Could Gus do it again?

A little too early for me to form an opinion about the rematch. Both Gus and Jones have a very tough fight in front of them, and how they perform in those fights should be a good gauge of how each man has improved. I thought Gus won the first fight (although it was a very close fight, not a robbery by any means) and I can't wait for them to fight again. I believe Gus should beat Rumble and think Jones will beat Cormier so hopefully it'll happen next year.

33e0977.jpg

Screenshot_2013-10-29-19-48-34_zpsdd0eb815.png

I was already in the thread where the guy posted that and tried to argue that the Jones scores where biased and Gus scores we'rent. I've always said this was a close fight and an argument can be made for either guy.

if anything gus blew it the first time around

jones would be better prepared the second time around

jackson wasnt allowed in jjs corner that fight. i think if he was, he'd have told jj which takedowns to use and how to set em up better. and jj wouklda got more takedowns and a more clear-cut win

I don't know man. I'm a big Gus fan, beeing swede and all, and I had Jones winning the first with the smallest margin possible. I had him winning according to how the unified rules usually are applied but Gus doing more overall damage, just as I thought GSP won the mma game but Hendricks could be said winning the mma fight due to damage.

In a second fight I would favor Jones, mainly because of his camp. Jackson is one evil genious and I suspect they will be able to outsmart and outperform Gus camp during the fight camp.

I have a feeling Greg Jackson will come up with some master gameplay that will stifle Gus. I am not a fan of Jones but I think he will win again. (Though I thought Gus won their fight)

If only it were that easy. Like CPH said, either Jones pulls off another round/fight momentum changing single strike like last time or he loses because his footwork and boxing aren't up to par with Gustafsson's. Footwork is responsible for your offense and your defense, wrestling and striking. Jon's is quite inferior, and that's not an opinion. These shortcomings are too significant to fix in such little time, just a few fights later. Don't expect Jon's footwork and boxing to be much better in the DC fight tomorrow night because I doubt it will be. He looks like he's pretty much peaked and he did this in his last fight, showing _some_ improvement in his offensive and defensive boxing (particularly in the pocket but that was against a slow as hell and plodding fighter).

The elbow was the only significant thing that happened in the round. Which is why jones won it. Even the first three rounds, I only gave one of them to gus with the other two being draws.

Jon said that Gustafsson won rounds 1 & 3. He acknowledged that much. The only round that could've been scored a draw was round 2 and possibly even 4 but that's a later round and you're talking about the first three.

I got Jones via sub.

We still have to discuss the finer details of the account bet, but there's plenty of time for that.

You will be missed.

Sure, we have time. If DC can beat Jones then this may take even longer, since Jon will get a rematch I'm sure (and I have no problem with an immediate rematch). I just don't think I'm going anywhere though. I know a bad match up when I see one. Ask ToetoetheFace and TheDangerZone. :cool:

well I don't care what jon acknowledge, tbh.

I score by what I saw. gUS' performance is OVERrated

It would be crazy if both Jones and Gus lose and they have to fight to get the next title shot after Rumble.

I really believe, based on all the footage that i have seen lately, that Gus will finish Jon. He is developing faster than JJ is.

If Jones really focused on his wrestling then I think he could take it easier, but Gus is just a tough match up for him. Jones doesn't have 1 shot knockout power with his hands, so he'd need to land an elbow to likely finish Gus. Gus has nice boxing, is tall, and has a chin. Gus will always be a tough fight for Jones, even if Jones comes out victorious.

Equal to what you just did, that's for sure.

I contributed before that atleast, rather than dropping in solely to mention what everyone knows.

Well I was just pointing out that when you point out that someone doesn't contribute to the discussion, you actually aren't contributing to the discussion by pointing that out either, and of course I was aware that I myself wasn't contributing to the discussion by pointing out that you weren't contributing to the discussion by pointing out that the other guy wasn't contributing to the discussion.

Now can we please stop this bullshit and contribute to the discussion ?

:icon_chee

If Gus eventually gets the rematch with Jones, could he pull off a repeat or even better performance? Or did he fight the fight of his life the first time, ala Sonnen/Anderson I?

To me it kind of has that Sonnen feel to it. There is the difference however of Gus having a much higher ability to finish Jones than Sonnen had against Silva. However, Gus typically only finishes guys who come in flailing wildly.

Jones will be crazily prepared and will finish Gus this time.

Back