Could Kayla Harrison be the next Rousey?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Damon3388, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Damon3388

Damon3388 Purple Belt

Following on from the Teddy Riner thread (complete bullshit about his reported earnings and net worth aside), I was wondering if 25-year-old American judoka Kayla Harrison could make a Ronda-like splash in MMA?

She's an Olympic Gold Medalist (2012), a World Championship Gold Medalist (2010) and two-time Bronze Medalist (2012, 2014), and a two-time Pan American Games Gold Medalist (2011, 2015) in the women's 79kg weight class. She was Ronda's training partner during the 2008 Olympics, and they apparently remain friends. She's achieved more in judo than Rousey, albeit at a higher weight class (where there may be less competition, I don't know).

Reportedly she's considered making the jump to MMA, possibly after the 2016 Olympic Games. Given her size and weight (5'8", 165lbs/75kg), maybe she could be the one to really kick-start the women's 145lb "revolution", and be the one to rival 'Cyborg' in her own weight class.

What do people think? Could she successfully make the transition, and become an actual legitimate star (not just a can crusher)? Would it even be worth it? Discuss.

2. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

I don't know if she'd do well with a cut to 145. I believe she had issues previously in her judo career trying to cut to a lower weight class, and I don't know if that resulted in any lasting issues.

3. Emjay

Emjay And again and again and again and ag.. zzzzzzzz

There's no next Rousey

4. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Didn't Rousey start at Super Heavy Weight?

5. LeeOx

LeeOx Blue Belt

I like the idea, but it'd first depend on how she handles on being hit/striking, then on whether she can put it all together very well. Ronda's teammate Marina Shafir was touted to be the one to beat Justino, and, although she wasn't an Olympic medalist, she's still a good judoka and has good hands, but even she's hit a rough patch.

I'm all for it, though.

6. Damon3388

Damon3388 Purple Belt

Rousey competed at and won medals in Judo at both 63kg (until 2007) and 70kg. Harrison has competed and won medals at 70kg, but she's primarily competed in the 78kg (171.96lbs) weight class. Harrison is only an inch taller than Ronda, but does look noticeably thicker and has always been heavier, so cutting to 145lbs may be a task in itself.

Still, the chance to be a trailblazer and basically own your own weight class is a pretty unique and exciting opportunity. Given the hate and discounting of her acheivements that Ronda cops, though, being the queen of an even shallower talent pool may not earn the "respect" you'd expect for a martial artist.

7. Cuauhtemoc

Cuauhtemoc Pragmatic Technocratic Authoritarian

It isn't just about being good at Judo, that is great and all but it's about the style she uses in Judo. Ronda is very good at the jujigatame, the armbar. If that judoka is good only at a few specific throws which rely heavily on the gi she may not do as well.

Sure the athleticism, the balance and the overall judo knowledge will help but not as much as having the best armbar in the division.

OTOH, 145 is weaker.

8. Gorbag

Gorbag Banned Banned

Does she have the motivation and drive for MMA as Rousey obviously had? Coming from whatever combat sport is no guarantee for anything, she must convert to a new sport that include striking and no-gi, but judo at her level is a very good foundation though.

9. Royhalibut

Royhalibut Blue Belt

Scrolled right the the end and was dissapointed that there was no sexy pic. Please remember to post one when talking about these chick fighters, it's the most important part.

10. Royhalibut

Royhalibut Blue Belt

They should have a women's open weight grand prix. Would be cool

11. DeepCover

DeepCover Brown Belt Platinum Member

Sorry, but we'll need pics first.

Thanks in advance.

12. Devout Pessimist

Devout Pessimist Tragic Vision

13. Gorbag

Gorbag Banned Banned

14. tdluxon

tdluxon Red Belt

Only if she can make 135. Starting a whole other women's weight class isn't realistic given how shallow the talent already is and that a lot of fans aren't really interested in women's MMA.

By the way, Is she hot? Otherwise she will never be popular like Rousey.

15. slyslickNwicked

slyslickNwicked Brown Belt Platinum Member

They are somewat different Judokas

Kayla Harrison is an Olympic gold medalist. Kayla Harrison is very good at judo. Kayla Harrison did not compete under the same rules that Ronda Rousey fought under. So, if you take a judo player now and put them in MMA, they don't have the same defense skills for the double legs, single leg takedowns, firemen's carries, that those had during my particular era.

-Dr. Rhadi Ferguson's

Could she wreck 145 probably yes with her athleticism, but in terms of newasa i dont think she compares to Ronda and it would probably take her 3 or 4 years to evolve her MMA skills. It would be sweet to watch another judoka wreck stuff at 145.

Imagine Kayla, Marloes, Budd and Talita Noguera that Bellator FW would be interesting

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  16. WhalingDan

WhalingDan Blue Belt

Looks promising , hope she takes it all the way

17. fearoth

fearoth Silver Belt

[​IMG]

big gril

18. NinjaNiK

NinjaNiK Алфа Краљица Platinum Member

It depends on how dedicated, and determined she is to successfully transition, but also what gym/camp she ends up with. Ronda is clearly unique because here we have Marina Shafir, who is less decorated than Ronda, but also kinda sucks at this MMA thing, and they train at the same gym.

I would love to see more top female athletes transitioning to MMA, but it will only work if they are really about this life.

19. Great Angus

Great Angus Blue Belt

I wish I had arms like hers. She puts Charles Atlas to shame.

20. Gunny

Gunny Gold Belt

Kayla is an awesome girl and would be a wonderful addition to the sport. I was able to catch her attention on Twitter a few years ago (pre-gold medal) and asked her about an MMA future. She gave a fairly coy response that I took to mean she'll probably make the jump if it seems like there's a clear road for her. She's not the fuck-u-I'll-do-it-my-way type personality that Ronda is but if WMMA is in a stable, healthy place with a division for her I think she'll do it.