Could someone break down Penn's standup?

He uses basic boxing techniques very well. Uses his jab a lot and slips pretty well. If you watched his rematch with Pulver and his fight with Sherk, I think he used his footwork well enough to stay in range. He moves back just enough for his opponents to miss instead of jumping 5 feet back after a combination like a lot of MMA fighters do. In contrast to his juijitsu, there's nothing fancy about his striking; its all basic boxing techniques.
Penn also has natural advantages as well. He's a talented athlete and has a solid chin.

exactly

nothing exceptional basic offense, footwork, hand positioning, setups; what he did to gsp, textbook boxing efficient simple footwork and a stiff commited jab and it ate gsp's ass up, an its the same case w/sherk.

the thing he does that i find exceptional about his boxing in mma, is his ability to put it all together; he uses the punches, the footwork, the def and the offense. Most guys can do at least one, fairly well; but can't put them all together, bj does that.

also as u mentioned his attributes are exceptional, his length, power, chin and durability is exceptional; he can stand in the pocket and commit to shots even against hard, athletic, skillful strikers because he can take it, whereas most cant'

if you are in a point karate match. Fact is that BJ was assraping GSP and GSP had to resort to taking him down and holding on for dear life... And then went to the hospital.

well put.. LOL!

Overall gsp won the standup in that fight. he landed more strikes.

so that's why GSP dry-humped him into the fence?

if i was GSP and getting handled in the strikes, I would have done the same to get the win.

who went to the hospital?

penn uses the jab better than 99% of mma fighters
he knows how to stay loose, position, time it, counter it..
sets up everything else

two other guys who have similar standup are hirota and nakakura in shooto
unless an opp is good at thaiboxing, they are going to have problems landing anything on these guys

guys like sherk haven't boxed long enough to understand it
not even close to the same level

Back