Could Velasquez Become Heavyweight GOAT?

There will never be as many great, established heavyweights fighting at the same time now that the ufc has hardcore monopolized mma. Whos he going to beat? Jr. Then who? Werdum, then who? Hes not going to have great hws coming over to fight him because where are they coming from. They need to rise through the rankings in the ufc and even reem couldnt do that

That's a good point. However, if he can go on a streak of about 10 fights from here he's probably in GOAT territory. I'm betting against it for obvious reasons.

In a lot of peoples eyes there will never be another Fedor. Pride is gone and they had all the best fighters and nobody can ever have a group of HW's that great. Even though UFC has all the great current great HW's it just can't match up to Pride.

UFC needs to add a laser show, fireworks, a screaming lady and Dana needs to start wearing a diaper and banging a drum and then it still may not be enough. Some peoples memories of the great Pride ended with it and there will never be a greater memory.

I am not sure a UFC HW will ever go undefeated that long because the UFC doesn't give gimme fights like they had in Pride. You could have a couple hard fights and then get a couple easier fights. Unles there is an injury and a quick replacement is needed there are no easy fights in the UFC.

Fedor 10 years undefeated. He is the greatest hw ever.

Cain with a win tonight will be the best UFC heavy ever as of now.

Posts like this almost, ALMOST, make me wish the ufc had guys like fugita, ogawa, and choi hung man for Cain to fight in between smacking around the guys Fedor himself got the most credit for beating, and the guys who beat fedor down.

Oh well. If cain can pull off a few more years like he has had so far, putting him at 4-6 years even, Id put that up against Fedor's 10 any day. It'll be close, but these days I just don't see Cain taking on easier fights like fedor did in pride or other orgs sometimes.

Jesus, you ever watch that Choi fight? It looks like he wants to ask Fedor for an autograph rather then fight him.

Last edited:
Of course it's possible. It's also possible that Pettis could become the undisputed GOAT in the sport. But it's a long road.

If Cain beats JDS again, beats Barnett and Werdum. Goes on a long streak of maybe 7-8 more top wins in a row. All title fights. Then he will surpass Fedor. As we all know Fedor has some low level wins in his 30 fight streak, so Cain doesnt need to win as many but still needs a long streak to surpass him.

JDS has the best chance if he wins tonight.

Cain 2x
Werdum
Mir
Carwin
Hunt
Nelson
Gonzaga
Struve

Smoked Lesnar no problem
Beat the piss out of JDS
Stopped Noguiera easily (even Couture and Fedor couldn't do that)
Stopped Big Foot Silva Twice EASILY (Who dominated and stopped Fedor)
Dominated Kongo

If he dominates JDS again, and goes on a long streak with Cormier and Barnett, could it happen? :eek:

Comparing prime Big Nog to todays Big Nog is exopsing yourself to ridicule knowledgewise and displays only your ability to look up fightfinder.

What was so deep about Pride's Heavyweight division? Randleman was a pat of it for goodness sakes

Prime Nogueira, Filipovic, Werdum, and Barnett made it a lot more interesting than the current division which is essentially Velasquez and Dos Santos and then everybody else.

Prime Nogueira, Filipovic, Werdum, and Barnett made it a lot more interesting than the current division which is essentially Velasquez and Dos Santos and then everybody else.

and half of those guys you mentioned fedor either didn't fight or lost to.

Comparing prime Big Nog to todays Big Nog is exopsing yourself to ridicule knowledgewise and displays only your ability to look up fightfinder.

I bet you post in threads like the one I saw the other day about "old HW divison" vs. new and talk about how Nog is still great and still ranked, but here toss that post out. If I had time to burn Id go through that thread. ha

Smoked Lesnar no problem
Beat the piss out of JDS
Stopped Noguiera easily (even Couture and Fedor couldn't do that)
Stopped Big Foot Silva Twice EASILY (Who dominated and stopped Fedor)
Dominated Kongo

If he dominates JDS again, and goes on a long streak with Cormier and Barnett, could it happen? :eek:

Could he? Sure

But what does that mean?

When do you ever have a HW champion where you can't say "if he goes on this long streak, he'd be the best of all time"?

What if Werdum ends up facing JDS and he dominates him, then goes on a long streak that includes Cain and Overeem?

Last edited:

Why didn't fedor fight half those guys back then, but found time to fight fajitas and ogawas????

And you really think werdum was in his prime then and not now in the ufc? C'mon.

And Fedor got all this cred for fighting "Monsters" like Zulu and choi, but look at what happened the moment he fought a big guy like big foot who knew how to use that size. The way he kept fedor low on the ground, and not letting him slip down so he was too high on his back was beautiful to watch.

Big foot can fucking grapple man. Those four, along with cormier, a guy who won a grand prix set up for fedor to win, for the current top 5, would rival any top 5 from pride.

Last edited:
I bet you post in threads like the one I saw the other day about "old HW divison" vs. new and talk about how Nog is still great and still ranked, but here toss that post out. If I had time to burn Id go through that thread. ha

You arent even capable of correctly naming Fedors opponents, so go back in line and climb up the knowledge ladder before anything else.

There will never be as many great, established heavyweights fighting at the same time now that the ufc has hardcore monopolized mma. Whos he going to beat? Jr. Then who? Werdum, then who? Hes not going to have great hws coming over to fight him because where are they coming from. They need to rise through the rankings in the ufc and even reem couldnt do that

So what you're basically saying is there will be less contenders because it's harder to become one? You have to rise through the rankings to fight for the belt, as it should be. Even Reem couldn't do that you say. You mean Reem is a great fighter, but couldn't rise to the top because the division is to strong?

Back