Could the secret to out-striking McGregor be simply walking him down?

You didn't just bring up Marcus Brimage as an example did you?

It's the only person from my memory who attempted to smother a fresh Conor's counters.

Sure Brimage isn't a championship level fighter but I'm not sure Conor was either at that time, but either way he dealt with a competent striker in Brimage fairly easily.

There was one take away was that he landed on Conor very cleanly several times because of Conor's karate stance and his chin nice and high that when he got pressured it was there on a platter similar to Mendes vs Conor. Though Mendes wasn't smothering Conor's strikes he was just blitzing.

Ofcourse, I'm not sure why I'm typing all of this since you seem like the type of fan to use a fighters accomplishments or lack of as to why he will win or lose against another particular fighters accomplishments, or lack of instead of comparing skills and strategy.

I agree that an opponent against Conor has to try something different than standing at range and trying to out-cardio him. So while the alternatives aren't guaranteed, I do think that just going for gonzo, close range, dirty boxing pressure is worth a try for the right guy.

Floyd started doing that in Round 4 mate lol.

And no, a great plan would have been for Rumble to keep distance and try to land when Cormier advances, how you can compare this to wrestling DC is bizarre. What you're essentially saying is that there is no way or strategy to beat Conor on the feet. If he's not gassed, he's unbeatable on the feet and your only chance is a lucky punch or taking him down - in my opinion, that is bollocks. Nobody is unbeatable, Silva and St. Pierre proved that to you. Who would ever think that Chael Sonnen could stagger Anderson fucking Silva with a punch? Who ever thought that Hendricks would outbox GSP? There are ways of getting around people's weapons, Conor isn't this guy who has a force field around him where if you close distance you're instant KO'd, that idea is silly.
Yeah, started doing it with big gloves nearly after a full MMA fight and still lost rounds 4,5 and 8 on media score cards.......started doing it after nearly 40 years of nothing but boxing, 49 pro fights, countless ammy bouts, tens of thousands of hours in the gym sparring developing muscle memory and the most advanced defensive system boxing has ever seen. No MMA fighter could do what Floyd did, and if they could, they would not be making peanuts. And even if that fight was MMA standup, Floyd would have gotten rekt from the first back take, not to mention what kicks would have done.

The comparison to Rumble is that he played right in to
Cormier' strengths, much like Aldo charged Conor and played in to this - he wanted to pressure the pressure striker, and forgot he was a counter striker too. Conor needs to be gassed for that style to work, and in a shorter MMA fight, the margin for error is also much smaller with the small gloves.

I think you may be right that Khabib will try to employ a pressure game plan with a shell defense, as that is how he has fought everyone, but charging an expert counter sniper like Conor is different than charging Barboza. It's much easier to box off the rear foot than to throw wheel kicks (i.e. Stipe Werdum or Conor Buchinger).

It sounds like you are saying that by closing distance that it will make it easier, but I think there are many factors before Conor is gassed enough to be able to close the distance safely. If Khabib fought round 9 Conor, sure, it would be easier, but he has to fight a totally fresh Conor first and not get hurt, and that is something that no fighter has really been able to solve while lacking elite boxing and tremendous durability and cardio. It's possible Khabib has a legend chin but I feel if he fights like he did against Johnson, Barboza or Al, it will be cracked badly and big league. And like the Sonnen Chael fight you alluded to, it's possible that the threat of wrestling opens up all other kinds of options, so it's just hard to say until we see.....fun to talk still :)

Yeah, started doing it with big gloves nearly after a full MMA fight and still lost rounds 4,5 and 8 on media score cards.......started doing it after nearly 40 years of nothing but boxing, 49 pro fights, countless ammy bouts, tens of thousands of hours in the gym sparring developing muscle memory and the most advanced defensive system boxing has ever seen. No MMA fighter could do what Floyd did, and if they could, they would not be making peanuts. And even if that fight was MMA standup, Floyd would have gotten rekt from the first back take, not to mention what kicks would have done.

The comparison to Rumble is that he played right in to
Cormier' strengths, much like Aldo charged Conor and played in to this - he wanted to pressure the pressure striker, and forgot he was a counter striker too. Conor needs to be gassed for that style to work, and in a shorter MMA fight, the margin for error is also much smaller with the small gloves.

I think you may be right that Khabib will try to employ a pressure game plan with a shell defense, as that is how he has fought everyone, but charging an expert counter sniper like Conor is different than charging Barboza. It's much easier to box off the rear foot than to throw wheel kicks (i.e. Stipe Werdum or Conor Buchinger).

It sounds like you are saying that by closing distance that it will make it easier, but I think there are many factors before Conor is gassed enough to be able to close the distance safely. If Khabib fought round 9 Conor, sure, it would be easier, but he has to fight a totally fresh Conor first and not get hurt, and that is something that no fighter has really been able to solve while lacking elite boxing and tremendous durability and cardio. It's possible Khabib has a legend chin but I feel if he fights like he did against Johnson, Barboza or Al, it will be cracked. And like the Sonnen Chael fight you alluded to, it's possible that the threat of wrestling opens up all other kinds of options, so it's just hard to say until we see.
3 professional judges had him 8-1 down.

I agree that an opponent against Conor has to try something different than standing at range and trying to out-cardio him. So while the alternatives aren't guaranteed, I do think that just going for gonzo, close range, dirty boxing pressure is worth a try for the right guy.
getting in to dirty boxing range is the hundred million dollar question tho, right? Eddie thought it would be easy, that all he had to do was box in to range and then he could clinch, dirty box and get the damn deal done. Same with Buchinger.p

UnsightlyGrandioseGalapagosmockingbird-size_restricted.gif

Floyd needed 27 minutes before he could start doing that with any real success, which is longer than an MMA championship fight.
Floyd didnt need 27 min. As much hate is the man gets,(alot of it deserved) he let Conor hang around for the fans. Let's be honest, he was in more danger tripping and falling during his entrance to the stage than at any point in the fight.

Last edited:
The more I read threads about "the key to beating Conor" and rewatch his fights like Holloway, the more I become convinced khabib is fucked.

Using a jab and moving to your left. Not planting and squaring up.

Also, it baffles me how know one uses right round houses to the left side of his body. He'll have to block them or risk being hurt or ko'd by a hard kick.

What TS is saying has been discussed for generations in the boxing community

Boxer vs brawler vs "swarmer"

He is referring to a "swarmer"

Here is a decent article about these styles with video examples:

https://evolve-vacation.com/blog/boxing-styles-explained/

The principle is that by swarming the technical range depending "boxer" / "long range fighter" that they will not have the time or space needed to execute their technique.

And it is an excellent strategy. Provided you have the tools to back it up. You need good defense, endurance, crazy cardio to keep constant moving forward, solid chin too, you must keep the pressure on which requires you to work very hard - in the hopes that you catch your opponent or tire him out before you tire yourself out.

I'm not sure I can think of a LW MMA fighter who comes to mind who is well equipped for this style against Conor though. (In a striking capacity at least)
RDA fights this way very well, he comes forward and applies pressure with the best of them, but I doubt he returns to 155.
Maybe Robbie Lawler, (at 170) but he is bigger and now past his prime and no longer a title holder so the fight won't happen.

Khabib could combine swarming with takedowns to beat Conor FOR SURE, that absolutely should be his strategy since he will be target practice for Conor while at range. But he better be able to keep it up and better hope he doesn't get caught on the way in. Boxers employing this style tend to have WAY better defense, better head movement, chin tucked low... (and bigger gloves!),
You conveyed my thoughts perfectly :)

People talking how Conor has amazing footwork. Not true

He looked very flatfooted against both Nate and Eddie. His counter are fast but if you walk through them he is there to be cornered. He had to literally turn his back away and run from Nate because all Nate did was push him to the fence. Eddie was just running with his chin up in the air.

If Khabib pressures Conor in a smart way he can definitely Conor him. People act like Conor has Dominick Cruz or TJ footwork but it's simply not true. Go watch his fights.
Thank you!

I cant believe what im reading. Floyd is literally the best PROFESSIONAL BOXER of the last 3 decades. Nate spars with Andre Ward and cant be KO'd by punches. Who else would you like to implement this plan? Some Muay Thai brawling bum like Paulo Costa?

A good Muay Thai fighter with a high guard would kill McGregor.

Back