Could Ronda have won with better corner advice following round 1?

BLACKWOLF

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
As the OP says, could a Jackson-esque cornerman have delivered advice that could have changed the result?

Edmund's idiotic 'you're doing great champ' just had Ronda doing more of the same.

Lets look at it objectively;

- Ronda would have trained cardio for at least 3 rounds, the fact that she was tired was due to bull charging and getting lit up, the tank wasn't empty and she could have recovered fine had she taken her foot off the gas for the first half of round 2 (that's under the condition that Holly wasn't able to pour it on as much as she was in Round 1).

- Ronda had mild success in the clinch, her strength and raw power has shown its effectiveness in other fights, turn the fight dirty in the clinch with dirty boxing and heavy knees.

- Ronda at one point had the back, this is something that keeps getting overlooked. Really had she not jumped on the armbar and just laid on the heavy GnP she might have been able to end the fight there.

So with that in mind and how Ronda was at the end of round one, could a more competent coach have given advice that would have changed the result?

With something along the lines of;
'Champ youre getting lit up out there, I need you to recover, stick and move, keep her away with the jab, sideways/lateral movement. When you're feeling it I need you to press when she throws, if she throws the kick or the cross, close the distance, clinch, throw heavy, get her down, set up the armbar and throw hard.'

Not a Ronda fan, glad she lost, but there's that 'what if' there for me, wondering what you guys think.

Yes.

u6qnx.jpg

Last edited:
Lol no bruv.

she got ko'd 1 minute into round 2, she was already beat. she prob didn't even Edmunds goofy ass 'advice' during the break

As the OP says, could a Jackson-esque cornerman have delivered advice that could have changed the result?

Edmund's idiotic 'you're doing great champ' just had Ronda doing more of the same.

- Ronda would have trained cardio for at least 3 rounds, the fact that she was tired was due to bull charging and getting lit up, the tank wasn't empty and she could have recovered fine had she taken her foot off the gas for the first half of round 2 (that's under the condition that Holly wasn't able to pour it on as much as she was in Round 1).

- Ronda had mild success in the clinch, her strength and raw power has shown its effectiveness in other fights, turn the fight dirty in the clinch with dirty boxing and heavy knees.

- Ronda at one point had the back, this is something that keeps getting overlooked. Really had she not jumped on the armbar and just laid on the heavy GnP she might have been able to end the fight there.

So with that in mind and how Ronda was at the end of round one, could a more competent coach have given advice that would have changed the result?

'Champ youre getting lit up out there, I need you to recover, stick and move, keep her away with the jab, sideways/lateral movement. When you're feeling it I need you to press when she throws, if she throws the kick or the cross, close the distance, clinch, throw heavy, get her down, set up the armbar and throw hard.'

Not a Ronda fan, glad she lost, but there's that 'what if' there for me, wondering what you guys think.
Seemingly that's good advice. But if you really think about it, he'd be asking her to implement things in the fight, she's never successfully done before. All while( if we are to believe her) being out on her feet from the very first exchange in the first round. I think if she was as hurt as we are made to believe(which did seem apparent) I don't think any amount of coaching would of changed anything, any more so than whatever Machida's coaches told him after the first round with Rockhold.

Ronda didnt have to go head hunting so early trying to destroy Holm in seconds. She could have just played the game she loved. Moved around, feinted, changed levels, use some teeps to disrupt the timing of Holly etc then cleverly sneak her way into clinches/ takedowns by using her brains and being creative AKA having fun playing the game instead of thinking shes the terminator.

Her corner could have told her that but instead theyre yes men scumbags who also fell for the hype.

Ronda could have been way more patient and intelligent in her approach.

no. theres nothing her corner could of said that could improve her horrific standup.

Rousey herself admitted to being rocked after their first exchange. There was no coming back. Holm had already won the fight.

I actually think you have got Some very good points there.

But i just think ronda is not able to execute that advice. And holly would be able to deal with it.

Edmund said it right, Ronda executed wrong. WAR Edmund!

No. The advice should have been given during months that they trained for the fight. There was no way they would have gotten any technical advice through after round one.

Maybe. Unfortunately the man who is a good enough coach was in the other girl's corner.

Holm is and was ALWAYS the better fighter. Accept it and move on. Also Cyborg would KO Ronda in round 1

She could have done better, but she most likely would not have won. She was spent by the end of round 1, and the best version of Ronda that night, with the best coaching most likely wouldn't have beat the version of Holm that showed up that night. Ronda just didn't have the tools to beat Holm.

yes, stick and move with a 10 x better boxer with a reach advantage..

sorry, wouldn't happen.

ground was inefficient cause holly made it so...

she will lose the next fight and go make rondahood movies and travibabies

It looked like Ronda was rocked and was on autopilot from very early in the fight. if she had realised this and slowed down a bit to avoid getting rocked even more later in the first round then she may have given herself time to recover.

The only thing that could have saved her after the first round - I think - was a Hail Mary sub from pulling guard. I wonder if Rener wanted to give her that advice instead of death-staring Edmund...?

In the 2nd round, if she had danced around more and made Holly come after her, then she may have had more opportunity to get a clinch and get a judo throw to work.

Back