Could Jones vs Gustafsson 2 happen at UFC 182?

boozeco2005

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The current rumor is that Pettis/Melendez will headline 182 most likely in Las Vegas. But given the fact that Pettis is extremely injury prone, I doubt that the UFC wants to hitch all their hopes to that fight, especially with it being a year end card. So I was thinking about the other possible title fights they could have that the timeline might line up with:

WBW: title fight in july so it could line up
FW: title fight in august so it could line up
MW: title fight in july so it could line up

I know Jones just defended last month and it would make some sense to have him defend before the end of the year, but IMO Jones/Gusta 2 would easily be the biggest fight of the year. Also, dana mentioned having Jones/Gusta 2 in a stadium in Sweden but this is just assuming that that doesn't happen. The only other fight that might be bigger than that would be something like Anderson/Vitor 2 or something very high profile. So what are your thoughts?

They will most likely place two other top lightweight contendors against each other in a title eliminator match on the card. If Pettis/Melendez gets injured, they could just promote one into the main event.

Maybe Jim Miller/Cerrone winner vs. Henderson/Khabib/Thomson/RDA?

As much as I want Jones to smash Gus in the rematch, I really do hope the fight takes place in Sweden. A packed arena full of 60,000 people would be an amazing sight for a UFC card. It would be epic.

i heard they want to make it in sweden

UFC 178 needs main event and I think this fight is the only option.

In order to get 60000 Swedes to the arena in the middle of the night they really need to lower the prices for tickets... Prolly with alot, and I'm not too sure that the UFC is ready to do that?

Anyhow, I really doubt that it's gonna be in Sweden. I hope I'm wrong since I live in Stockholm but I doubt it..

As much as I want Jones to smash Gus in the rematch, I really do hope the fight takes place in Sweden. A packed arena full of 60,000 people would be an amazing sight for a UFC card. It would be epic.

it was pretty surreal when a bunch of "journalists" and shertards came out saying that no way Jones would "allow" the fight to take place in Sweden.

?

so now not only does Jones' run the UFC, he's willing to join into the fray of really poor decision making? don't want a full stadium and premium ticket price? Makes zero sense why they would hold this fight anywhere but Sweden.

And some "journalists" were actually cooing about how Jones deserves not to fight there. I honestly think they were scared that the venue would affect Jones' ability to fight and wanted to believe it wouldn't happen,.

the real question is, will he fight?

wont he delay for like 3 months?

lets wait and see how it unfolds

I think it's entirely dependent upon how the rest of the schedule plays out with their other draws.

I could see Weidman vs Vitor in December with Gil vs Pettis as the co-main if Weidman escaped his Machida fight unscathed. You'd have to assume if Machida wins they'd do Vtior vs Machida in Brazil.

November is Cain vs Werdum.

September is in Canada and I THINK they'll try to squeeze Rory (if he wins vs Woodley) vs Hendricks there for the WW title.

So either Jones vs Gus 2 is in October or they'll run it in late August/September.

Also...does anybody realize that jones hasn't defended his belt in vegas not even once? Of course he was scheduled to against hendo but its a shame that the #1 p4p guy in the world and best lhw of all time hasn't defended his belt in the biggest fight city in the world. This is another reason why I'm hoping they make this fight for 182

I know if it's up to jones and Jackson the fight will be delayed as long as possible. I believe Jackson said he wanted to delay this fight to mess with Gus.

For a Toronto native, who is just finishing up 4 years away for school, I would be shocked, but so amped if Jones-Gus II also happens in Toronto.

Shocked because I dont think the UFC would do that, unless they had to (other fights moved around). But if they did, 100% I would by lower bowl seats.

The fact that we havent heard anything about an October PPV, suggests that Dana and co may be trying to plan a hypothetical stadium show in Sweden.

the real question is, will he fight?

wont he delay for like 3 months?

lets wait and see how it unfolds

I'm almost positive coach Jackson said he wants to delay the fight for mental games in Gus . Not sure how I feel about champs delaying fights just because they don't feel like fighting . Being injuried is one thing, just feel like not going to work is another.

Back