Could Invicta Benefit from Rousey's Popularity?

All MMA gets helped by having more eyes on it!

Seeing as how WMMA is replacing regular mma all thanks to Rhonda's recent success could Invicta somehow ride her coattails into mainstream recognition as well? Since female mma is what the public wants right now shouldn't an organization that only specializes in wmma such as Invicta see a surge in the near future? And if it does should Ronda switch orgs and leave regular mma alone? What do you guys think?

I think yes it should and will, similar to how other "regular mma" orgs were able to be succesful by capitalizing on the UFCs success.

I also think "regular mma" includes WMMA now and that she should do whatever her manager tells her is best for her when her contract is up.

The UFC promote Rousey not WMMA.

wrong. The fact that Meisha gets second bill on cards is proof of that. Beyond that...maybe not so much but they definitely do promote more than Ronda.

Maybe I was a little harsh.

You had me following you until the suggestion of Rousey leaving for Invicta.

I just don't see how the growth of one women's division in the UFC could thus somehow make Invicta...bigger than the UFC because it has more women's divisions? (easily corrected by the UFC adding more women's divisions I suppose) and then Invicta thus somehow being able to provide better opportunities for Rousey than the UFC does.

But whatever, the whole purpose of the site is to discuss MMA and that includes some wild speculation.

Anyway, I overreacted and was a bit of a dick. The OP isn't THAT horrible.

props to you sir. it takes a big person to admit these things.

Damn, didn't mean to murder this thread. It's really not that bad.

haha! that got me chuckling pretty good.

No worries man. It wasn't very thought out not clearly written.

I guess in the up coming months we will see if Rousey's success will have a positive impact on wmma in general or if she was just the Jennie Finch of mma.

mmmmmmmm, Jennie Finch...

Really, is it though?

yes.

You do know the women's college softball world series on ESPN draws more viewers than the average free UFC card...

why would you know that? for the record, I didn't either. I didn't know it was that popular and I watch it.

I think yes it should and will, similar to how other "regular mma" orgs were able to be succesful by capitalizing on the UFCs success.

I also think "regular mma" includes WMMA now and that she should do whatever her manager tells her is best for her when her contract is up.

Not really. There's still a sideshow aspect to it similar to the early UFCs or Kimbo Slice. I'm going to wait a year or two for the newness of wmma to wear of before I decide where it stands.

This message is hidden because Bad Romance is on your ignore list.

Judging on the responses, I did something right.

Casuals don't care about WMMA just Ronda

This right here. Female fights just won't ever be that popular, any more than the other female sports but even more so because of the brutality. I think if Ronda Rowdy has one tough fight where she's bloodied and battered, that will turn away a lot of casual fans, especially if she loses that fight.

Not really. There's still a sideshow aspect to it similar to the early UFCs or Kimbo Slice. I'm going to wait a year or two for the newness of wmma to wear of before I decide where it stands.

who gives a shit where you think it stands? are you the deemer of these things? I'm gonna go ahead and say no, you're not.

Judging on the responses, I did something right.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

wrong. The fact that Meisha gets second bill on cards is proof of that. Beyond that...maybe not so much but they definitely do promote more than Ronda.

They promote Miesha only as a rival to further hype Ronda Rowdy. Or maybe because she actually looks good in the Rebox "kit".

who gives a shit where you think it stands? are you the deemer of these things? I'm gonna go ahead and say no, you're not.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

And you are the deemer of these things?

Notice the heavy over the top hype by UFC and friends highlighting female martial prowess. We've all heard the catch phrases "once in an ever athlete", "beat up Cain", "most dominate athlete ever"...

Pro tip: If they keep having to say things like that over and over chances are it ain't true and they're trying to sell you something.

And you are the deemer of these things?

Notice the heavy over the top hype by UFC and friends highlighting female martial prowess. We've all heard the catch phrases "once in an ever athlete", "beat up Cain", "most dominate athlete ever"...

Pro tip: If they keep having to say things like that over and over chances are it ain't true and they're trying to sell you something.

women fighting mma is a fact.

the rest of that rubbish is just rubbish, whether true or not.

They promote Miesha only as a rival to further hype Ronda Rowdy. Or maybe because she actually looks good in the Rebox "kit".

now this very well could be true

and she does look good in it

This right here. Female fights just won't ever be that popular, any more than the other female sports but even more so because of the brutality. I think if Ronda Rowdy has one tough fight where she's bloodied and battered, that will turn away a lot of casual fans, especially if she loses that fight.

It happened with Gina. When Cyborg took her down and ground and pounded her until she turtled up it took all the wind out of wmma's sail. I remember the group of casuals I was watching with were all solemn afterwards. It was as if they witnessed domestic violence or something.

It happened with Gina. When Cyborg took her down and ground and pounded her until she turtled up it took all the wind out of wmma's sail. I remember the group of casuals I was watching with were all solemn afterwards. It was as if they witnessed domestic violence or something.

I even felt that when I saw the fight. I was ranting and raving that they let a man beat up a woman, and I'm normally more PC in public.

Dear god, I hope they didn't watch Cyborg vs Finney then. You would have had to drive them to a PTSD clinic.

Dear god, I hope they didn't watch Cyborg vs Finney then. You would have had to drive them to a PTSD clinic.

WMMA dropped of the radar for all of us after that fight. It's funny how years later some of those casuals and I picked up interest again with the rise of Ronda.

How could it not?? It definitely won't hurt plus with invicta bein on fight pass they will be fine

rousey appeals to the casual fan, 0 chance they will watch invicta.

rousey appeals to the casual fan, 0 chance they will watch invicta.

that's if you believe a "casual fan" (whatever that means) will always remain a casual fan.

i'm not even saying ronda's attracting a massive amount of new fans to the sport, but if you don't believe it's possible that people (esp. women) that get hip to the sport because of her would get interested in it beyond just watching RR's 2 fights a year, you're not being very open-minded.

fwiw, i don't know if invicta will DEFINITELY benefit from ronda, but if they know how to promote themselves they might be able to. it's very possible.

Back