Could Lawler move up to 185 and make some waves?

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it would be really interesting to see what Lawler could do at 185 now that he's more seasoned and has a championship run under his belt. Imagine him vs Weidman, Bisping, Silva and Kennedy. Absolute wars all of them would be.

No. The wars at WW have already taken their toll on him, as well as USADA.

He is pretty damn undersized and lacks the power and maybe even the chin at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing him mash Gian Villante's stupid face a little though.

I don't think so. A move up in weight is good for some fighters, like Rumble, that were absolutely killing themselves to make the cut. But when you are a natural fit at a certain weight class, and you lose in that weight class, the grass probably isn't greener against bigger opponents.

He is pretty damn undersized and lacks the power and maybe even the chin at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing him mash Gian Villante's stupid face a little though.

One thing he never lacked at middleweight was power

No TS that time has passed

No. He performed decently during his MW run, but sticking at WW is his best option. Doesn't really matter if he gets the belt back, the man's legacy is cemented.

If he can KTFO of Melvin Manof Absolutely. Lawler is a killer. It wouldn't be a smart move but absolutely he would do decent in MW. Not as good as in WW tho.

Lawler vs Kennedy, Lawler vs Romero, Lawler vs Vitor, Lawler vs Bisping, Lawler vs Hendo.. All entertaining and realistic.

I think it would be really interesting to see what Lawler could do at 185 now that he's more seasoned and has a championship run under his belt. Imagine him vs Weidman, Bisping, Silva and Kennedy. Absolute wars all of them would be.

He could starch guys like Bisping, but the length on guys like Anderson is too much for him.

He could do well until he ran into guys like Anderson.

There may be a few fun fights for him there but I think he would get beat by most of the top 10.

I wouldn't say he lacks the power, especially since he used to hit even harder at MW.
He will be smaller than the top 10 guys though, and his style doesn't do him any good at MW against bigger, rangier men who have a lot more KO power on average than WW's
Ironically one of the guy he would have the best chance against in the top 5-6 is the champ..

No doubt TS... Would love to see him at 185lbs. People often forget when he fought at 185lbs, he didn't have a top tier regiment back then as he does today...

TS what are you smoking?

185 is full of killers.

Weidman would take him down beat him up, Rockholt would kick the hell out of him and then sub him if he couldnt put him away on the feet. Romero is a bigger, better version of Woodley and we saw how that went at 170. Bisping is the only shot he'd have because of Bispings weak chin. but Bisping probably jabs out a decision.

No just look at his record at MW before coming back to the UFC.

Back