Could Invicta Benefit from Rousey's Popularity?

Bad Romance

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seeing as how WMMA is replacing regular mma all thanks to Rhonda's recent success could Invicta somehow ride her coattails into mainstream recognition as well? Since female mma is what the public wants right now shouldn't an organization that only specializes in wmma such as Invicta see a surge in the near future? And if it does should Ronda switch orgs and leave regular mma alone? What do you guys think?

I don't think a women's organisation is going to attract a large number of mma fans

I don't think a women's organisation is going to attract a large number of mma fans

The most popular mma fighter is a woman and I don't think it's too far off to think some of the casuals exposed to her media presence would look for more female fights. And Invicta specializes in female fights. So in a way Cyborg could even indirectly benefit from Rhonda's fame.

I think that the Ufc should buy Invicta and have female only cards. They could call it UFC: Invicta or whatever.

Of course it will benefit. The more people that become fans of WMMA, the more people that will seek it out. Not sure by how much, but of course it can only help Invicta.

I think that the Ufc should buy Invicta and have female only cards. They could call it UFC: Invicta or whatever.

I can see that if WMMA becomes popular enough or surpasses men's mma similar to how women's figure skating and gymnastics are much more popular than men's.

Seeing as how WMMA is replacing regular mma

"WMMA" is regular MMA.

Could Invicta indirectly benefit from Ronda's popularity in the UFC? Sure. So could Bellator, WSOF, One FC, Jungle Fight etc. Anybody in the world who takes notice of MMA because of Ronda Rousey and falls in love with the sport might become a fan of any of these organizations.

Last edited:
This is one of the most senseless OPs I've read on Sherdog. And I was here for 99silva.

Under what realistic circumstance would it ever make sense for Rousey to leave the UFC for Invicta?

This is one of the most senseless OPs I've read on Sherdog. And I was here for 99silva.

Under what realistic circumstance would it ever make sense for Rousey to leave the UFC for Invicta?

Ouch. Don't know who that is but it's nice to know I made somebody look good.

The desire to support female mma by lending her credibility and name recognition to a female only mma organization?

Ouch. Don't know who that is but it's nice to know I made somebody look good.

The desire to support female mma by lending her credibility and name recognition to a female only mma organization?

Maybe I was a little harsh.

You had me following you until the suggestion of Rousey leaving for Invicta.

I just don't see how the growth of one women's division in the UFC could thus somehow make Invicta...bigger than the UFC because it has more women's divisions? (easily corrected by the UFC adding more women's divisions I suppose) and then Invicta thus somehow being able to provide better opportunities for Rousey than the UFC does.

But whatever, the whole purpose of the site is to discuss MMA and that includes some wild speculation.

Anyway, I overreacted and was a bit of a dick. The OP isn't THAT horrible.

Last edited:
I'm sure they get some traffic because of her.

Damn, didn't mean to murder this thread. It's really not that bad.

Invicta will benefit at least indirectly in some manner, to what degree it's hard to say.

In the short term it draws some eyeballs to the athletes. In the longer term it will attract more and better athletes to women's MMA.

In the very long term, the bulk of the next generation of female fighters will essentially be the "Rousey" generation much in the same way that Tiger Woods inspired a generation of kids to take up golf.

Maybe I was a little harsh.

You had me following you until the suggestion of Rousey leaving for Invicta.

I just don't see how the growth of one women's division in the UFC could thus somehow make Invicta...bigger than the UFC because it has more women's divisions? (easily corrected by the UFC adding more women's divisions I suppose) and then Invicta thus somehow being able to provide better opportunities for Rousey than the UFC does.

But whatever, the whole purpose of the site is to discuss MMA and that includes some wild speculation.

Anyway, I overreacted and was a bit of a dick. The OP isn't THAT horrible.

No worries man. It wasn't very thought out not clearly written.

I guess in the up coming months we will see if Rousey's success will have a positive impact on wmma in general or if she was just the Jennie Finch of mma.

No worries man. It wasn't very thought out not clearly written.

I guess in the up coming months we will see if Rousey's success will have a positive impact on wmma in general or if she was just the Jennie Finch of mma.

You do know the women's college softball world series on ESPN draws more viewers than the average free UFC card...

Invicta will benefit at least indirectly in some manner, to what degree it's hard to say.

In the short term it draws some eyeballs to the athletes. In the longer term it will attract more and better athletes to women's MMA.

In the very long term, the bulk of the next generation of female fighters will essentially be the "Rousey" generation much in the same way that Tiger Woods inspired a generation of kids to take up golf.

I'm not too sure about this. I feel like in today's fast paced short attention span culture you can never be too sure about what will remain popular years down the line. There are so many factors affecting a sports popularity. You have changing values, demographics, political events, economic conditions etc...I think a recent example of that would be skate boarding. Back when I was in high school in the early 2000's skating was huge and Tony Hawk was definitely a household name. And no doubt he inspired many future generations to take up skating but for some reason it's popularity never surpassed its 2000s high point and in fact I think it's declining. I think sports like any thing else is subject to trends, the only difference is with so many entertainment options available it would be hard for any one sport to dominate public consciousness for very long.

You do know the women's college softball world series on ESPN draws more viewers than the average free UFC card...

No I didn't. If I did then I wouldn't have used that analogy. But that's college softball. Regarding pro softball it seems like the only thing mainstream media was aware of was Jennie Finch. You saw her in magazines, tv shows, interviews but not much about the league or teams or games. At least that was my impression.

Back