Could Jacare Souza succeed ?

Lets get back to the question though, absolutely no hs wrestler would stand a chance.

Last edited:
Are you friggin kidding me?

This is a primo example of the blind loyalty to a certain fighter or system or flat out ignorance. Not sure why, but I sorta expected more out of this forum.

I think part of the reason is not enough guys really have transitioned from BJJ to wrestling or Judo aside from dabbling enough just to get a bit better. I think if you experienced some mid level Judo or wrestling comps your opinions would change.

Conversely, I DO feel alot of good Judo guys and wrestlers have transitioned to BJJ therefore they have a healthy respect for the system and understand the specialization it takes to be top level.

Anyway, I said all that to say this. Jacare is a phenomenal grappler, however we are largely comparing his Judo and wrestling by watching him beat up mostly on BJJ guys in BJJ comps. There is a whole different dynamic by wrestling wrestlers in a wrestling match or playing Judo against a true blue high level Judo guy. He would be wrecked in both situations.

^^^ This is a good point. Watching Jacare takedown top level BJJ comp skewed my vision since most of them arent 'top notched' wrestlers (or close to)
But i still feel that HS wouldnt cut it

Why do people think that HS wrestlers wont cut it? Because they are young? There have been tons of judokas and wrestlers that have won worlds or olympics in their teens.

Teddy Riner won his first gold at 17 years old and Ryoko Tamura placed bronze at 16 years old.

Why do people think that HS wrestlers wont cut it? Because they are young? There have been tons of judokas and wrestlers that have won worlds or olympics in their teens.

Teddy Riner won his first gold at 17 years old and Ryoko Tamura placed bronze at 16 years old.

yeah the average high school wrestler would have probably 4 or 5 years of wrestling under his belt and UNDERSTAND HOW WRESTLING WORKS! (some people are blindly looking at his athleticism, they need to realize wrestling is a whole new ballgame)

Jacare is almost as athletic as GSP! Of course he can succeed!! I think he will have more MMA success than Maia (and Im a big Maia fan) bc of his athletism.

Have u ever watched his BJJ matches? Youtube his highlight reel!! Time to go to school son! =)

^^ Uh... so what? He dominates abunch of BJJ guys who are not very good at Judo or wrestling?

Put a high level wrestler or Judoka in against those same guys and they'd dominate the TD's with ease. Infact its been proven at Mundials and ADCC.

That has no bearing on how he'd do in top level wrestling or Judo. These are very specific sports.

^^ Uh... so what? He dominates abunch of BJJ guys who are not very good at Judo or wrestling?

Put a high level wrestler or Judoka in against those same guys and they'd dominate the TD's with ease. Infact its been proven at Mundials and ADCC.

That has no bearing on how he'd do in top level wrestling or Judo. These are very specific sports.

+1
Good point ryo, but i think their boner for jacare is in the way and they cant read these posts were putting up

actually Jacare ragdolled Matt Lindland a silver medalist in greco.

actually Jacare ragdolled Matt Lindland a silver medalist in greco.

ummm he beat him on the ground with BJJ but he got taken down (wrestling), do you people understand the fact that in mma/bjj YOU CAN USE BJJ WHERE IN WRESTLING YOU CANNOT

Yes I have read all the backhanded comments about natural athlete...

BUT, I think Jacare would be good at most sports because he is, like so many have said, a natural athlete. His skills really remind me of people that are good at multiple sports. If he had put the effort into it, I'm sure he could have gotten very far in Judo, and probably far in wrestling. I think he'd also be great at football if he could run fast enough. With his quick directional changes on the feet and hand-eye coordination, I think he could be a very good running back.

Yes I have read all the backhanded comments about natural athlete...

BUT, I think Jacare would be good at most sports because he is, like so many have said, a natural athlete. His skills really remind me of people that are good at multiple sports. If he had put the effort into it, I'm sure he could have gotten very far in Judo, and probably far in wrestling. I think he'd also be great at football if he could run fast enough. With his quick directional changes on the feet and hand-eye coordination, I think he could be a very good running back.

yes but people arent saying "would jacare be could in wrestling if he trained at it to get used to it?"
they are asking if he could beat collegiate wrestlers now which he could not

I agree, but he has the specific qualities that make for good Judo athletes. If he had spent his career focusing on Judo, I think you'd agree he could have been very successful.

ummm he beat him on the ground with BJJ but he got taken down (wrestling), do you people understand the fact that in mma/bjj YOU CAN USE BJJ WHERE IN WRESTLING YOU CANNOT

jacare took down lindland

jacare took down lindland

that was not a wrestling match, punches, kicks, flying sub attempt and guard pulls to worry about. You are not suggesting that Jacare could beat ML in wrestling when only wrestling is all he had to worry about right?

that was in a mma fight...punches, kicks, flying sub attempt and guard pulls to worry about. You are not suggesting that Jacare could beat ML in wrestling when only wrestling is all he had to worry about right?

Are you saying he -couldn't- beat ML in pure wrestling?

Back