediately attacking (like for an armbar)

Thanks. I did try to lean forward as far as possible until my forehead is touching the ground, but even then he can still get his feet into my armpits and push me off with a "back roll" type of motion, and this creates a scramble situation which is bad for me. Is there something I could do to avoid his escape when I'm in high mount and leaning completely forward? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Otherwise it seems like high mount is actually an unstable position that is suitable only for immediately attacking (like for an armbar)

I have a sparring partner who is extremely flexible and uses this escape a lot. He is out of training right now due to a spinal injury though... go figure.

It is my experience that this is a good escape and that if the bottom man is capable of it, it can really limit your ability to use a high mount. If you keep your elbows in tight so that he can't get both feet in right away, there are foot locks available. I don't know them, but I've seen him get tapped by it.

The other side of this is that people who use this sort of escape aren't usually capable of performing conventional escapes well, because they don't use them. Against the fellow in question, a strong 200 pound man who is flexible enough to do this, I take a low mount to pin his hips and go with one arm under his head, the other extending away so he can't roll me. Never in a million years will he do an elbow/knee escape before I can put him in an americana or arm triangle.

You don't want to pitch forward while in a high mount because it can facilitate him using an upa to turn you over.

Speaking from experience, it is hard to stop, you can only prevent it from happening using a low mount.
You can get sideways making your profile slimmer so it is harder to reach the armpits, but if the guy is flexible and start rolling i feel that eventually i lose balance and the position very soon.

Maybe it is me but i feel this escape is almost unstoppable.

I've seen people mount, and put their feet on the inside of the bottom guys hips / pelvic bones. this kills the foot up armpit push escape.

As a tall guy I love this mount escape.

I've landed it on black belts before and after the first time it worked this was how they shut down future attempts.

1) PRESSURE

Surprised? Use your head. No really use your head in their sternum or posted on the mat. Only be postured in low mount when pinning their hips. When moving your mount up start using your head and when you run out of room your head becomes a post on the mat as you seek to isolate an arm. From here attack arm locks or arm triangles.

2) leglocks

He's trying to put his foot in your armpit or through it to your chest. This is a gift. Your opponent wants you to demonstrate how to use his gift to perform an ankle lock (or heel hook depending on the angle). Oblige him. As said further on you can suck your elbow in so he gets outside your arm when he tosses it up. Then pummel/swim as needed for the lock he gives you.

Last edited:
2) leglocks

He's trying to put his foot in your armpit through it to your chest. This is a gift. Your opponents wants you to demonstrate how to use his gift to perform an ankle lock (or heel hook depending on the angle). Oblige him.

I've seen people mount, and put their feet on the inside of the bottom guys hips / pelvic bones. this kills the foot up armpit push escape.

This works quite well. I would describe it as "putting your hooks in", but on top. But you have to know it's coming.

I would suggest that you do the swim move to untangle your arm as they are trying to secure their legs in your arm pits. Once you are untangled, I would go into low mount (sit on his hip) and control their head

How do you counter the mount escape where you're in high mount and your opponent does a back roll motion to raise his feet in the air and put them in your armpits and push you off? I remember seeing it in a Gracie documentary on Youtube where he says "clearly the person on the bottom doesn't know what he's doing" and thinking I'd be safe from such attacks, but it ALWAYS works against me.

Incidentally, Roger Gracie mentioned this at a recent seminar I was lucky enough to attend. He said the trick is just to keep your elbows tight to your sides in high mount and then it will never work. It's only dangerous if uke manages to get a foot under your arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back