1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Could khabib beat Maia?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Matchup Discussion' started by Jpenwell14, Jan 20, 2020.

1. I think that will put some perspective on masvidal and where he ranks against the biggest names right now.

Who is really tougher to deal with on the mat? Maia or Khabib?

2. Congo66 Silver Belt

Khabib beats Maia easily because he does it standing.
    If Maia can't take you down he loses and his wrestling is about as bad as his stand-up.

Masvidal ranks exactly where his record suggest he ranks 0 losses are better than 13.

3. cubanstogie White Belt

Maia wins 1 out of 10 via lucky submission. Like kimora or heel hook from his back.

4. BFoe Fedor Fight Week—WAR GOAT! Platinum Member

I love Khabib, but Maia eats his face off. This was a dude who fought at MW, and has some of the best jits in MMA. Maia wins, no doubt.

5. Leoimba White Belt

Go to sleep lol. Sherdog is going full retard these last couple of days.

6. ulysse Life is tough ; Life is good

I would say Khabib. He is younger and he is a better striker.
    But I would like to see that fight for sure ; Maia have his chances !
    Funny you are asking ; since I was wishing for a similar fight 5 years ago : Maia vs GSP

7. cubanstogie White Belt

typical internet tough guy, no opinion himself yet calls someone a retard when in person would hide in corner. Khabib throttles Maia 9 out of 10. What do you think wall flower.

8. RoJo303 Banned Banned

Would be awesome. If Khabib wins, it is because he keeps it standing. With that being said, we don't know how good Khabib is at TDD and avoiding the clinch, as his whole game is predicated around it. It is interesting that poor Askren, who is hated by Dana, got Lawler (some of best TDD in the game/sprawl and brawl) and Maia, when Khabib has just feast on a buffet of under sized strikers, jack of all trade/master of none the fighters and offensive BJJ guys.

It is an unpopular opinion maybe, but I think 2015 Aldo and Chad give Khabib a heck of a time, and even modern Donald gives Khabib a hard time with his incredible ground game and striking advantage. Khabib has never fought anyone that does not fear the ground, and the reason can be found in Ali's match making, who is trying to do the same with Islam and duck Fighter Kevin Lee. Ali does the UFC's dirty work so he can have his fighters get easy match ups.

9. cubanstogie White Belt

Maia has one chance and one only. Submission. I root against Khabib every fight but he man handles everyone, has lost one round in his life yet one dimensional Maia who has loss to many lesser opponents "eats his face off". Delusional

10. TheScorpionDude Get over here! ~~~~~~~~~~~~==>

Depends on how old Maia is.

Cause Maia is a pretty big dude.

If Maia is young Khabib will basically do 90% of the work for him. He will jump straight in his guard and get choked.

If there is a bad matchup for Khabib out there, this is that matchup.

And if they keep it standing then Khabib will have to do something Anderson Silva couldn't.

11. BFoe Fedor Fight Week—WAR GOAT! Platinum Member

I’m delusional? Do you not understand weight classes? Maia is a big motherfucker. You think Kahabib is just going to take him down at will? Out-grapple him? No. He’s lost to lesser opponents? Remind me which 155ers he’s lost to? Like I said, I’m a Khabib fan, but let’s not get crazy. He’s not beating a Jiu-Jitsu ace who’s fought for welterweight and middleweight titles.

12. Genisys Brown Belt

Maia is way too big for Khabib. Khabib uses his wrestling advantage to win fights and taking Maia to the ground would be bad news for Khabib. Khabib would win a kickboxing match against Maia, but not an MMA fight. Does Khabib have a fight in his entire career where he tried to keep it standing the whole time?

13. cubanstogie White Belt

I didn't say he lost to 155'ers. He fights at 170 and 185 he's not making 155 . Khabib probably walks around at 170, so could fight him there. Maia lost to three wrestlers in a row, Woodley, Covington and Usman, and he beat Askren. Khabib much more like the 3 winners than Askren who has zero stand up. Maia too slow to hit Khabib, and If Maia doesn't submit other 3 what makes you think he submits Khabib. I personally think It would be the most boring fight to watch. Maia flopping hoping to submit from back all night like he does agains superior fighters. Like I said , Maia wins 1 out of 10 with submission. There is no denying Maia is king of BJJ but he submits average to good fighters, the elite guys are all decisions. And no Askren is not elite in UFC.

14. Leoimba White Belt

Maia winning by lucky submission is the dumbest thing u could say...what is he gonna do KO his opponent. That is why ur retarded. And if u read my Post, I called u a retard. That is my opinion of ur comment. Sucks ur fickle little ego got salty over some comments made by a "internet Tough guy" whatever that is lol.

15. cubanstogie White Belt

not salty at all(I asked my teen what that meant) just pointing out that obtuse poster who cant make his point calls someone a retard. Clearly you're uneducated if thats the word you come up with not to mention disrespectful to people with disabilities. The fact remains, Khabib has not lost a fight maybe not even a round, yet you think a one dimensional fighter who has one way and one way only to win is actually going to eat his face off. I don't care if he weighs 15 pounds more , he can have it. Maia has nothing to set up his BJJ with Khabib, no way he reaches, flops, or feints his weight into submission. He can try all night for submissions off his back while Khabib pounds his ass. Thats the way I see it. You see it as Maia eats his face off, we'll never know because Maia doesn't have a route to a title fight. Go back to your video games and live in your fantasy world.

16. Leoimba White Belt

that is too much for me fam. u win.

17. cubanstogie White Belt

thank you, I hope you learned your lesson.

18. Towerworld Brown Belt

Ridiculous, even on the ground Khabib likely would beat Maia in a close fight. Khabib won't take that risk though he would keep the fight standing and win a boring but lopsided decision.