Could Rousimar Palhares be the best MMA fighter blackballed?

I hope he is. He is one dirty mo fo

We had a whole thread on this the other day and it's only laughable to think Shields was 'dominating' that fight at all.

I don't know how else to describe getting repeated take-downs, passing to side control multiple times and getting full mount. Palhares looked helpless and resorted to raking Jake's eyes.

Because Mazzagatti has no control over the fights he officiates, we saw (a record?) three warnings for eye gouging. THREE warnings!

The third time he stopped the action with Jake in full mount. Stop and think about that. When was the last time you saw an official stop the action when one guy secures full mount on his opponent?

They reset them and Jake immediately gets bucked off. Absurd. He goes back to his corner after two rounds he clearly won on the score cards with his eyes completely torn up.

WSOF has stripped Palhares of the belt and NSAC suspended him pending a disciplinary hearing next month.

I don't usually like to work over someone's concept but this is a truly misguided post.

fitch had been submitted exactly one time in 30 fights before burkman did it - just because burkman managed a submission doesn't make fitch bad with submission defense. that's like saying mark hunt has a glass chin because werdum knocked him out. additionally fitch has a submission win of his own over burkman.

Tapping Jon Fitch in 2014 is not the big deal you make it out to be. I was giving you context. Fitch got cut from the big show because he went to a gritty split decision with a shot BJ Penn who dominated him on the ground for two rounds and summarily took his back. He was one-punch KO'd by Hendricks. Josh F@#$ Burkman put him to sleep. Put his submission loss to Palhares (where Fitch is now fighting and losing in a third tier org) in context.

and shields wasn't close to 'dominating' palhares at any point - he was losing the standup the entire time and managed to lay on top of him doing nothing for a few minutes in the 2nd round.

Shields demonstrably won the first two rounds and was able to secure takedowns essentially at will. He was in no danger and quite literally dominating Palhares on the ground. Because Palhares is a mental patient or truly deficient mentally, he resorted to raking Jake's eyes.

I don't know if its a record, but Mazzagatti gave Palhares THREE separate warnings for gouging. The third time he literally stopped the action with Jake in full mount. If you don't recognize how batsh@%t crazy it is to interrupt a fight with one guy in full mount, you need more experience in MMA. It was absurd.

Somehow (read: Mazzaggati, P4P worst official) Palhares got away with repeated fouls and Jake walked back to his corner with his eyes completely torn up.

because guys like maia or werdum don't manage to submit every single opponent, does that make their BJJ weak? who cares if guys like marquardt or hendo avoided it, that doesn't invalidate his JJ.

This has absolutely no bearing on what we are discussing. My point is that Palhares generally does not beat elite level peers, or even some second level peers. Alan Belcher, Marquardt and Hendo were not the best when they fought him. Lombard walked through him like he was fighting a 5th grader.

The best guys mop the floor with the guys who mopped the floor with Palhares. He's tapped mostly second and third tier guys, Mike Pierce being one of his best wins arguably.

he just submitted jake shields, i don't think you understand what a big deal that is. shields had never been submitted in 40 professional fights and over 15 years of pro competition, and is considered one of the greatest grapplers in mma history.

He just submitted Shields after spending two rounds on bottom, helpless and repeatedly fouling him by tearing at his eyes. How on earth do you credit that as a straight up win?

i can't stand palhares personally and i'm glad he was suspended (again), but to deny that he's an elite JJ fighter at this point is just silly.

He's a one-trick poney who willingly (or of honest mental deficit) repeatedly fouls. Almost every single time he's fought a marquee opponent, he lost, sometimes badly.

I don't know how else to describe getting repeated take-downs, passing to side control multiple times and getting full mount. Palhares looked helpless and resorted to raking Jake's eyes.

Palhares was constantly landing elbows and punches on Shields from his back, even attempted a few subs. All Shields did was hug Palhares. Whether Palhares poked his eyes or not is a moot point because still, Shields did nothing on top outside getting to mount, thats not being dominant in my book.

Either way downplaying a fighters big wins because you don't like him really is pretty lame.

I find it funny the ringleader for Jones haters is a mod

So criticizing a multiple car crasher under the influence, hit and run guy makes one a 'hater' huh. Lol

yeah wouldn't mind i rather see him fight maia cause lawler slaughter him
006643-rousimar-palhares.jpg

makes me lol

Brilliant at BJJ but a complete and utter fcking moron at MMA. Ban him for life and never let him compete in any MMA event as he has zero respect for the careers of his opponents. To me he is a dense idiot and a selfish prick of an MMA fighter.

didnt bustamante go on record saying pal pull this shit in training as well

guy's way too slow to be in a sport where lives on the line

i mean he probably has serious learning disabilities to do these things over and over again his entire career.

Tapping Jon Fitch in 2014 is not the big deal you make it out to be. I was giving you context. Fitch got cut from the big show because he went to a gritty split decision with a shot BJ Penn who dominated him on the ground for two rounds and summarily took his back. He was one-punch KO'd by Hendricks. Josh F@#$ Burkman put him to sleep. Put his submission loss to Palhares (where Fitch is now fighting and losing in a third tier org) in context.

losing in a second tier (corrected for you) org to... burkman and palhares, who are both ufc caliber material. there's your context.

fitch may be diminished from his prime but he was considered a terrible cut when he was released from the ufc (which was only 2 years ago), and he is still considered a top notch grappler who is very hard to submit.

you're trying to crap all over fitch by talking about losses to ufc title contenders like hendricks and maia and that doesn't work. so burkman wasn't a bright spot in his career, but everyone loses to guys they shouldn't now and then.

Shields demonstrably won the first two rounds and was able to secure takedowns essentially at will. He was in no danger and quite literally dominating Palhares on the ground. Because Palhares is a mental patient or truly deficient mentally, he resorted to raking Jake's eyes.

I don't know if its a record, but Mazzagatti gave Palhares THREE separate warnings for gouging. The third time he literally stopped the action with Jake in full mount. If you don't recognize how batsh@%t crazy it is to interrupt a fight with one guy in full mount, you need more experience in MMA. It was absurd.

Somehow (read: Mazzaggati, P4P worst official) Palhares got away with repeated fouls and Jake walked back to his corner with his eyes completely torn up.

shields did not look dominant at any point in that fight. he did not look good at all striking, and was able to do nothing except fight off submissions when he was in top control (there was no "dominating" going on whatsoever; it wasn't even LnP, he was actually fighting to survive a lot of the time). and the eye gouging probably had an impact on the fight in the 3rd but that's speculative.

i'm not a fan of the man and the shields fight was dirty as hell, but it's pretty hard to completely discredit submission wins against grapplers the caliber of fitch and shields.

Brilliant at BJJ but a complete and utter fcking moron at MMA. Ban him for life and never let him compete in any MMA event as he has zero respect for the careers of his opponents. To me he is a dense idiot and a selfish prick of an MMA fighter.

this ^^^

palhares is a total piece of shit as a human being... would be poetic justice for his next opponent to get him in a leg lock and crank the submission way after the bell and totally tear his knee up so bad that he has to retire.... would serve him right.

I got mixed feels. He's a talented dirty fighter who doesn't understand the spirit of competition.

I don't think he deserves to fight professionally anymore, but I do not want to rid myself of the great pleasure I would get when a complete, talented MMA fighter stands over a mentally and physically broken Paul Harris and doesn't stop slamming fists into his face.

Palhares is dirty & a cheater.

He needs to be banned from mma.

I got mixed feels. He's a talented dirty fighter who doesn't understand the spirit of competition.

I don't think he deserves to fight professionally anymore, but I do not want to rid myself of the great pleasure I would get when a complete, talented MMA fighter stands over a mentally and physically broken Paul Harris and doesn't stop slamming fists into his face.

You are just a sad person

Back