Could wall-and-stall work against Jon Jones?

TRT Champion

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Do you think it would be a good game plan if Daniel Cormier decides to Wall-n-Stall Jon Jones, like he did Frank Mir?
I think DC has a fair chance to decision Jones, but only if he does not allow him to use his range. So Wall-n-Stall may be the way Cormier achieves this.

JJ is great with knees and elbow attacks, he'd cut DC up.

78896791-375x413-1398716390.jpg

I'm not sure how well DC will handle being cut open like that.

Yes I think it can work on anybody, but DC has to throw in tds into the mix. If DC cant take him down he does not win this fight

Why would DC wall and stall when he can ground and pound?

If he can really wall and stall he could take Jones down.

Jones is a lot more dangerous in the clinch than on his back.

Also, I think Cormier has less of a wrestling advantage up against the cage (where it's going to be more Greco-Roman stuff) as opposed to a takedown or scramble.

It would be more likely to be a wall and brawl.
Jones got those knees though and the height to make that a dangerous situation for Daniel.

Wall and stall just gonna bring more creativity from Bones. Thats not what you want.

Because wall and stall is what he did against Mir and I think he may use it against Jones as well.

Cormier obviously didn't want Mir on the ground. Why the hell would he use the same strategy against Jones when he'll be able to take Jones down and be in a much more dominant position?

Why would DC wall and stall when he can ground and pound?

His dirty boxing has always been a greater strength for Cormier than his gnp.

His gnp is solid but not exceptional and he prefers to ride opponents rather than focus on top control usually.

JJ is great with knees and elbow attacks, he'd cut DC up.

78896791-375x413-1398716390.jpg

I'm not sure how well DC will handle being cut open like that.

The problem with this logic is that Jones is the one pushing Glover against the fence with his leverage at it's best use by leaning on him. Can he be as effective with his arsenal if he's the one with his back against the cage in a more vertical posture with less of a base to put power behind his elbows and knees?

Wall n stall
Lay n pray
Poke n hope
Ground n pound

Many strategies will be deployed tomorrow Nite.

I think the only thing that matters in this fight is if DC get close the distance and get in the pocket with jones. If he can, he wins and possibly finishes jon. If jon can keep him on the outside, jones takesa decisio imo.

That would be the worst possible outcome for this fight.

Well, DC needs a tactic where he shuts the champ down. You can't just stand and bang with JJ.
I suspect wall-and-stall could play a significant role in DC's game plan. Don't see DC outstriking or outgrappling JJ on the ground.

Back