Could Weidman Do Better Than Cormier Did?

Ashi Barai

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I mean Cormier kept the fight a little bit close and won a round or two,
but overall he struggled with jones. You think Weidman who is closer
in height in reach to jones, and also in his prime, would fare any better?

I mean Cormier kept the fight a little bit close and won a round or two,
but overall he struggled with jones. You think Weidman who is closer
in height in reach to jones, and also in his prime, would fare any better?

The reach doesn't matter. Weidman is effective on the feet due to his TD threat. Jon is a superior striker with a superior takedown threat. Weidman offers no weapons.

Could he do better? I doubt it. He's an aggressive fighter. He won't hesitate to a decision loss like Rashad. He will attack like Cormier but he won't last 5 rounds. I would pick Bones via TKO [GnP].

He's younger and has better reach

I think tall, rangy heavyweight fighters like Mitrione, Travis Browne, Stefan Struve, Werdum would cause Bones all kinds of trouble.

Short, stocky fighters are easy pickings for Bones. Look at Shogun, Rashad, Cormier ... all got f**ked as they were too short to take Bones down, Bones's long body gives him a LOT of leverage to avoid takedowns.

The reach doesn't matter. Weidman is effective on the feet due to his TD threat. Jon is a superior striker with a superior takedown threat. Weidman offers no weapons.

Could he do better? I doubt it. He's an aggressive fighter. He won't hesitate to a decision loss like Rashad. He will attack like Cormier but he won't last 5 rounds. I would pick Bones via TKO [GnP].

Spot on. Weidman loses to Cormier too.

Weidman would beat Jones. It would be more mental than physical.

I think tall, rangy heavyweight fighters like Mitrione, Travis Browne, Stefan Struve, Werdum would cause Bones all kinds of trouble.

Short, stocky fighters are easy pickings for Bones. Look at Shogun, Rashad, Cormier ... all got f**ked as they were too short to take Bones down, Bones's long body gives him a LOT of leverage to avoid takedowns.

What??? Since when is weidman either short or stocky? Sometimes I wonder how many of you idiots even know who you're talking about.

This may sound crazy, but I reckon Travis Browne has a better chance of beating Bones than Cain Velasquez does ...

What??? Since when is weidman either short or stocky? Sometimes I wonder how many of you idiots even know who you're talking about.

he is certainly shortER and StockiER than Bones

"Reach doesn't matter"...tell that to cormier. What a coincidence also that a guy who is as big as jones has also come closest to defeating him.

"Reach doesn't matter"...tell that to cormier. What a coincidence also that a guy who is as big as jones has also come closest to defeating him.

seriously, if you are under 6"3 and have reach under 78" ... Jones becomes an almost impossible feat .

Gus has come the closest to beating Bones mainly cuz Bones's height and reach is negated. Mitrione, Browne, Werdum, Struve ALL would give Bones a massive headache .... Someone like Dan Henderson would LITERALLY have no chance against Bones.

The reach wasn't Cormier's problem. He spent a strong portion of the fight in close [At a range where a big reach is actually a disadvantage]. Cormier also stated after the fight that the reach wasn't really an issue.

I can guarantee their entire camp would have been geared towards getting past the reach. When he managed to do so and lost on the inside his confidence would have been shattered.

There is no way his camp would have expected to lose at close range.

If he was to fight Bones again, his camp would have to completely re-evaluate his strengths. They wouldn't bull rush forward eating strikes to get inside [Because once inside he isn't at an advantage]. He would need to work on angles, make Jon miss and then look for the counter. His movement lost him that fight. Not Jon's reach.

seriously, if you are under 6"3 and have reach under 78" ... Jones becomes an almost impossible feat .

Gus has come the closest to beating Bones mainly cuz Bones's height and reach is negated. Mitrione, Browne, Werdum, Struve ALL would give Bones a massive headache .... Someone like Dan Henderson would LITERALLY have no chance against Bones.

Gus only had a 76" reach until the Bones fight when it miraculously became 80".

Saying Gustafsson was competitive due to his reach is doing him a huge disservice. He was competitive due to the angles he cut & his dynamic movement. Bones was never in a good position to shoot. He jabbed & he missed. When you have an 84" reach & you miss you are in trouble. It's harder to recoil. The movement displayed by Alex was the reason he was lighting him up all night.

This is also the reason why, Jon 'working his wrestling' won't make the next fight closer. If he doesn't improve his movement Alex will cruise to a UD.

The reach wasn't Cormier's problem. He spent a strong portion of the fight in close [At a range where a big reach is actually a disadvantage]. Cormier also stated after the fight that the reach wasn't really an issue.

I can guarantee their entire camp would have been geared towards getting past the reach. When he managed to do so and lost on the inside his confidence would have been shattered.

There is no way his camp would have expected to lose at close range.

If he was to fight Bones again, his camp would have to completely re-evaluate his strengths. They wouldn't bull rush forward eating strikes to get inside [Because once inside he isn't at an advantage]. He would need to work on angles, make Jon miss and then look for the counter. His movement lost him that fight. Not Jon's reach.

If you watched the fight, you'd see many times where jones was taggine dc from the outside with jabs and kicks while cormier was well out of his own striking range, so don't give me that shit. Also, it helped jones tremendously in the clinch, as he got to lean down into cormier, and it was much easier for him to control cormier's thighs/hips with his hands, while keeping his own legs far back out of dc's legs so that he couldn't threaten with a td.

Weidman wont even be able to handle Belfort... Much less Jones

Gus only had a 76" reach until the Bones fight when it miraculously became 80".

Saying Gustafsson was competitive due to his reach is doing him a huge disservice. He was competitive due to the angles he cut & his dynamic movement. Bones was never in a good position to shoot. He jabbed & he missed. When you have an 84" reach & you miss you are in trouble. It's harder to recoil. The movement displayed by Alex was the reason he was lighting him up all night.

This is also the reason why, Jon 'working his wrestling' won't make the next fight closer. If he doesn't improve his movement Alex will cruise to a UD.

The biggest reason why Cormier couldn't get Bones down is because of Bones's LEVERAGE, his height and reach isn't just effective for his stand up, but also very good for allowing him to stay on his feet.

It's like trying to take down a tri-pod. He just has so much LEVERAGE and good enough wrestling to know what to do that for a short guy trying to take him down, it's almost impossible. The law of the LEVER.

Gus took Bones down via element of surprise, but mainly kept the fight standing. Gus has good stand up, but if (for arguements sake) Gus was the same height as Dan Henderson ... Bones would have f**ked his shit up real quick, regardless of stand up ability. Real talk.

If you watched the fight, you'd see many times where jones was taggine dc from the outside with jabs and kicks while cormier was well out of his own striking range, so don't give me that shit. Also, it helped jones tremendously in the clinch, as he got to lean down into cormier, and it was much easier for him to control cormier's thighs/hips with his hands, while keeping his own legs far back out of dc's legs so that he couldn't threaten with a td.

Of course he 'tagged' him many times. It's an MMA fight. You get hit. You know what get's you hit more? Moving straight forward to get inside.

Once on the inside a big reach is a disadvantage. You levers are longer. They possess less power. Like I said - Reach didn't beat Cormier. His lack of movement and Jon's superior skill won that fight.

Back