Could Weidman Do Better Than Cormier Did?

This may sound crazy, but I reckon Travis Browne has a better chance of beating Bones than Cain Velasquez does ...

Travis Browne seriously? His gas tank is worse than Roy Nelson's. I would favor Werdum, Cain, and JDS.

Is TS saying weidman is in his prime but DC is not? lol

btw jones would finish weidman

Travis Browne seriously? His gas tank is worse than Roy Nelson's. I would favor Werdum, Cain, and JDS.

I reckon JDS would have a better chance than Cain, mainly cus of his superior height and reach. Also, his hand speed. I don't think Cain would get Bones to the ground.

The biggest reason why Cormier couldn't get Bones down is because of Bones's LEVERAGE, his height and reach isn't just effective for his stand up, but also very good for allowing him to stay on his feet.

It's like trying to take down a tri-pod. He just has so much LEVERAGE and good enough wrestling to know what to do that for a short guy trying to take him down, it's almost impossible. The law of the LEVER.

Gus took Bones down via element of surprise, but mainly kept the fight standing. Gus has good stand up, but if (for arguements sake) Gus was the same height as Dan Henderson ... Bones would have f**ked his shit up real quick, regardless of stand up ability. Real talk.

Long levers present far more disadvantages in grappling.

Bones is highlighting tremendous skill to overcome this.

I think Weidman poses a bigger threat if he can take an equal punch to Cormier. My bet would be that Weidman wouldn't gas as bad as Cormier did.

What Cormier showed to all wrestlers is that you are not out wrestling Jones. Your best bet is to do what Rampage did to Liddell in their first fight. Basically out strike the striker. It's not going to be pretty, but if you can, it will open up more avenues for you to succeed. 2 rounds in and Cormier was even. He had roughed Jon up a little, survived some strikes, and made things ugly. Big problem was that he gassed. Body damaged, failed takedowns, and Jon leaning on him took their toll.

Weidman would know after watching that fight that takedowns are a dead end until Jones is tired.

Long levers present far more disadvantages in grappling.

Bones is highlighting tremendous skill to overcome this.

I disagree. I've grappled for a while & I find it a lot harder going against someone who is taller & has longer limbs (in general, they also posses more strength).

Weidman fades in the later rounds while jones gets better in the later rounds.

Also look at their fight with machida.

Jones by 5th round tko.

I believe Weidman could do better, especially on the feet.. not sure if he would be able to get up as easy as DC did after being taken down tho

Name one middleweight Jones hasn't finished.

Weidman would suffer his first loss and finish of his career.

Weidman would give him the kiss of death and then break him.

Why is this even a question? Jones should be fighter heavyweights not middleweights.

I could only see Weidman maybe getting lucky due to his awkward striking style otherwise I think he would get owned. I guess it's possible he could check a kick and break Jones' leg too but also unlikely.

I disagree. I've grappled for a while & I find it a lot harder going against someone who is taller & has longer limbs (in general, they also posses more strength).

I find it the opposite. I'm a very similar build to Jones albeit 6'2 and 185lb and I find it much more difficult to grapple the stocky 5'10 dudes with a low centre of gravity.

In tight scenarios it's much easier for them to manoeuvre into the idea position as their levers don't require as much space. They can generate more force due to the shorter lever as well. It's a big reason nearly every freestyle heavyweight wrestler at the olympics is under six foot. Greco dudes are much taller due to the different rule set limiting the detrimental effects of long levers.

When it comes to boxing the length is a big bonus [If you know how to use it].The one exception is that it's much harder to punch down. It's cuts out a lot of power. Then if you deepen your stance your legs get tired quicker & your mobility suffers. So there are disadvantages as well.

With every physical attribute however there are strengths and weaknesses. Jon was was able to use his physical attributes when it counted & he had the skill to overcome any problems when he was in a position that put him at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Weidman has power but Jon Jones has shown to have one of the best chins in MMA. He's been in there with a bunch of heavy hitters, many who have more power than Weidman. Weidman has some BJJ but what good is it if he can't get Jon down. For some perspective, Cormier was having trouble getting Jon down and Anderson was able to stuff Weidman's takedowns so there is no doubt in my mind Jon could and would do the same.

Back